2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gus' Mtp Thread
Emir Hot
Sep 5 2009, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Gus

Finally we have it all set and ready to go smile.gif I hope we will both have some good experience with this. The first thing I would like to know is what you would like to learn and we can take it from there. Please write down your current playing abilities, post some recordings or a video (if you have) and specify which area you would like to focus on. That can be anything from theory, technique, some of my lessons - just whatever you want. I am looking forward to this and I hope that you will learn many useful things throughout this program.

All the best
Emir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 6 2009, 11:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi Emir.

Thanks for accepting to mentor me. smile.gif

Background
I am 27 years old and started playing classical guitar at age of 8. I played until 11. After a 5 year hiatus, I started playing acoustic guitar again, but only chords. Really just for fun. I kept doing that until 23, when I started a band and started learning electric guitar and lead. At that time I attended 1.5 years of classes with a very good guitar teacher where I really learned a lot, but I focused my practice on songs instead of exercises. I still have a tendency to do that, but after joining GMC I am starting to go towards more to serious practice.
So, I feel like I've been playing forever tongue.gif , but in fact my real practice sums up to something between 2-4 years.

What I like to listen
I love most of rock: rock ballads, pop rock, hard rock, metal. cool.gif
Now and then I listen to other styles.

Some bands I like a lot and you probably heard about: Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin, U2, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Red Hot , Dire Straits, Evanescence, Nirvana, Deep purple...
Some bands I like a lot and you probably did not hear about (brazilian 80s rock) : Engenheiros do Hawaii, Legião Urbana, Barão Vermelho, Capital Inicial, Paralamas do Sucesso, Raimundos ...
Just the tip of the iceberg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAAzGyccJQg
Only in the last 2 years I started discovering instrumental rock, but I have to say I also like to hear Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert...

What I would like to achieve
I really want to be an all-rounded guitarist, at pro level. In fact I'd say I am all-rounded, but on a relatively poor level. tongue.gif
I know I can focus my practice more on one thing at a time, but what I really want to achieve is a 360 degree improvement on all the main techniques.

When I see something like your Vinnie Moore's lesson I think: WoW! That's how I want to play: a lot of rock attitude, everything is on its place (flow, control, melody), several advanced techniques put together not (only) to impress someone but really to enhance the listener's experience!!!

Where I am now
I thought the best way was to make a video and show different techniques ph34r.gif
EDIT: Youtube messed up with the video/audio synchronization. mad.gif .

I hope this is enough info so we can get started smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 7 2009, 09:54 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Great video Gus. Thanks much for showing all this stuff. You actually know a lot but you need to improve it all smile.gif I will suggest a program that I am using for several other MTP participants. Many of you guys are struggling with fretboard skills. Scale positions, keys, changing quickly from one to another etc... Do you know all major scale boxes? If not then we can start with that. Dexxter is currently doing a great job with it. These exercises will force you to use your pinky and learn all major scales all over the fretboard. Once you know all these you actually know all major scale modes smile.gif After we master that we'll try to use it practically. There will be many tasks I would want you to play. Every now and then I will produce a backing track that you can use to demonstrate what you have learned. Later we can involve bends, tapping, legato, arpeggios and other techniques so you can start producing proper solos and feel comfortable on the guitar neck. Let me know if this works for you and I will send the chart and videos to help you get started smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 7 2009, 10:23 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 7 2009, 10:11 AM) *
Great video Gus. Thanks much for showing all this stuff. You actually know a lot but you need to improve it all smile.gif I will suggest a program that I am using for several other MTP participants. Many of you guys are struggling with fretboard skills. Scale positions, keys, changing quickly from one to another etc... Do you know all major scale boxes? If not then we can start with that. Dexxter is currently doing a great job with it. These exercises will force you to use your pinky and learn all major scales all over the fretboard. Once you know all these you actually know all major scale modes smile.gif After we master that we'll try to use it practically. There will be many tasks I would want you to play. Every now and then I will produce a backing track that you can use to demonstrate what you have learned. Later we can involve bends, tapping, legato, arpeggios and other techniques so you can start producing proper solos and feel comfortable on the guitar neck. Let me know if this works for you and I will send the chart and videos to help you get started smile.gif

Well, I'd say I know 3 notes per string patterns of major scale, but I don't know them to the heart.
More important than that I do struggle to change quickly from one scale to another and on connecting the major scale boxes.
During improvisation I always "fall back" to pentatonic, cause I don't know what to do on major scale. I think I need some "anchoring points" to my improvisation which I cannot visualize.

So yes, that would work for me as a starting point smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 7 2009, 10:24 AM

--------------------

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Ok then here is the first thing we should work on. This is the chart you need to learn.

In this video I explained this chart to Dexxter.

This is what Dexxter did in just one day. You should play all these like in this video. If it's too fast for you you can slow down a bit.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 7 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the patterns and assignment.
They look very interesting, and I printed an extra version with the pentatonic marked in red...

I will go home mentalizing the patterns laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 06:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Sep 7 2009, 06:00 PM) *
Thanks for the patterns and assignment.
They look very interesting, and I printed an extra version with the pentatonic marked in red...

I will go home mentalizing the patterns laugh.gif

Good luck man smile.gif It's gonna get more interesting once you master this.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 9 2009, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 7 2009, 03:21 PM) *
Ok then here is the first thing we should work on. This is the chart you need to learn.

