Pod Question
RobM
Dec 9 2007, 02:13 AM
GMC:er
I own a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT that I'm not so thrilled with as I can't really get the sound I'm looking for out of it. I'm not happy with the clean sound as it kind of sounds muffled and the metal sound out of it also sounds kind of muffled, neither one of them sound really crisp and clean like I want them to. Sure it has a lot of presets on it that sound OK but try and find your own sound and.....

SO I was thinking about asking for either a Pod X3 or Pod XT for Christmas and then either just playing thru that(kind of a waste of a good amp) or playing with the pod in front of my amp to get the sound I want.(does that make any sense)?

What other benefits would a Pod give me?

Or I guess I could trade in my amp and try to find somthing I like better? The amp is only about 2 months old though and my wife will probably be pissed, lol.

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 9 2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 9 2007, 03:13 AM) *
I own a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT that I'm not so thrilled with as I can't really get the sound I'm looking for out of it. I'm not happy with the clean sound as it kind of sounds muffled and the metal sound out of it also sounds kind of muffled, neither one of them sound really crisp and clean like I want them to. Sure it has a lot of presets on it that sound OK but try and find your own sound and.....

SO I was thinking about asking for either a Pod X3 or Pod XT for Christmas and then either just playing thru that(kind of a waste of a good amp) or playing with the pod in front of my amp to get the sound I want.(does that make any sense)?

What other benefits would a Pod give me?

Or I guess I could trade in my amp and try to find somthing I like better? The amp is only about 2 months old though and my wife will probably be pissed, lol.

What do you think?

Go to your local music equipment store, and tryout the POD's. If you like their sound better, you can use them in front of the amp and use the POD's own amp models and effects smile.gif The POD would probably give you more sounds than the Vox, and you could even record with it straight to your computer. If you do buy a POD, I suggest you buy the POD X3, because it's got more cool features and sounds than the Podxt.

With a POD you could even play at night without pissing off your wife biggrin.gif

Hope this helped

-Toni

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2007, 02:39 PM
Instructor
I don`t think you will benefit greatly over that Vox with Pod in terms of sound quality, but in terms of sound versatiliy you will definately. THe POD has some great modelling and recording features and it is portable. If I am not mistaken your Vox has a 10" speaker right? That is not much, you do need extra bass range for full sound. So the options are:

1. Buy the POD:
- IF you need lots of effects, sound versatiliy and good recording options.
- IF you don`t care much about sound quality as long as it is deacent for home practising and playing.
- IF you want to hook up your guitar on a computer and record easily with a lot ef effects.

2. Sell the Vox and buy a 12" 50W hybrid amp(maybe Peavey or Randall):
- IF you care about your metal sound and want to have deacent quality sound when playing loud, even for gigs.
- IF you don`t need no effecs but a reverb, and for the rest you want pedals because they are better sounding and a more gig-worthy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 10 2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks Guys for the input. Anyone else have any input on this matter for me? I'd sure appreciate it.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 10 2007, 05:55 AM
Learning Roadie
My 2c is this:

I have a toneport for what Ivan says: "- IF you need lots of effects, sound versatiliy and good recording options.
- IF you don`t care much about sound quality as long as it is deacent for home practising and playing.
- IF you want to hook up your guitar on a computer and record easily with a lot ef effects."

It might not be up to the full standard of the POD (it has less versatility and whatnot) but it does all that.

But that's it. I'd never use the tone I have with it for live stuff. I was at one point interested in getting a POD and using it for my tone, but since I've had my toneport and fender amp, getting a real nice amp (and my fender is great - just I want something one step up from it) is looking like the better way to go for me.

Also FYI I like the tone out of the valvetronix more than the POD.

Good luck whatever you do, and my best advice would be to try before you buy!

