Experiences As A Plugin Author
Rammikin
Apr 22 2013, 06:42 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Todd asked me to start a new thread about this, so I'll post that here.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 19 2013, 12:43 AM) *
OK, HOLD THE PHONE, you wrote OMNISPHERE?? Seriously? Were you involved with Jordan Rudess when he got so fond of it? Did you work with him on it? Dude, I"m guessing you have some really spiff stories to share. If it would not be an imposition, I'd certainly like to hear more, I'm sure others would as well.

Would you maybe start a thread about your general experience and creative process during your work creating these things? I'd love to read it smile.gif

First, I'll post something about Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater.

Yes, Jordan Rudess has been an enthusiastic Omnisphere user from the very beginning. He likes to use it with the Haken Continuum, so we've worked with him make Omnisphere and Trilian work well with that. The result is that Omnisphere works quite well with any multichannel midi controller, like midi guitars. He has also been a helpful in getting the word out about my iPad/iPhone app, Crystal Synth XT.

Jordan understands the big idea that we're all in this together in the music industry and that by helping each other we make things better for everybody. Consequently he's very generous with his time and he did some demos for us at NAMM.

Personally, since I'm a keyboard player, I find him very intimidating! His technique is terrifying. Among the things that are impressive about Jordan is the way he surrounds himself with good people. His tech is top-notch. The software engineer he works with on his apps has great chops. And he makes music with some guy named Petrucci who I've heard is quite good smile.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Apr 22 2013, 06:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Apr 22 2013, 07:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow!
Omnisphere is amazing, and it shows when used by such a keyboard player. Jordan Rudess is without doubt my all time favorite,
inside or outside of Dream Theater. It seems that you had a great experience working with him, and making Omnisphere itself.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 23 2013, 08:56 AM
Instructor
What can I say...It's great to know that smile.gif Truly awesome expirience!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 10:16 AM
Instructor
Hehe, thanks for filling us in mate - so, you are also a keyboard player! Should've thought about that biggrin.gif How do you find keyboards in comparison with guitar playing - which instruments makes you feel closer to the music?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2013, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing this cool experience! I have never used Omnisphere but now I'm curious, do you have any video/audio samples?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 24 2013, 03:32 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 09:16 AM) *
Hehe, thanks for filling us in mate - so, you are also a keyboard player! Should've thought about that biggrin.gif How do you find keyboards in comparison with guitar playing - which instruments makes you feel closer to the music?

I'm definitely more comfortable playing keyboards than the guitar since I started on the piano, but I feel closest to the music when playing the saxophone. There's something about the physical exertion of blowing harder to make a sustaining note sound louder that makes the sound seem like it's coming from within you instead from your instrument smile.gif.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 23 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing this cool experience! I have never used Omnisphere but now I'm curious, do you have any video/audio samples?

Well, if you've seen a movie in a theater lately, you've probably heard Omnisphere. It seems like the score for almost the entire second half of Skyfall was done with Omnisphere smile.gif. You'll find a bunch of Omnisphere videos at the spectrasonics site:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/videos....VideoTypeID=all

There are a couple of Jordan Rudess video there, a dubstep demo, and a demo of the latest version, 1.5 that shows the Orb.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 24 2013, 05:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm trying to find a dedicated synth player for our church just so we can use Omnisphere!

It has so much scope in the library even without having to tweak anything.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 24 2013, 07:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 24 2013, 02:32 AM) *
I'm definitely more comfortable playing keyboards than the guitar since I started on the piano, but I feel closest to the music when playing the saxophone. There's something about the physical exertion of blowing harder to make a sustaining note sound louder that makes the sound seem like it's coming from within you instead from your instrument smile.gif.

The sax as well?? Wow man biggrin.gif

Than you might like this too:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2013, 11:59 PM
GMC:er
Thanks very much for posting this smile.gif I was quite curious abou this having seen many of the youtube vids with Jordan playing your plugins. I took note of the software right away as Jordan is a MONSTER of player and doesn't use anything that does not RAWK. I imagine is must be a tad intimidating with a fellow keyboard player like that in the same room. Sort of like a guitar guy working with Steve Vai on something that Steve himself will be using, so it better be pretty spiff. No pressure eh smile.gif

I imagine it wears off over time? He does seem like a genuinely nice guy which is great. Some really amazing players are just nice people, the same way some people are just nice. smile.gif

If you do write more on this, and I"m hoping you do. Please do PM me and let me know there's more to read. smile.gif I have a pal who is a code guy and I get the overal arch of app development. Also, I like Dream Theatre and Jordans' playing so I can't help but be curious smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 22 2013, 01:42 PM) *
Todd asked me to start a new thread about this, so I'll post that here.

First, I'll post something about Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater.

Yes, Jordan Rudess has been an enthusiastic Omnisphere user from the very beginning. He likes to use it with the Haken Continuum, so we've worked with him make Omnisphere and Trilian work well with that. The result is that Omnisphere works quite well with any multichannel midi controller, like midi guitars. He has also been a helpful in getting the word out about my iPad/iPhone app, Crystal Synth XT.

