> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Zoom's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2012, 03:30 AM
Instructor
Hi Zoom!! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoom
Dec 29 2012, 06:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe

Thanks for taking me on.

I've been playing (electric guitar) now for about six years in fact I joined GMC about the same time. I have played quite a bit of acoustic guitar as well but only chords.

Music I like
Joe Bonamassa - Hendrix - Alter Bridge - Keith Urban - Muse - The killers - John Mayer . +

I've been working with Ben for almost a year on the Bushido lessons as an apprentice and really have come along way there especially with timing and bends.
I feel some areas I'd like to improve in are ear training, phrasing and also sweep picking and even some tapping.
Ear training. This is one area GMC has not been good for me as I'm not listening enough. I'm not learning how to work stuff out. I can work out basic chord progression in music but I am in awe of your ears Gabe laugh.gif I really think this is the most important thing for me to work on but because it's so hard I shy away from it.
Phrasing. I was doing a bit of work with Alex on this but still get lost. I did play on your British metal collab recently and think getting into more of these will help.
Sweeping. I like sweeping and in your last collab was the first time I've really used it. I've worked on a few lesson here dong major and minor and 7th arpeggio's. Here are some I've worked on over last couple of years
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...weeping-basics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/
Tapping. Another technique I'd like to use. Here's one I've tried.

Some of my latest video done for Bushido lessons

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 07:14 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for all this information! So we will concentrate on the topics that you listed! But let me say that the development of you ear must be now a high priority. This is the most important thing for a musician. I wonder what thing you are able to learn by ear... chord progressions? melodies? solos? complex sections? nothing?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Dec 31 2012, 02:27 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 30 2012, 07:14 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for all this information! So we will concentrate on the topics that you listed! But let me say that the development of you ear must be now a high priority. This is the most important thing for a musician. I wonder what thing you are able to learn by ear... chord progressions? melodies? solos? complex sections? nothing?

Thanks Gabe I think my new years resolution is ear training and like work out songs
I'm not to good. I can work out like some christmas carol melodies. Single note stuff.
I thought I might try and work out a song this one.
I've spent 1/2 - 1 hr on it so far and I havn't got to far. I'm thinking the Key is E, when the chords come in they are E and C# power chords then the bass riff
is F# - B - A - G# -A. I'm struggling with the octaves in the chorus at the moment.
Edit - chorus octaves = D-E-F# X 3 Then F#-G#-D-E Then run F#-B-G#-A on 2nd time through

Not happy with C# power chord I think It could be more like an inversion like B-C#-E

This post has been edited by zoom: Dec 31 2012, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 31 2012, 08:34 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! yeah, this is exactly what you have to do to train your ear. You train it and at the same time you are analysing bands and songs to incorporate tool into your own compositions.

Some differences, the C# chord is a minor chord. And the octaves in the chorus are: D# - E - F# // D# - E - C#. Try this and let me know how it feels!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 3 2013, 07:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 31 2012, 08:34 PM) *
Hi mate! yeah, this is exactly what you have to do to train your ear. You train it and at the same time you are analysing bands and songs to incorporate tool into your own compositions.

Some differences, the C# chord is a minor chord. And the octaves in the chorus are: D# - E - F# // D# - E - C#. Try this and let me know how it feels!

Cheers Gabe!

Yeah I'm amazed at how you analyse bands. It almost seems effortless for you.
I'm amazed how simple this song is really but sounds great.

What effect do you think he's using on the guitar in intro etc?
I'm thinking a tremolo but not really not sure.

Yeah I missed that octave going down to the C#.
So here's my take.
into = Drum 2 bars/ /Bass/ /guitar (E,B,G strings)E-C#m/ /Full in guitars E-C#m/ / / / F#-B-A-G#-A riff
Verse = E-C#m/ / / / / / / /
chorus = A//E// F#-B-A-G#-A riff (octaves = D#-E-F#/ /D#-E-C# // D#-E-F#//F#-G#-D#-E/ X 2 minus the E)
intro for verse 2 = open E open B open E - C# bend
Verse 2 and chorus
bridge / / / / (E,B,G strings)E-C#m-Then play E / / / /
Verse 3 / / / /
chorus X 2 F#-B-A-G#-A riff

I worked out another song also this week so I'm on a roll. It had a keyboard solo in it too which took me quite a while to get but
I got it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2013, 10:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Jan 3 2013, 03:12 PM) *
Cheers Gabe!

