Glissando Vibrato
Ben Higgins
May 6 2012, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Glissando Vibrato is that type of vibrato where a player slides their finger(s) from side to side over several frets to produce a crazy sound. Glissando means 'to glide'.

You can see George Lynch doing it here, starting around 3:04. (Although it's worth watching the whole piece, of course !)

It really works well with a distortion that has good sustain, otherwise the note decays too quickly. It's quite a difficult techniue to do and I remember being incredibly frustrated when trying to learn it. You have to keep your finger and hand locked in one position and move it all together. Let's say we were playing a note around the 12th fret on the E string. If we wanted to get this Glissando Vibrato effect you would slide your finger higher than the 12th fret and then immediately back to somewhere lower than the 12th fret and then back up again. There's no real rule to how many frets distance you should slide.

It's quite a physical technique too, just watch how much vigour George puts into it.

Just experiment with it and until you feel it ! smile.gif

P.S. I've seen a lot of bassists using this technique too.. it seems to be quite popular in funk bass playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 6 2012, 06:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
May 6 2012, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
George Lynch is the master of this technique, I personally find his playing style very appealing. In one of his instructional DVD's he mentioned that his approach on guitar is mostly based on shapes and also very mathematical....I wish he would have explained the math side of it....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 7 2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ May 6 2012, 07:35 PM) *
George Lynch is the master of this technique, I personally find his playing style very appealing. In one of his instructional DVD's he mentioned that his approach on guitar is mostly based on shapes and also very mathematical....I wish he would have explained the math side of it....

George reveals a couple of his interval approaches here. Watch out for some truly atrocious tone, though ! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 8 2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor
I never knew that Dave has this show smile.gif I will look into more episodes biggrin.gif

I knew Greg Howe was a lot into this sort of vibrato as well!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 8 2012, 04:50 PM

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
May 10 2012, 09:02 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 7 2012, 07:57 AM) *
George reveals a couple of his interval approaches here. Watch out for some truly atrocious tone, though ! wacko.gif

Thanks Ben...I had seen this video a while ago but reviewing it again brought something in to light which went by me the last time wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 10 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ May 10 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Thanks Ben...I had seen this video a while ago but reviewing it again brought something in to light which went by me the last time wink.gif

It's always great when that happens !! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:38 PM