How Many Lessons At The Same Time?
Marek Rojewski
Jun 18 2015, 03:37 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Topic basically tells it all. I wonder how many lessons people practice at the same time, or how many students/instructors think is the best number?

Lately I've been practising four lessons at the same time, meaning that in a 60 minute practice, I would play each lesson for about 15 minutes. It didn't turn out well, I've learned all of them, but not on the same level when I was practising 1-2 lessons at a time.

Now I start to think that 2 lessons can be the best for me, one easier that could also be treated as a "warm up" for the second one. But maybe just one is simply the best?

I stopped practising only one lesson, because it was too tiresome to "hammer" one piece of music non stop for an hour or two. Especially when I stop using the metronome, because I think I can already practice with the backingtrack. When I practice with the metronome, it is a bit different, because "things change", there is some action and it is easier to focus on the same stuff when it happens in a different speed situation.

Heh, now that I am writing this post, I realize that the answer is easier - I don't practice enough "fooling around" / "jamming" / "improvisation" and because of that I need more than one lesson to practice... --> Crap... dry.gif

Any thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Tom51
Jun 18 2015, 06:35 PM
Learning Roadie
For me right now 3 lessons seems to be a good choice. Given my practice time I have 20-30min per lesson plus some time for repeating older stuff (chords), learning scales and ear training. If I have more lessons my progress will slow down too much as I really need time to dig into each lesson. Also three lessons allow to put everything in I want to practice right now: rhythm/fingerpicking, legato, bending and vibrato.
Maybe if lessons get more difficult I will have 2 as well and spare some time for improvising. Most important is that I really like the lesson. That is a great motivation to keep practicing over many weeks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 18 2015, 07:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't practice more lessons in the same time. I need maximum focus for each lesson to keep in mind all the details as in original lesson (same picking direction, angle of pick, accents and also to learn new techniques). For me working at one lesson with full focus and respecting all the details from it, gives me 100% profit after lesson.

Every day in parallel with the lesson I work at improvisations, increasing speed and other stuff.
My practice routine looks a little different but it works for me very good. First of all I have some strict rules which I'll never break. So, I don't keep around me phones, watch, FB. The end of practice is only when I'm satisfied about results for the current day, no matter how much hours I must spend for this.

Because for me to improvise it's very relaxing, I work every technique separately over an improvisation. It's my way to combine the pleasure with hard working wink.gif
Let's say that I start with bending technique. I choose a backing track and I make an improvisation using different kind of bends but the idea is to use bend, after bend, after bend... The purpose is after I finish the recording to have all the bends in a right pitch. If I fail one single bend, I start again another one, until the take will have all the bends in a perfect pitch. My thinking behind this practice is: if I can play 50 bends almost consecutive in a right pitch, I'm pretty sure that when I need to play less bends in a take I will not fail. This kind of practice gives me more confidence in playing.
When bends in the take sounds good I chose another technique. As an example raking and I must use in an improvisation almost all the notes with different kind of raking (fast, slow, aggressive, soft, etc).
After this, I choose another technique and I will make the same. Also when I work for muting I choose a very, very annoying tone, full of gain (more than normal) but it help me to have a proper control when I use a normal tone.
I always end making an improvisation using a mix from everything and the most important for me, I apply the technical details learned from my current lesson in my own stuff. The improv must sound like a song not as a jam.
My practice for increasing speed it's worked with metronome and after this I apply over a backing track.
This is how it looks my daily guitar practice smile.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jun 18 2015, 07:57 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jun 18 2015, 11:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm with Monica on this one biggrin.gif

There is so much in a lesson that for me I have to practice the lesson everyday until I get it down. Sometimes I don't get it down and I'll work on another one just to keep progress flowing.

Now if you have mucho time to play then I couldn't answer that. If I could is dedicate whole weeks to music and I'd pick many lessons biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 19 2015, 12:48 AM
Learning Roadie
One for lead and one for rhythm.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:31 AM