Speed Picking- Holding The Pick
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 8 2007, 11:43 PM
GMC:er
Well i love practicing speed picking and trying to play fast and clean at the same time but this becomes difficult when your working to hard. Ive been workin on small hand movements and controlling how I play but i feel like im holding the pick wrong. I saw how Kris holds the pick in the Alternate Picking lesson but i cant make out exactly how its being done.

Can someone clarify to me how when alternate picking how i should hold the pick going down the string and then up. And possibley what picks are best for alternate picking ( If there even is a best choice ). Dont know if im supposed to play with lights, heavys ,or mediums. I like mediums but my guitar teacher said " try to use heavys ." .

Also- Ik im supposed to angle the pick- But how much angle ?

Sry for all the questions tongue.gif biggrin.gif -John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 9 2007, 12:02 AM
For starters, I think the pick to use is personal preference. However, I do believe that thicker picks will work best for alt picking because they don't have as much bend which is more effective for the smaller picking motion you're after.

And to hold the pick, I hope this explanation helps. I think you hold the pick the same way whether you are up stroking or down stroking. It seems impractical to try and switch the angle that quickly when alt picking!

If you rest your pick flat on the top of one string, lift the right side of your pick up until there is about a 45 degree angle and I do believe that is the way Kris had explained to hold your pick.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you further!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AIB234: Mar 9 2007, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 9 2007, 12:10 AM
That Did help - THANKS cool.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 9 2007, 12:15 AM
Anytime!

Glad I was of assistance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:21 AM