Help Me Write A Bridge!, Song Writing
capasso2
Mar 29 2014, 06:42 PM
Learning Roadie
So i tend to this quite a bit, I'll write song fragments, that i think have real promise, and just can never find that last progression/riff to wrap things up. Well i guises the real problem is that i never get around to writing lyrics for the 15+ songs i have that need them lol. But in this case i've really liked this little tune ever since first came up with it. I was starting to really experiment with 7 chords, and augmented/diminished and this came out one day.

So If your up for some songwriting and want to help a guy out over here, I've supplies a sample video of all of the progressions that i have so far, and i've outlined the chord changes below. record a vid of yourself playing a bridge that you think could work, or even something that your not quite sure about, but think it might give me some ideas, id love to hear it! Or maybe you've got an interesting chord suggestion that i haven't thought of and want to type about it, thats cool too. I've just had this song laying around for a few months now, and normally i can finish them up the same day or at least week i start them. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2SN0g9ZgM

PS: sorry there seems to be a latency issue i can't fix on the video, but it should still give you a good enough understanding of what the song sounds like along with the chords below.

PSS: I write song just for fun, but it goes without saying i don't expect to see any of you guys on MTV playing my song lol

The Progression is as follows:

Verse part

G_____D/F#_____Eminor_____Eminor
G____D/F#_____Eminor______C7
G____D/F#_____Eminor______Eminor
G____Bminor_____Eminor_____Eminor

Pre-chrorus
C_________C__________G________G
C_________C__________G________D

Pre-chorus breakdown

C_______C#Aug_____D_____B7

Chorus

Eminor____Aminor___D____G (3 times)
Eminor____Aminor__G____D____D7

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Darius Wave
Mar 29 2014, 07:28 PM
Instructor
I'll see what I can do but I think it's better to try to help You to figure it out by yourself smile.gif

First of all ask Your self a question do You really need that bridge. Maybe there is a reason for it not being already made. Some song are based on a "A / B / A / B" scheme and sound good enough. You might consider doing a sort a a bridge but changing the dynamics, rhythm etc...not necessary the chords smile.gif

If this was my song and I would have to make the bridge I will probably try to increase the tension by using slower chords changes and a bit more agressive sounding harmonics minor dominat chord. For example

B | B | Em | Em | D | D | G | D/F# | Am | Am | Em | Em | B......

Just an idea

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
capasso2
Mar 29 2014, 07:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 29 2014, 06:28 PM) *
I'll see what I can do but I think it's better to try to help You to figure it out by yourself smile.gif

First of all ask Your self a question do You really need that bridge. Maybe there is a reason for it not being already made. Some song are based on a "A / B / A / B" scheme and sound good enough. You might consider doing a sort a a bridge but changing the dynamics, rhythm etc...not necessary the chords smile.gif

If this was my song and I would have to make the bridge I will probably try to increase the tension by using slower chords changes and a bit more agressive sounding harmonics minor dominat chord. For example

B | B | Em | Em | D | D | G | D/F# | Am | Am | Em | Em | B......

Just an idea

Hey Darius. Thanks for the Idea. I at one time did have something that started on a Bminor. Whats the chord that colors it Harmonic minor? Is it making the B(the 3 chord of Gmaj) Major?

I don't nessaarily need a bridge per say..., maybe a nifty progression for a solo, i suppose i could solo over the verse, and come back into the song at the pre-chorus, but i feel like there is one more progression waiting to be discovered in this song, and These days i don't have many people to collaborate with, so i thought this was a good place to ask for help. There is something in my head that wants me to take that Chromatic Break down type part (C, C#aug,D, ECT), and maybe play it more smoothly, and maybe adding onto it somehow.

By the way i'll be posting my first take on your 90's metal chops lesson in the next day or two

This post has been edited by capasso2: Mar 29 2014, 08:05 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 29 2014, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Of course...that was a great idea to ask because You will get a few different points of view from different people smile.gif Nope...not B-minor. B = B major so we bring harmonic note D# and this is the main tension build note but of course it's all a matter of taste smile.gif

About the lesson - cool can't wait to see it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Apr 1 2014, 12:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
It not much, But maybe you can get a few ideas!!! biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rjW-RPQIk...eature=youtu.be

This post has been edited by Ricky9: Apr 1 2014, 12:56 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2014, 04:29 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that's a very cool progression and promising song. I have been jamming a bit with the chords and I think that the best to complete this song is to play a solo using the verse progression and then add the pre chorus but with a simpler rhythm, maybe just playing once each chord, and maybe changing a bit the vocal melody. If the song has drums, the drums would stop there to finally explode again in the chorus. That's what I would do with this one.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Capasso2300
Apr 25 2014, 05:48 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Apr 1 2014, 01:55 AM) *

Hey ricky, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, had a busy couple of weeks. Anyway i really like your progression, although i'm just afraid it will be too slow/too much of groove change to fit just right. I'm going to play with it a little bit and get back to you, and see if i can make something of it

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2014, 05:29 PM) *
Hi mate, that's a very cool progression and promising song. I have been jamming a bit with the chords and I think that the best to complete this song is to play a solo using the verse progression and then add the pre chorus but with a simpler rhythm, maybe just playing once each chord, and maybe changing a bit the vocal melody. If the song has drums, the drums would stop there to finally explode again in the chorus. That's what I would do with this one.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out Gabe. I'll play around with it and get back to you shortly with something new and improved

QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Apr 1 2014, 01:55 AM) *

Actually i'm really liking the second half of your progression. The part where it goes something like G--F#/D--B--C. Im going to play with that, but i think you may have sparked something. thank you

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2014, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Capasso2300 @ Apr 25 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Thanks for taking the time to check it out Gabe. I'll play around with it and get back to you shortly with something new and improved

Cool! Keep us updated of how this one evolves.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2014, 03:59 PM
GMC:er
Honestly, I don't think you need any more chords.

I would use the pre-chorus 'breakdown' section as your bridge (C - C# - D - B7, 0:35 to 0:45).

Hold the chords and let them ring out, write a different melody over it (if you already have a melody for when it happens the other times in the song) and if you're gonna record it add some more dramatic effects to the that section like (extra) reverb and delay maybe some faux backwards stuff, EQ the vocals to sound like they're from 1927, drums in half-time, phase shift that entire section of the track, etc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:48 PM