2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Institute Of Technology
somecrazyguy09
Apr 9 2008, 06:16 AM
GMC:er
i'm a junior in highschool and starting to think about which colleges i want to attend after i graduate. since all i want to do is play guitar i been looking at the Musicians Institute in california where they have GIT or the guitar insitute of technology. it seems like a really good place for guitar players and any other musician as well. some notable alumni are Paul Gilbert, Frank Gambale, and many other famous musicians. its supposed to be the best contemporary music school in america and offers classes in just about every aspect of guitar playing from jazz to shred. it offers real music degrees and transeferrable credits plus its in the middle of hollywood one of the best places in the world for music. it almost seems to good to be true so thats why i'm asking here if anyone has heard of MI and might have any extra information that can help decide if its worth checking out. it sounds like an awsome place but i dont want to go putting all my eggs in one basket. if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it. here is the schools main site if you havent heard of it before: www.mi.edu

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 9 2008, 09:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
Looks great. If I lived in the US, I would definetly apply there! Anyone know if there's something like that in Scandinavia? tongue.gif

By the way, what do people do after finishing that school? I can't really make a picture of what people do after they graduate there. Some may get a good band to play in. But in my head, there's not many options for most people..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 9 2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor
GIT is legendary. I've heard nothing but praise about that school.

There's more you can do with a music-degree than just play in a band.. I would reckon it's easier getting a job as studio-musician, composer (movies, advertisements, videogames, tvshows etc), high paying teacher positions, etc. when you have a MI diploma.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 9 2008, 10:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 9 2008, 12:53 PM) *
Looks great. If I lived in the US, I would definetly apply there! Anyone know if there's something like that in Scandinavia? tongue.gif

By the way, what do people do after finishing that school? I can't really make a picture of what people do after they graduate there. Some may get a good band to play in. But in my head, there's not many options for most people..

i am agree ith Trond if you are a musician doenst mean only band .music is abig field
so you have to open all these doors to start in the right way .
have a nice day smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 9 2008, 05:24 PM
Singing Instructor
school is always a good thing...I mean nothing bad could come of it...you can only learn stuff..so your field of knowlage will be much wider....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 9 2008, 05:46 PM
Only problem with music schools is that unless you get a scholership it's ussually VERY pricey..

On another note, I also want to attend GIT, allthough I used to think it was in tokyo? or maybe it's in both places? anyways, I probably won't apply because I'm afraid that though I will really enjoy the studies in the end I won't be able to do anything with what Iv'e learnt... music is a really tough buisness.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 9 2008, 05:50 PM
Instructor
I've been recently in L.A. well GIT is no longer the famous School, that most of our guitar-heroes have done...but is always a Mind-changing experience, that surely will help you in your music career...but I've to warn you do not expect that you will find a good job, the next day after you graduate! I'll suggest you some more formative 3 or four year-college, maybe the USC, they have a Degree called "Studio/Jazz" if I remember well.

Sincerely

Joe Kataldo

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Apr 9 2008, 05:52 PM
The acceptance test is probably also pretty hard... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 9 2008, 05:53 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Apr 9 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Only problem with music schools is that unless you get a scholership it's ussually VERY pricey..

you are wright there Iluha....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 9 2008, 06:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Apr 9 2008, 06:52 PM) *
The acceptance test is probably also pretty hard... unsure.gif

Not really if you...work Hard biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Alex87
Apr 9 2008, 06:14 PM
I tried to get into a simliar school here in denmark, twice failed the acceptance test sad.gif - its a free course, however they only want you if you play jazz all the time. snobs. lol

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 9 2008, 06:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex87 @ Apr 9 2008, 07:14 PM) *
I tried to get into a simliar school here in denmark, twice failed the acceptance test sad.gif - its a free course, however they only want you if you play jazz all the time. snobs. lol

I think that jazz school can prepare you better to the profession of the musician, even if you are not really into it...most of the great session player had a jazz background...and mainly because, I attend a Jazz class too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 9 2008, 06:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (somecrazyguy09 @ Apr 9 2008, 07:16 AM) *
i'm a junior in highschool and starting to think about which colleges i want to attend after i graduate. since all i want to do is play guitar i been looking at the Musicians Institute in california where they have GIT or the guitar insitute of technology. it seems like a really good place for guitar players and any other musician as well. some notable alumni are Paul Gilbert, Frank Gambale, and many other famous musicians. its supposed to be the best contemporary music school in america and offers classes in just about every aspect of guitar playing from jazz to shred. it offers real music degrees and transeferrable credits plus its in the middle of hollywood one of the best places in the world for music. it almost seems to good to be true so thats why i'm asking here if anyone has heard of MI and might have any extra information that can help decide if its worth checking out. it sounds like an awsome place but i dont want to go putting all my eggs in one basket. if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it. here is the schools main site if you havent heard of it before: www.mi.edu

Go to Check it during open days biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex87
Apr 9 2008, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Apr 9 2008, 07:53 PM) *
...and mainly because, I attend a Jazz class too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
haha biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 9 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
I can't resist to say that biggrin.gif ;D

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 9 2008, 08:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Really I cant think of anywhere id rather more go ! - someone book me a flight ! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
SamJ
Apr 9 2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, looks great.

Chad Smith and John Frusciante from Red Hot Chili Peppers also went there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 9 2008, 09:04 PM
Instructor
My advice is to check out all the sites and talks on the internet about all the guitar schools and their surroundings. It is very important to know what you want before signing in so you can better choose what you need in that school and VERY important to choose the right musical surrounding. If you're in a city that limits you to progress in a career - leave. It is better to go to the bigger city and study there, lots of players and jobs, big market. You can work during studies, and succeed.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 10 2008, 12:46 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That school looks great smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
somecrazyguy09
Apr 11 2008, 04:23 AM
i've actualy heard its not that pricey of a school to go to for one thing but its still not cheap i'm sure. and another reason i want to go here is because although most four year universities offer some jazz classes i dont just want to learn just jazz and at GIT they have classes for everything...including jazz. Also most universitites wont even let you apply unless you have many years of formal training and i'm self taught so i would'nt even get close to getting accepted to one of the colleges where i live. i'm actually going to attend they're summer program so in june i'me gonna fly down there and pretty much get to be a student there for a week getting all that the school has to offer. once i'm done there i'll let yall know how it is.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:29 PM