3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Triaxis Retubing Advice, tube junkie requires a fix ...
Neurologi
Sep 1 2009, 05:15 AM
GMC:er
Hi Muris,

I am a newbie to the GMC site and noticed by trolling through some older forum posts of yours that you have had experience in this department. I was wondering whether you could offer some advice and suggestions in this regard?

I have experienced the same problem you mentioned about hum and noise. I have tried numerous means to fix the issue. None of which have been overly successful. Of course, pumping up the gain (I can't help it!) does nothing to alleviate this. It has been a constant source of irritation to me in an otherwise awesome piece of kit.

My idea is that there is no way around it --- I need to retube the stock tubes (cheap and not of the best quality considering the purchase price) that came with the unit when I bought it brand new way back when. Many Triaxis users in various forums recommend it as they were not happy with the tone out of the box either.

I was stoked to find you have purchased a retube kit from Eurotubes. I too, was considering exactly that in the coming month or two. In particular, I had my eyes on the "Triaxis High Gain Low Output Option" in their catalog. Some time ago, I got my hands on the schematic diagram which confirmed there is a real need to tame the noise by a specific combination of tube placements in the appropriate stages.

My main question is: "did you find that the hum and noise were appreciably lowered by your action as you hoped and therefore easier to live with?". Like you, I don't use noise reduction and tend to not like the result if I do. More tends to be lost than gained. In short, I am hoping this will be the longed for 'magic bullet', so to speak.

Any and all advice is most welcome.

Many thanks,
Ken

PS GMC has provided a big boost to my desire to dust off my gear and actually start using it again! cool.gif

Addendum:

Since sending this as a private message, I realise only now that there is a specific forum that is appropriate for this topic and there are at least a few other folks out there in GMC land that could potentially chime in who also are the proud owner of a Triaxis. Therefore, I am reproducing it here. That as well as it also seems Muris is on his vacation ... rolleyes.gif smile.gif

I was most surprised to find there is even a fresh topic started by maharzan who even now has his hot little hands on a Triaxis himself? Geez. Talk about weird timing! The stars must be aligned or something?! Congrats, BTW! It takes a lot of work to get it to fit your needs but the effort is definitely worth it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 1 2009, 08:55 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
cool.. I will be watching this thread. The triaxis I got has JJ tubes (don't know what exactly) The seller said JJ tubes. smile.gif But its been there for like 1.5 years I think.

Thanks (I saw me mentioned there at the end.. ahah). I am playing around and haven't had much sleep.. lol Its my new baby! I can't seem to get a good tone yet.. I am reading the manuals too. I need to really learn how to get THE tone, equilizing etc. But for now, I just got the triaxis and nothing more. I will play around and see what I can come up with.

Good luck to you too. BTW, do you have any clips recorded through your triaxis? Would love to listen to them.

Thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Sep 1 2009, 09:33 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 1 2009, 01:07 PM
Instructor
JJ tubes are great for your Triaxis, I have a set from Eurotubes
and it's been working fine. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 1 2009, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Sep 1 2009, 10:55 AM) *
BTW, do you have any clips recorded through your triaxis? Would love to listen to them.

Your wish is my command, master. OK. Here goes.

Demo #1
Demo #2

Yes. A demo in more than just one sense. Me in my old band - as in seven years ago?! Geez. Not much more than a one-take recording at band rehearsal ... cool.gif

I have never really used the Triaxis in a recording situation. It has been purely a live gig workhorse. More than enough juice! Well that and the Marshall 9200 power amp hooked up to it. A rare case where the guitarist actually had to "turn it up" to even hear oneself over the plenty loud kick-ass drummer dude ... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Sep 1 2009, 04:00 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  _Demo__1__01___Succubi.mp3 ( 4.6MB ) Number of downloads: 641
Attached File  _Demo__1__02___Captain_Jack_Off.mp3 ( 3.71MB ) Number of downloads: 370
Attached File  _Demo__1__03___Remorse.mp3 ( 3.71MB ) Number of downloads: 258
Attached File  _Demo__1__04___Punch_Your_Boss.mp3 ( 6.53MB ) Number of downloads: 434
Attached File  _Demo__2__01___Remorse.mp3 ( 3.48MB ) Number of downloads: 249
Attached File  _Demo__2__02___Bye_Bye.mp3 ( 4.61MB ) Number of downloads: 286
Attached File  _Demo__2__03___Insomnia.mp3 ( 5.9MB ) Number of downloads: 274

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 1 2009, 05:22 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, thats some heavy stuff there. smile.gif The mesa sound is clearly heard. (I am not a particular fan of metal though). The first part of Punch your boss sounds great. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 1 2009, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Sep 1 2009, 07:22 PM) *
Wow, thats some heavy stuff there. smile.gif The mesa sound is clearly heard. (I am not a particular fan of metal though). The first part of Punch your boss sounds great. smile.gif

Haha! Listening to your own demo in the other topic, I had the impression you might like that little intro. Yep. I still got it! I can read minds. Hehe.

I am a man of many colours though and most of what I did with those guys was using but a handful of setups. I haven't played like that since ... ummm .... 2002? tongue.gif I try not to be so one-dimensional as ... ummm ... metal?! wink.gif Although, a lot of that is more hard rock or even maybe hardcore tinged with a little metal for flavour.

Cheers dude. At least you know you can get some chunk out of that box you have right there. If you need it. Took a lot of tweaking though and still wasn't 100% happy with the result but hey I think that will always be the case ....