Ok. I pretty much memorized them and I can do the patterns comfortably up to 80-90 bpm (16th notes). I will try to record so maybe you can see if there is anything I can improve to go further on speed.

So what should I do next?

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 9 2009, 12:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 10 2009, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Sep 9 2009, 12:13 PM) *
Ok. I pretty much memorized them and I can do the patterns comfortably up to 80-90 bpm (16th notes). I will try to record so maybe you can see if there is anything I can improve to go further on speed.

So what should I do next?

Ok, send the video and we'll take it from there.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 15 2009, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 10 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Ok, send the video and we'll take it from there.

16th notes. First at 70 bpm, and then at 85 bpm. Different angle/position so that should also help identifying any issue...

I recorded it a couple of days ago but finally got the time to edit the video.

Also I had some of the "NoSkill Effect" tongue.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=27328

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 15 2009, 11:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 15 2009, 11:38 AM
Instructor
That was excellent. Now the famous box 5x5 that many of you are doing smile.gif Read from left to right and top to bottom. You should play the whole thing with no stop. No need to play too fast but it should be clean as on this video that you posted. Btw, you did a great job with picking and posture.

The first line will be between 1-5 fret, second line will be the next group of frets... You will see when you start it smile.gif After you do this I am creating a little collab for all MTP guys in my group and we will try to use those shapes in a real situation when improvising.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 4 2009, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Gus. How is it going?

Just want to inform you that tomorrow I am leaving for a whole week and back on the next Monday.

Cheers

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 4 2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Emir.

I had to skip guitar practicing for 2 weeks, because of my PhD work, but I am finally back on track. cool.gif

I will be working on this exercise during the week, and record it over the weekend, then you can see when you come back.

Cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 5 2009, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 4 2009, 05:02 PM) *
Hi Emir.

I had to skip guitar practicing for 2 weeks, because of my PhD work, but I am finally back on track. cool.gif

I will be working on this exercise during the week, and record it over the weekend, then you can see when you come back.

Cheers.

Ok man take your time smile.gif I'm off for the whole week

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 16 2009, 02:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Gus I am back now. How is it going? According to the new MTP rules I need to give you assignment every week. If you have something for me please record a video so we can move on. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 16 2009, 11:45 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 16 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Hi Gus I am back now. How is it going? According to the new MTP rules I need to give you assignment every week. If you have something for me please record a video so we can move on. Cheers smile.gif

Hi Emir. Here is the video. Somehow youtube still delays my video, so I just posted it here.
Attached File  87_bpm_triplets.wmv ( 4.92MB ) Number of downloads: 149

It is quite hard to do this exercise non-stop without mistakes, but this exercise is improving a lot my AP, and finally I am connecting the scale shapes to the chords (which I know by heart for many years). Thanks a lot for this assignment! smile.gif
I redraw your diagram using C-A-G-E-D instead of the numbers, and that helped me a lot to think of the chord shapes instead of simply numbers.

I hope the video is good enough to move forward rolleyes.gif , but I will definitely add this exercise to my routine practice for the years to come.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 16 2009, 11:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 18 2009, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 16 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Hi Emir. Here is the video. Somehow youtube still delays my video, so I just posted it here.
Attached File  87_bpm_triplets.wmv ( 4.92MB ) Number of downloads: 149

It is quite hard to do this exercise non-stop without mistakes, but this exercise is improving a lot my AP, and finally I am connecting the scale shapes to the chords (which I know by heart for many years). Thanks a lot for this assignment! smile.gif
I redraw your diagram using C-A-G-E-D instead of the numbers, and that helped me a lot to think of the chord shapes instead of simply numbers.

I hope the video is good enough to move forward rolleyes.gif , but I will definitely add this exercise to my routine practice for the years to come.

Hi Gus, check the new assignment topic and we'll take it from there.

This take was very good. I am happy you learned all those shapes. That will help you a lot I hope.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 20 2009, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 18 2009, 03:43 PM) *
Hi Gus, check the new assignment topic and we'll take it from there.

This take was very good. I am happy you learned all those shapes. That will help you a lot I hope.

Hi Emir.

I tried a little bit the new assignment, and it seems I can navigate between patterns like never before cool.gif So I think it's working.

Still, I've got one doubt about it. In this exercise, should I stick to a single note feel (8th or 16th) and just alternate picking? Or can use legato, sliding, bending and long notes as well?

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 20 2009, 11:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 21 2009, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 20 2009, 11:27 PM) *
Hi Emir.

I tried a little bit the new assignment, and it seems I can navigate between patterns like never before cool.gif So I think it's working.

Still, I've got one doubt about it. In this exercise, should I stick to a single note feel (8th or 16th) and just alternate picking? Or can use legato, sliding, bending and long notes as well?

I replied on the PM. Just play 8th notes for now.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 15 2010, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi Gus

Sorry for being this late. I was busy as hell and I still am. We can continue where we stopped last time. No need to start the new thing. I will just treat this MTP like we're still in the old phase. This is because we can have some stuff approved that you already submitted as assignment and also it doesn't make difference if I write that we're now in March or December...

So where did we stop? We were doing some scale patterns? Help me with some explanation about where we stopped as I have many guys now in MTP. Did I give you a task before to do or I have to give you a new one? Also don't forget about one REC submission per month and also post the REC link in the assignment thread.

Cheers

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:57 AM