2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Effect Pedals Should I Buy?
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 01:08 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys !

I've bought a new guitar recently, but I also need som effect pedals, because of my small Fender amplifier that cannot produce any good sounds with it's clean and overdrive channel. sad.gif

Is it worth the money to buy a multieffect box with plenty of effects or should I only buy a couple "single-effect"-effect pedals ?

Thanks in advance, cool.gif

Frej

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 23 2009, 01:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Do you have a budget, because generally it is cheaper to buy a multi-fx than all the individual pedals, although it may not be quite as good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 01:26 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Aug 23 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Do you have a budget, because generally it is cheaper to buy a multi-fx than all the individual pedals, although it may not be quite as good.

I have about 250 euros to spend !

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 23 2009, 01:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Why buy pedals if you are not satisfied with the sound of your amp?
Get a great sounding amp first before you worry about effecst to enhance the sound would be my piece of advice!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 23 2009, 02:27 PM) *
Why buy pedals if you are not satisfied with the sound of your amp?
Get a great sounding amp first before you worry about effecst to enhance the sound would be my piece of advice!

The thing is that I can't have a very big good souning amplifier since I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb my neighbours ( and the rest of the family biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 23 2009, 01:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm effects pedals won't make your amp sound better. When it comes to stomp boxes vs multieffects I always go for individual high quality pedals. Now the question is what kind of effect you need? Wah wah, delay , chorus, overdrive etc?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 02:02 PM
I allready have i Cry Baby. What I'm looking for is some overdrive, reverb, and delay !

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 23 2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frej10 @ Aug 23 2009, 02:02 PM) *
I allready have i Cry Baby. What I'm looking for is some overdrive, reverb, and delay !

Some Boss overdrive used to do a great job for me. I don't remember but I think it was OD-2 or 1. Now I use plugins for that.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 23 2009, 05:39 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
With that budget you can get a couple nice stomp boxes, like a delay & distortion.

Or you can get a Boss ME-70 for justa bit more, and it has a lot of effects plus patches etc.

As our members already stated if your amp is not good a ME unit or stomps won't work magic, it probably won't sound too good.

another option would be to get a line 6 POD, and hook that up to your computer, then play through some decent 2.1 multimedia speakers. That sounds really good and will give you recording options too.

To sum up:

- Amp + Effects:
You probably should get a better amp before getting stomp boxes. Either a low wattage valve amp (5 Watts or less), or a Solid State 50Watts (they sound good no matter the volume). 12'' speaker if possible.
Individual stomps sound better but are expensive
Multieffect units are also nice & versatile (but tone isn't as good as with individual stomps)

- POD
There are versions that need a computer (Pod Studios, which are cheap and have great tone), and Pod Xt/X3 which work standalone too. Both can be used to record through a computer.
Pods can be heard through an amp, but they sound better through regular speakers, like a Hi-Fi, or some decent computer speakers (2.1 system for example). Studio monitors would be the best choice but those are pricey too.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Aug 23 2009, 05:46 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Aug 23 2009, 06:39 PM) *
- Amp + Effects:
You probably should get a better amp before getting stomp boxes. Either a low wattage valve amp (5 Watts or less), or a Solid State 50Watts (they sound good no matter the volume). 12'' speaker if possible.
Individual stomps sound better but are expensive
Multieffect units are also nice & versatile (but tone isn't as good as with individual stomps)

Speaking of my amplifier, it's a 38W Fender Frontman. Does that kind of amplifier work with the Boss ME-70 ?

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 23 2009, 06:54 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Frej10 @ Aug 23 2009, 07:33 PM) *
Speaking of my amplifier, it's a 38W Fender Frontman. Does that kind of amplifier work with the Boss ME-70 ?

Yes, it should work fine. But the better the amp, the better the multi effect unit will sound trough it!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2009, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Sure it does, it's an amp with a nice clean sound so it will handle effects pretty nicely. If you are first timer with effects, buying a multiFX unit is not such a bad investment. This will enable you to experiment with effects and see how they react and enrich the sound. When you find your sound, then you can look out more quality effects.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 07:51 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 23 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Sure it does, it's an amp with a nice clean sound so it will handle effects pretty nicely. If you are first timer with effects, buying a multiFX unit is not such a bad investment. This will enable you to experiment with effects and see how they react and enrich the sound. When you find your sound, then you can look out more quality effects.

