2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Amp Suggestions?, I like Metal (LOG, Megadeth, etc).
Sircraigery
Aug 4 2012, 11:34 PM
GMC:er
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for suggestions on small metal sounding amps.

I have a couple criteria:
- both a clean and a dirty channel (WITH A SOLO BOOST)
- 12" SPEAKER
- amp < 50W, or switchable
- 6L6 power tubes (for some reason, I like them better than the EL84's)

The absolute top of my budget is $1500, with lesser being better.

I have to admit, I'm sort of leaning towards a ENGL gigmaster & cab, OR a Mesa 5:50+. Any other ideas would be appreciated, since I don't want to miss any. For instance, does anyone in here play a Rivera and have a good recording of it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2012, 12:55 AM
Congrats you have pretty much answered your own question. And it's a fine answer at that! A Rivera, Soldano, Splawn, or Marshall would be in the running but I would say don't buy any amp you can spend an hour or so with first. No matter how far you have to travel, go to a music shop, BRING YOUR OWN GUITAR and try out the amp your thinking of getting even if you end up buying it online.

Todd

QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Aug 4 2012, 06:34 PM) *
Hi Folks,

- 12" SPEAKER

I have to admit, I'm sort of leaning towards a ENGL gigmaster & cab, OR a Mesa 5:50+. Any other ideas would be appreciated, since I don't want to miss any. For instance, does anyone in here play a Rivera and have a good recording of it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 5 2012, 01:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
5150 - Any of them, the tone is magnificent. Lam Of God used it, with a 6505+ as well. Trivium has used it, Evergrey, so many bands have gone to Peavey amp heads.

5150's are my personal favorite, of course if you want to drop SERIOUS cash, you can always look at Diezel or Axe-Fx

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 5 2012, 02:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I like the Peavey Valveking 112. I played on it last week. It's killer for metal!!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 5 2012, 03:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Aug 4 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Hi Folks,

- 12" SPEAKER

I have a laney, sounds awesome, and it is easy on the pocketbook
if you go to GMC radio through the search , under jstcrsn , song name is never look away, that was recorded with the laney

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Aug 5 2012, 03:34 AM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 5 2012, 05:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Aug 4 2012, 10:34 PM) *
Hi Folks,

- 12" SPEAKER

I would suggest Mesa Boogie Rectifier! It's a great amp and you will get your money worth! Also the value will stay and you won't loose a lot of money if you will sell it later!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 5 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
I would always recommend you to go with (or at least check out) the amp(s) that you are gravitating towards because your gut usually doesn't lie to you. smile.gif

I was really leaning toward a Marshall JVM but I got swayed by some reviews and went instead with an ENGL Powerball. I was not impressed with it and sent it back only to get the Marshall and wish I had just done that first.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 5 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You could check out one of the Blackstar combos. Those amps have great cleans and the gain channel has very clear note definition.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 5 2012, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 5 2012, 03:39 AM) *
I would always recommend you to go with (or at least check out) the amp(s) that you are gravitating towards because your gut usually doesn't lie to you. smile.gif

I was really leaning toward a Marshall JVM but I got swayed by some reviews and went instead with an ENGL Powerball. I was not impressed with it and sent it back only to get the Marshall and wish I had just done that first.

Well, I was leaning towards Marshall, but after playing on Peavey I changed my mind. I guess one would have to play on a variety of amps to see what they sound like.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2012, 08:55 PM
Instructor
I have not too much experience with small amps for metal, but I agree with the guys about going by yourself with your guitar to try all those amps. That's the only way to get what you are looking for.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 6 2012, 12:14 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 4 2012, 09:42 PM) *
I like the Peavey Valveking 112. I played on it last week. It's killer for metal!!!

I have the Valveking head, and I can say, for the money, its a great amp. I wrote a review on it a while back. I must say though, it is a head, and I do play it through a Marshall 1960A cab, so there is a noticeable difference between that and the cab.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 6 2012, 01:20 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 5 2012, 06:14 PM) *
I have the Valveking head, and I can say, for the money, its a great amp. I wrote a review on it a while back. I must say though, it is a head, and I do play it through a Marshall 1960A cab, so there is a noticeable difference between that and the cab.

That's cool! The amp I played was combined - head and cab in one. There are so many combos in the world. Glad you found something that works for you. When I pick up my guitar from the shop I will plug it into the amp I played. But I sure would love that 7 string. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 6 2012, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 5 2012, 08:20 PM) *
That's cool! The amp I played was combined - head and cab in one. There are so many combos in the world. Glad you found something that works for you. When I pick up my guitar from the shop I will plug it into the amp I played. But I sure would love that 7 string. smile.gif

You'll like that Valveking even more once you play it through a decent cab. Its possible to find a Valveking head for $300 used and Peavey 5150/6505 cab for about $100. Thats a killer halfstack for $400. Thats even less than what many solid state halfstacks cost. Right now I mainly use a Peavey Ultra Plus, which is the predecessor to the 5150/6505. It sounds somewhat similar to the 5150. The Valveking is still a great amp. I like it because its tone cuts through a mix. It also has a great clean channel, better than the Ultra Plus.