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 10 2007, 05:56 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Joey
Dec 10 2007, 06:26 AM
browse ebay and see if you change your mind lol
if youre lucky you can get amps for 1/4 retail price or lower
Im using a Crate amp that i bought for ~$150 total,
It was $500 retail anywhere else

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 10 2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure if I misunderstood but are you planning on running your POD through your amp?
I wouldn't advise that personally, I've never had much luck running Line 6 stuff through amps, tends to sound weak and digital.

Possibly just sell your amp and use that money plus your xmas money to buy a good amp? Sometimes theres no use trying to 'polish a turd' as the saying goes. Im not suggesting your amp is a 'turd' but if your not happy with the sound its giving, maybe get an amp you like the sound of, then build on that with effects etc?

David

This post has been edited by David.C.Bond: Dec 10 2007, 01:48 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 10 2007, 02:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 10 2007, 01:47 PM) *
I'm not sure if I misunderstood but are you planning on running your POD through your amp?
I wouldn't advise that personally, I've never had much luck running Line 6 stuff through amps, tends to sound weak and digital.
Agreed!
From what I've picked up listening to POD owners putting the POD infront of an amp is not the way to go. Rather a keyboard amp I've hear, or a PA.

A question for you RobM, what sound are you looking for?

In another thread I'm debating (mostly with myself) POD, Vox, Zoom floor boards. If you think abit outside the POD box you'll find that the competition has some boxes of their own that may proove to be fit.

EDIT: And I've tried to put - not a POD but - other cheaper multi effect boxes infront of amps and it always comes out very plastic sounding.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 10 2007, 02:59 PM

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 10 2007, 03:05 PM
Learning Roadie
From what I've picked up listening to POD owners putting the POD infront of an amp is not the way to go. Rather a keyboard amp I've hear, or a PA.

Putting the POD infront of your amp is a BAD idea, however if your amp has an Effects Return, you might consider putting the POD through that. it bypasses the guitar amp's preamp and just uses it for the amplification.

this does lower the maximum volume a little though so you might want to try it before going ahead and paying so much money.

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Dec 10 2007, 03:06 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 10 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks a lot for all of the information here, I guess buying a pod is the wrong way to go for what I want. I guess that's what I was originally thinking, but I just wanted those with more experience to give their input before I made my final decision.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2007, 05:49 PM
Instructor
Thats okay man. I tell you, if you wanna deacent sound sell that valvetronic for sure and buy at least a 12" speaker hybrid amp with a good drive. Try not to buy a 10" modelling amp next time, they are not too good. Even effects built in amps are not good. Just a reverb will do, then buy one pedal for metal and you will be happy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 10 2007, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 10 2007, 11:49 AM) *
Thats okay man. I tell you, if you wanna deacent sound sell that valvetronic for sure and buy at least a 12" speaker hybrid amp with a good drive. Try not to buy a 10" modelling amp next time, they are not too good. Even effects built in amps are not good. Just a reverb will do, then buy one pedal for metal and you will be happy.

ROFL, where were you 2 months ago when I bought the Vox, lol. I could have used this advice back then. now my wife is going to kill me when I tell her I thought the Vox was the amp I was looking for but I was wrong.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 11 2007, 02:46 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 10 2007, 11:49 AM) *

I highly agree with this. Get rid of your amp and forget the POD. Get yourself a good loud (15 watt min if its tube and about 60 watts min if its solid state if you plan on playing live ever) amp that has a tone you like. Don't think you'll be able to dial it in at home... if you can't get the sound you want at the store then don't buy it. The most important thing for tone hunting is your Amp. It is the foundation of your sound and will provide about 75% of the overall flavor of your sound.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... the guitar does much less for your tone than you think so investing in a good amp and then eventually good pedals is the way to go.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 11 2007, 07:38 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
And just to add to Hardtails recommendation which I agree 100% with. If you get a tube amp and try it out make sure that the volumes where you find the amp to respond the best (usualy loud) is a volume you'd be playing at home aswell. Or in case you never start gigging or rehearsing with a band you'd never tune up to that sweet spot ever and then, what's the use?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:27 PM