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 1 2009, 06:01 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am like a middle of everything.. not into pure classic rock, not into all those metal, hardcore stuff. So basically, more of Modern Rock, some hard rock, indie, alternative stuff.. but best is something that is more melodious than anything. I don't know the classifications though. smile.gif For instrumentals, I like joe satriani so you know where I am. Not much into heavy stuff.

Yey, anyway, this is one of the first tube amp for me and it will definitely take more time. I have heard many people struggling to get THE TONE with triaxis at first. So, I am preparing myself on that as well. I hope once I add G-Force onto the loop, it will be more easier to get things rolling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 1 2009, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Sep 1 2009, 08:01 PM) *
I am like a middle of everything.. not into pure classic rock, not into all those metal, hardcore stuff. So basically, more of Modern Rock, some hard rock, indie, alternative stuff.. but best is something that is more melodious than anything. I don't know the classifications though. smile.gif For instrumentals, I like joe satriani so you know where I am. Not much into heavy stuff.

Yey, anyway, this is one of the first tube amp for me and it will definitely take more time. I have heard many people struggling to get THE TONE with triaxis at first. So, I am preparing myself on that as well. I hope once I add G-Force onto the loop, it will be more easier to get things rolling.

Yep. As versatile as the Triaxis is and was, I only started to like what I was hearing once I paired it up with the G-Major. My take on the G-Force? You don't need it! tongue.gif Splitting hairs difference really between the two. Save the money spent for a new cab and poweramp? Hehe. I have had a few tube amps (heads, practise amps etc.) over the years but my current setup is the only one out of those I didn't sell .... So, in my humble opinion, you are on the road to your own personal version of 'tone nirvana'. At least in this lifetime, that is! wink.gif

Ummm ... Joe ain't heavy? You blaspheme! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 2 2009, 03:29 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Cool.. smile.gif

Heavy in the sense not so heavy heavy, you know. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 2 2009, 02:10 PM
Instructor
You guys seem to have some great time here,
I'll leave you be. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 2 2009, 03:10 PM
Hehe. I am glad though that my suspicions concerning JJs for the Triaxis are confirmed ... it will be an improvement. Just need to get the cash together as I want to retube the poweramp as well sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 5 2009, 12:35 AM
Just put in the order for a "High Gain Low Output" Retube Kit for the Triaxis (plus bias probe and a cheap multimeter) from Eurotubes ... Lo and behold! Four hours later I get a reply saying it has been shipped already! You just don't see that kind of service nowadays. Especially not two hours before close on a Friday ... Think I found my poison. 7 to 12 working days on average for shipping to the EU? Hmmmm. Not sure if I can wait that long? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 5 2009, 03:41 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Congrats and good luck. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 5 2009, 02:42 PM
Instructor
EuroTubes are fast indeed, congrats on your purchase. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 15 2009, 02:54 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Whats the progress here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 15 2009, 05:01 PM
Been waiting for delivery. I just got the arrival notice today so the plan is to pick up the package from the local Customs Office tomorrow afternoon. It has been so long since I had to pay customs duty that it completely slipped my mind. So I hope it doesn't cost too much but I believe it might even be exempt since the stated value is quite low. Here's hoping! smile.gif

Good thing is it arrived much sooner than I had anticipated. They said it could take anywhere from 7-12 working days on average and in this instance it took just 7 out of those 12. So that was cool.

[EDIT] >> Actually it was 6 ... It took a day for the arrival notice to get to my mailbox ... Heh.

Thanks for the interest! Will let you know more as news comes in .... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Sep 15 2009, 05:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 29 2009, 12:19 PM
I thought I would post a quick update in case any one was wondering where in the wilderness I am with all this?

The problem with this spot of amp maintenance has been that I have decided to give the whole studio a thorough going over. That means guitars, amps, mixer, cabs etc. I have, of course, installed the JJ's but it is only a small part of the whole signal chain. It has made a noticeable improvement in noise floor and also the recording outs are even a possibility now by sounding a lot less brittle. The likelihood is that I will still record by micing up the cab but I could record the direct outs simultaneously to maybe give a point of reference if I try to get a reasonable direct sound. I have played around with the recabbing approach on the computer but I always feel the results are more of a problem than a help. It is hard enough to get a good sound in the traditional way! smile.gif I even started using the Fender with the Triaxis for the first time.

So herein lies the dilemma. I am back at square one on everything! tongue.gif Tweak city. I ain't too pleased to be knob fiddling as I would rather be playing guitar. So I have reserved judgment for the interim. At least until I replace the tubes in the poweramp also for I am starting to think the old tubes in there have been the culprit sonically wise as to why I have never been quite happy with my tone. That is for another day and more cash down the line.

In short, the JJ's are an improvement albeit it just moves the problem further up the signal chain sad.gif In time, I hope to get where I want to be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 30 2009, 03:16 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Congrats on the install.. would love to hear some new samples then.. direct / miced. What say?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 30 2009, 03:27 AM
That could well be a possibility. I am still experimenting with the direct option. So, give me some time until I get something half decent smile.gif

[EDIT] >> Just been a bit difficult also since I have been using the Fender lately and I ain't used to that at all. I broke a string on the Ibanez (my main guitar) about a week ago and have to wait till pay day for a spare set. The Fender like I said above is so old for me gear-wise it hasn't even (up till recently) been played through the Triaxis. It sure wants to be played in a style I am not familiar anymore. Can we say blues and funk?! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Sep 30 2009, 03:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 30 2009, 06:46 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
oops.. try clean channel with the fender.. mark IIC default setting has been my favorite for lead tones. I haven't explored much on other ones though. Hoping to hear some great clips then!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:22 PM