Yeah I'm amazed at how you analyse bands. It almost seems effortless for you.
I'm amazed how simple this song is really but sounds great.

What effect do you think he's using on the guitar in intro etc?
I'm thinking a tremolo but not really not sure.

Yeah I missed that octave going down to the C#.
So here's my take.
into = Drum 2 bars/ /Bass/ /guitar (E,B,G strings)E-C#m/ /Full in guitars E-C#m/ / / / F#-B-A-G#-A riff
Verse = E-C#m/ / / / / / / /
chorus = A//E// F#-B-A-G#-A riff (octaves = D#-E-F#/ /D#-E-C# // D#-E-F#//F#-G#-D#-E/ X 2 minus the E)
intro for verse 2 = open E open B open E - C# bend
Verse 2 and chorus
bridge / / / / (E,B,G strings)E-C#m-Then play E / / / /
Verse 3 / / / /
chorus X 2 F#-B-A-G#-A riff

I worked out another song also this week so I'm on a roll. It had a keyboard solo in it too which took me quite a while to get but
I got it. smile.gif

Now we are talking! Excellent mate! This is for me the best way to analyse bands because it's a modern way, and it allows to understand how contemporary rock/metal/alternative/pop musicians compose, structure and arrange their music. Remember to have all the analyses written down and easy to compare with each other... The intro effect seems to be a very soft tremolo as you said.

What's the next song??

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 9 2013, 07:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Attached File  The_Pretender.mid ( 39.18K ) Number of downloads: 73

Gabe thought I'd have a go at transcribing the bass and drums as well. It's not perfect I've missed a bar after 2nd chorus and the ending is not completed but I thought I'd see how far I've missed it anyway.
Here is the track I transcribed from.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2013, 05:02 PM
Instructor
This is great mate! You won't imagine how much you are training yourself by doing these type of transcriptions!! it sounds very close most of the time. Great job!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 14 2013, 01:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe I worked on this guitar solo. Not sure if your've heard of this band "Crowded House" they Kiwi/Aussie band.
Anyway the solo starts about 2:15. Took me a long time to get this not just the notes but also the phrasing.
What do you think I don't think it's prefect. Not sure about the slides in the 2nd bar.

I upload a midi file from guitar pro - cause I don't know if I'm allowed to upload the gp5 files?

Attached File  Dream_it_s_over_solo.mid ( 1.11K ) Number of downloads: 77

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2013, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Jan 14 2013, 09:53 AM) *
Hi Gabe I worked on this guitar solo. Not sure if your've heard of this band "Crowded House" they Kiwi/Aussie band.
Anyway the solo starts about 2:15. Took me a long time to get this not just the notes but also the phrasing.
What do you think I don't think it's prefect. Not sure about the slides in the 2nd bar.

I upload a midi file from guitar pro - cause I don't know if I'm allowed to upload the gp5 files?

Attached File  Dream_it_s_over_solo.mid ( 1.11K ) Number of downloads: 77

Hi mate! I didn't know the band, is this one of those "one hit bands"?? because I heard this song a million of times... smile.gif
The solo is really cool, it has some Hendrix vibes. You did a great job learning the main melody, but if you pay attention to the recording, you will notice that the player is playing more than one string during the solo, it's like a strumming where the higher strings are the more important ones... please check that.

I prefer midi files! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 16 2013, 09:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2013, 02:31 PM) *
Hi mate! I didn't know the band, is this one of those "one hit bands"?? because I heard this song a million of times... smile.gif
The solo is really cool, it has some Hendrix vibes. You did a great job learning the main melody, but if you pay attention to the recording, you will notice that the player is playing more than one string during the solo, it's like a strumming where the higher strings are the more important ones... please check that.

I prefer midi files! smile.gif

Thanks Gabe. Hendrix I get it. I love the way Hendrix mixes chords and lead together. I think of Hendrix as more a rhythm player.
Anyway I did cheat a little I had a look at a live performance and twigged as soon as I saw where his fingers where. So this is more in the vibe I
think. Look forward to your thoughts.
By the way Crowded house have heaps of hits although this song was the only one to really make it big in america. They have had a lot of big selling albums and hits in England/Europe and New Zealand/ Australia. In fact Neil fin and his brother Tim where knighted by the Queen of England for there Success.