Jordan understands the big idea that we're all in this together in the music industry and that by helping each other we make things better for everybody. Consequently he's very generous with his time and he did some demos for us at NAMM.

Personally, since I'm a keyboard player, I find him very intimidating! His technique is terrifying. Among the things that are impressive about Jordan is the way he surrounds himself with good people. His tech is top-notch. The software engineer he works with on his apps has great chops. And he makes music with some guy named Petrucci who I've heard is quite good smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 26 2013, 04:25 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 25 2013, 10:59 PM) *
Thanks very much for posting this smile.gif I was quite curious abou this having seen many of the youtube vids with Jordan playing your plugins. I took note of the software right away as Jordan is a MONSTER of player and doesn't use anything that does not RAWK. I imagine is must be a tad intimidating with a fellow keyboard player like that in the same room. Sort of like a guitar guy working with Steve Vai on something that Steve himself will be using, so it better be pretty spiff. No pressure eh smile.gif

Well, I've got pressure coming at me both ways: Steve Vai is also an enthusiastic Omnisphere user smile.gif . Check out this article about Steve:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news-content.php?id=82

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 27 2013, 09:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 26 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Well, I've got pressure coming at me both ways: Steve Vai is also an enthusiastic Omnisphere user smile.gif . Check out this article about Steve:

Wowee, will you be working with Steve in person as well??

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 27 2013, 04:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Rammikin could you start a thread about Synth/Keyboard playing in a band scenario.

Topics like
sound choice
How not to over play (most keyboard players come from a piano background and take up the whole sonic spectrum leaving little space for other instruments!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 28 2013, 06:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 27 2013, 03:30 PM) *
Rammikin could you start a thread about Synth/Keyboard playing in a band scenario.

Topics like
sound choice
How not to over play (most keyboard players come from a piano background and take up the whole sonic spectrum leaving little space for other instruments!)

That's a very good point there PosterBoy smile.gif I never liked playing in a band that had a keyboard player, simply because of the reason above biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2013, 07:51 AM
Cool!! No pressure eh? smile.gif OMNISPHERE is so big/complete, it's almost overwhelming for a guitar player like myself who only dabbles a bit on keyboards. I wondered if you guys have any plans for something that could perhaps run in the KONTACT or KORE player perhaps? So that the infrastructure is there and you can just make a bit to slide in it? Also, I know OMNI is a heavy data load at around 50gb so there is no DEMO version. Any plans for anything along the EZ DRUMMER sort of line for noobs like myself who can download a demo, try and buy?

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 26 2013, 11:25 AM) *

+Quote Post
Rammikin
May 4 2013, 04:32 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 29 2013, 06:51 AM) *
I wondered if you guys have any plans for something that could perhaps run in the KONTACT or KORE player perhaps?

As a rule, we don't disclose future plans, but I can tell you that won't happen. I was hired to write a unique synthesizer (not just a sample player like Kontakt), so the Omnisphere sounds can only be produced using Omnisphere. That unique character is one of things that make it what it is.

@PosterBoy I could write advice for keyboard players to not overplay, but it seems like that should probably go somewhere keyboard players visit instead of GMC? In any case, with all due respect and my tongue in my cheek, I'm not sure guitarists should be giving anyone advice about how not to overplay smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2013, 05:44 AM
Gotcha. Never hurts to ask smile.gif Makes sense though. It really is it's own thing on it's own level.

P.S. Good point on guitar players not chiming in about "overplaying" smile.gif Talk about the pot calling the kettle.....

Todd
QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 3 2013, 11:32 PM) *
As a rule, we don't disclose future plans, but I can tell you that won't happen. I was hired to write a unique synthesizer (not just a sample player like Kontakt), so the Omnisphere sounds can only be produced using Omnisphere. That unique character is one of things that make it what it is.

@PosterBoy I could write advice for keyboard players to not overplay, but it seems like that should probably go somewhere keyboard players visit instead of GMC? In any case, with all due respect and my tongue in my cheek, I'm not sure guitarists should be giving anyone advice about how not to overplay smile.gif.

I wonder if keyboard players feel the same way? "Those darn guitarists are overplaying!!" smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 28 2013, 01:58 AM) *
That's a very good point there PosterBoy smile.gif I never liked playing in a band that had a keyboard player, simply because of the reason above biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 7 2013, 11:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok

Overplaying probably wasn't the best term to use. To explain a little better and not ruffle feathers, if I'm playing with a keyboard player and a bass player I'm not going to play big full barre chords, I'll use diads, triads, lines and motifs, arpeggios etc. The keyboard player I've had experience with, who tend to come from a solo piano background where they cover all elements of accompaniment, have difficulty or don't realise they need to take up less of the sonic range and give the bass player and other instruments somewhere to play, at least some of the time!

In the same way guitarists need to make sure they are out of the way of vocalists if they are playing lead lines.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:02 PM