New Strings Issue
Mataal
Mar 16 2013, 02:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi there, Ive changed the strings that came with the for a new adario set where the three last are the same size and first ones are lower. What happens is that the ones that didnt changed are doing noise, do i need to change bridge up/down or change the tuss?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mataal: Mar 16 2013, 02:25 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
thefireball
Mar 16 2013, 03:04 PM
Learning Roadie
If you're getting fret buzz then the bridge might need to be raised in conjunction with the truss rod adjusted. But I'm not good with that stuff, so I take it to a tech sometimes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Davidzz1988
Mar 17 2013, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
+1 thefireball

Hi! If you are getting fret-buzz, you will need to raise the bridge and to adjust the truss rod accordingly. These adjustments will mess with your guitar's intonation. You will need to intonate the strings. If you are not familiar with that, I strongly suggest to check out for a guitar tech to set up your guitar.

--------------------
All the best,

David Ladouceur Dupuis

+Quote Post
Mataal
Mar 17 2013, 02:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey, thanks. I've increased a little the bridge and it's all good now smile.gif
Had to tune guitar a little and the intonation but really not much smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 17 2013, 08:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool. Glad it's working for ya now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 20 2013, 01:43 PM
Instructor
Whole ide is to find balance between truss rod adjustment and bridge height. If keep changing strings one by one and with the same gauge You should have no problems to keep same set up but...sometimes strings from the same gauge can have a little different tension - matter of core etc...So tiny adjustment is wellcome. Don't be afraid to touch the set-up...the more You try , the faster You learn how it works..

I remember when I did my first adjustments....I was so afraid that I'll mess something...and yes...I did mess but I kept trying smile.gif Now I can do most things by myself ...including frets leveling.

When You change Your tuning to lower or just changing the gauge it's best to start from the truss rod adjustment cause what really changes is how the strings tension affect neck. Cheers! smile.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 21 2013, 09:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
In case your guitar has a floating bridge (vintage style or floyd).
When you change string gauge the string tension will rise or lower. Before adjusting the truss rod or rise/lower the bridge, i would first adjust the spring tension of the bridge which works against the string tension. Usually the bridge floating angle will change with different string gauge, which is the main reason of intonation problems on higher fret areas. The bridge should float a kind of parallel to the body. Once this is adjusted and your guitar stays in tune then i would rise/lower the bridge to adjust the string action to your liking. IMO the truss rod needs adjustment if you can not get rid of fret-buzz in conjunction with very low string action or if you changed string gauge which is way different from the previous set. Truss rod adjustments are done in very small steps, 1/2 turn steps or something like that, give the wood some time smile.gif

I agree with Darius, don't be afraid to mess around with the settings, you can hardly break anything. You will only learn more about your guitar.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:22 PM