This actually leads back to the original post. If you want the best bang for your buck, go with the Ultra Plus. You will not find a better amp for the money. In fact, for high gain tones, it can run with the big boys. The tone on it is simply beastly. The amp isn't that popular because the 5150/6505 overshadows it. Plus it comes from the era when Marshall and Mesa ruled the roost, Peaveys were considered the poor mans Marshall. For many years they actually sold for little money. I got mine for $300 on craigslist about two years ago. They're not easy to find, and the price is going up on them, especially on eBay, but if you keep checking craigslist, I'm sure you can find for roughly the same price I got mine biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2012, 02:37 AM
I suggested the same exat thing in my previous post. Great minds think alike! smile.gif Ben and I are in full agreement on this bud. You really should try before you buy.

Also, ALEX has great suggestion with the MESA! Hard to go wrong with a Mesa smile.gif

But of course, to be honest, I (personally) wouldn't blow $1500 on a practice amp. I have a Half stack with a Line 6 Vetta HD head (does great emulations of all the amps mentioned in these posts), it's 200 watts and I have a RANDALL 4 x12. Sounds great even at low volume since the head is solid state. The entire rig cost

$450

Leaving enough to buy a couple of nice used guitars. Which I did smile.gif All for under $1500.

But that's just me. Everyone is different. Some folks wouldn't give you a nickel for my setup. And would pay 2k for practice amp because of it's badge and pedigree. Just goes to show there is not "best" as I'm always saying, there's just what's best for you. But seriously GO PLAY ANYTHING YOU MIGHT BUY! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 5 2012, 04:39 AM) *

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 6 2012, 11:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 6 2012, 02:16 AM) *
Right now I mainly use a Peavey Ultra Plus, which is the predecessor to the 5150/6505.

I still got my Peavey Ultra. I loved being able to switch being crunch for rhythm and ultra for lead. I felt though, that what I needed was a rhythm channel more like the ultra channel and then something extra for lead which is why I got something else but I guess you could always add a pedal onto it for extra juice. In terms of tone it's a great amp smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 6 2012, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 6 2012, 06:24 AM) *
I still got my Peavey Ultra. I loved being able to switch being crunch for rhythm and ultra for lead. I felt though, that what I needed was a rhythm channel more like the ultra channel and then something extra for lead which is why I got something else but I guess you could always add a pedal onto it for extra juice. In terms of tone it's a great amp smile.gif

The JVM is definitely a more versatile amp. Plus its got that classic Marshall tone, whats not to like? biggrin.gif By the way, did you ever get around to changing the tubes in the Ultra?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2012, 08:34 AM
Instructor
I'd also go for the Peavy/ Blackstar/ Mesa - great amps for metal! You can go and check'em out with your guitar in hand in the shops and if you think you can get lucky, try getting the one you have tested and you like, on ebay.

I have a friend who tried the Road King from Mesa Boogie, he liked it and bought one on ebay for 2000 dollars. It was almost new - as in it had all its labels and all, but it was bought for studio sessions and the studio that had it, had to be closed. So the owner sold it before even getting to use it... tough chance on the poor studio owner and what a big chunk of luck for my friend (my band mate in Aria)

+Quote Post
Yash
Aug 7 2012, 08:45 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 7 2012, 01:04 PM) *
I'd also go for the Peavy/ Blackstar/ Mesa - great amps for metal! You can go and check'em out with your guitar in hand in the shops and if you think you can get lucky, try getting the one you have tested and you like, on ebay.

I have a friend who tried the Road King from Mesa Boogie, he liked it and bought one on ebay for 2000 dollars. It was almost new - as in it had all its labels and all, but it was bought for studio sessions and the studio that had it, had to be closed. So the owner sold it before even getting to use it... tough chance on the poor studio owner and what a big chunk of luck for my friend (my band mate in Aria)

Ooh man, that was bad sad.gif Ouch ! Poor band mate ! Wish he gets back his investment, the Mesa wink.gif I am in love with the Road King. After getting a nice guitar and AXE FX, thats what I am aiming for cool.gif

But we still have at least 6 years till I get my first salary laugh.gif So, I keep waiting tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 7 2012, 08:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 6 2012, 07:25 PM) *
By the way, did you ever get around to changing the tubes in the Ultra?

Man, we're going back now.. I can't remember talking about changing them !! tongue.gif I didn't change any valves though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2012, 09:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Aug 7 2012, 07:45 AM) *
Ooh man, that was bad sad.gif Ouch ! Poor band mate ! Wish he gets back his investment, the Mesa wink.gif I am in love with the Road King. After getting a nice guitar and AXE FX, thats what I am aiming for cool.gif

But we still have at least 6 years till I get my first salary laugh.gif So, I keep waiting tongue.gif laugh.gif

No no, my band mate was the one getting lucky! The studio owner was the unlucky dude, because he had to sell the Mesa which my band mate bought for such a good price biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:21 PM