I checked out the Boss ME-70 and it looks really nice ! I'll go to a musicstore tomorrow and try it, thanks for your great advices ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
synfection
Aug 23 2009, 08:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Thought about buying a line 6 spider III 15 watt? its not loud enough to annoy any one, it has quite a few effects and is 65 pound ish i have the 125 watt version and i quite like mine.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-spider-3/71375

--------------------
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/font]

Esp Ltd Ec - 400
line 6 Spider III

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 23 2009, 08:06 PM
I've tried that amplifier many times. The problem with it is that all guitars sound the same when plugged in. I can't hear an difference between my old budget stratocaster and my new SG...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frej10 @ Aug 23 2009, 08:51 PM) *
I checked out the Boss ME-70 and it looks really nice ! I'll go to a musicstore tomorrow and try it, thanks for your great advices ! biggrin.gif

Let us know how it went man. Cheers

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 24 2009, 12:45 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 23 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Good advice. I grew to hate my multieffect device, which was a large one that cost me $400. As good as any in that price bracket. But they all suck in fundamental ways, they sound awful after awhile. You just can't do everything well in one box on the cheap, they have to make compromises. And each will have weak and strong points, you won't like the weak points.

I did keep a small multi device, Zoom G2 with an expression pedal that plugs in (another reason multi effects suck, most have built in expression pedals, which are not as good as ones you buy and plug in.).

My devices are

1) Boss Compressor
2) CryBaby Classic with red Fasel (these don't suck tone).
3) Boss Metal Zone
4) MODIFIED Boss SD-1
5) Boss DD-7 with expression pedal.
6) Boss OC-3 octave pedal
7) Boss Loop Station with FS-6 dual switch
8) And lastly my Zoom G2. I DO NOT USE ANY AMP MODELS on the Zoom, I bypass all that. I only use it for maybe three things, harmonizer, high octave, a second delay, and maybe the noise gate. But not modifying the sound with models, just those effects. It has perhaps the best cheap intelligent harmonizer around (I have looked into it, and it has advantages over both the Boss PS-5 and Digitech Harmony Man (basically the latter does not take an expression pedal, and the former only uses it in one useless way). The Boss PS-2 is pretty bad I think. It just has a bunch of silly video game like features that I would never use, and what is important the harmonizer, is weak in controls. You can't shift scale/key, or change the mix of effect to original signal with your foot, both of which functions the Zoom will do.

This goes into a tube amp, all tube, either Carvin Belair, Legacy Combo, or Modified Epiphone VJ. I don't believe in digital effects or equalizers in a tube amp, that means that it has to have solid state components, tubes don't "do digital". Unless someone builds an amp with a million or so tubes. I don't want an amp that starts getting obsolescent as soon as I get it home.....that goes against my grain. To me solid state means disposable, I prize and value my amp, don't want it to feel like a disposable commodity item. Oh, I am also looking into attenuators.

Here is a post I found that describes why the Zoom G2 is a decent low cost device for the above purposes. I agree with all of this. I will replace it later, when somebody comes out with a good affordable harmonizer that is designed by someone who is not brain dead. But the Zoom for these purposes is fine for now. Oh, it goes though the effects loop.

I quote.....

"i'm dead serious in saying this because i was going through the same thing you were....

zoom g2

i personally own the zoom g2.1u which is the same thing with an expression pedal and was $170 compared to $100 but it's pretty mucht eh same thing.

regardless, you can bypass all the amp models and other effects and use only the harmonizer.

i work at a music store and compared it to an older boss harmonist, boss pitch shifter and a digitech whammy.

it tracks so much better then these units, i was really surprised. plus it not only has a harmonizer, but a pitch shifter too (can set it so it's not affected by what key your playing in).

i actually have been using the delays also because they're pretty decent.

you can setup a ton of presets also which is cool so you don't have to fiddle with the pedal everytime you want to harmonize ina differnt key. the whammy pedal is actually pretty decent too.

sounds great with my splawn. it's a little tricky at first to set it up but after i "got it" it's very easy to use.

get it. you're not going to find anything decent that's cheap."

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 24 2009, 12:55 PM

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 26 2009, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 23 2009, 11:36 PM) *
Let us know how it went man. Cheers

I finally bought it ! biggrin.gif

I've allready have a Cry Baby, is it worth to keep it?

[attachment=17427:IMG_8491.JPG]

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 26 2009, 02:50 PM
Unless you need the cash from selling it, I would keep the crybaby in case you want its effect while using the expression pedal on the Boss device for something else (volume, or pitch bend, whatever). Further, a crybaby without extra overdrive will be fine to put on the signal BEFORE the ME-70.

Also of note: if you have a good pair of headphones, I suspect you may enjoy those instead of sending the ME-70 to the small amp.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Frej10
Aug 26 2009, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 26 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Unless you need the cash from selling it, I would keep the crybaby in case you want its effect while using the expression pedal on the Boss device for something else (volume, or pitch bend, whatever). Further, a crybaby without extra overdrive will be fine to put on the signal BEFORE the ME-70.

Also of note: if you have a good pair of headphones, I suspect you may enjoy those instead of sending the ME-70 to the small amp.

Allright !

Yes, i have a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 that works great !

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:51 PM