This midi file contains both solo's. My first attempt and 2nd attempt. I am in bit of a rush so I hope I havn't overlooked anything.
Cheers. smile.gif

Attached File  Dream_it_s_over_solo.mid ( 1.79K ) Number of downloads: 74

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2013, 12:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Jan 16 2013, 05:41 AM) *
Thanks Gabe. Hendrix I get it. I love the way Hendrix mixes chords and lead together. I think of Hendrix as more a rhythm player.
Anyway I did cheat a little I had a look at a live performance and twigged as soon as I saw where his fingers where. So this is more in the vibe I
think. Look forward to your thoughts.
By the way Crowded house have heaps of hits although this song was the only one to really make it big in america. They have had a lot of big selling albums and hits in England/Europe and New Zealand/ Australia. In fact Neil fin and his brother Tim where knighted by the Queen of England for there Success.

This midi file contains both solo's. My first attempt and 2nd attempt. I am in bit of a rush so I hope I havn't overlooked anything.
Cheers. smile.gif

Attached File  Dream_it_s_over_solo.mid ( 1.79K ) Number of downloads: 74

Great! I also like those rhythmic Hendrix ideas! The transcription sound good not! Well done mate. smile.gif

This hit sounded a lot in Argentina, but I'm not sure if there are more songs by then that became popular here...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 17 2013, 07:32 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab

Thought I'd get you to check this out for an pointers before I try and speed it up.
I need more gain I think to get more sustain although that will make unwanted noise harder to control I guess?
I run out of frets at the end so I've just played the same note twice and then bent that note. Sounds ok to me?
I'm going to try and get this up to speed for the contest. I can play at 90bpm but needs work. I'm not sure I'll get to full speed for contest.
do you think I should pick easier piece for contest or just upload this at my top speed?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2013, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! This lesson is great, I didn't know it! I think that you are on the right track with this one but that you need days, maybe weeks to play it perfectly. The last sections are tricky and the overall timing should be tighter. You can add more gain and also a compressor to get a better tone and more sustain, if you add too much, you will have the unwanted noises issues that should be solved if you mute correctly the strings that you are not playing. You could use this one for the competition, but if you ask me, I would go for another easier one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Mar 2 2013, 03:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe

So I've taken your advice on choosing another tapping lesson and I thought this one will be really useful as I'll be able to add this to my general playing.
So just want to get know your thoughts?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2013, 12:19 AM
Instructor
Hi Zoom! yeah, this lesson sounds much better! You are very close to play it perfectly. Just concentrate on adjusting eve more timing and the volume of each note. But this would be aroun 9 and 10 in REC. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Mar 14 2013, 12:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe

Would like you like some feed back on this Mr big Rhythm lesson I'm working on.
I know the solo sections need work but more on the rhythm playing. Questions I'm asking myself are.
Do I need to palm mute more? Am I hitting to many strings? Is the tone right? I not sure those sixth intervals are right in tune.
The solo sections I feel are do able but speed wise with a bit of practice but I'm struggling with the slide bends in the last bit and then the string jump down to the last fast run.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Zoom! This lesson is so cool. That rhythm is killer. I think that you still need to practice more the rhythm section to feel more comfortable with the chord changes. I notice that you are always a bit after the beat when you play the chords, so concentrate on doing the changes tight.

If you pay attention to Fayeed's take, he uses a lot different levels of right hand palm muting to give this rhythm an special feeling. It makes it more expressive and groovy, I think that you should experiment a bit more with it. Some single note parts are played with palm muting and there is also an open 5 string there played with palm muting that I don't find in your take.

I also notice that the 6th licks sound out of tune, but I think that it's because there is one of the higher strings out of tune. Your tone is close to the lesson but maybe you could make it sound warmer with some more bass or less treble.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
zoom
Mar 21 2013, 02:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Thought I'd get you to see another attempt. I know it's not Fayeed yet but this is at my limit. Um the sixths sound a little better I checked tuning and found that I was playing one wrong note but it's still not 100 per cent. The last lick is almost there I think.
Thanks Gabe.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM