This Worked With My Ibanez
Mertay
Jun 15 2018, 03:53 PM
GMC:er

only 1 or 1.5 turn is enough, the feel of the tuner totally changed reminded my friends tele with klusons.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 15 2018, 07:50 PM
I do 2 wraps on the bass side but no less than 3 wraps for the treble side. Fenders, Gibsons, whatever. Anything with non-locking tuners.

I have absolutely had strings slip with the under/over technique (which is 'standard' by the way - no mystery here) using only 1.5 or even two wraps. Especially on the un-wound treble strings.

*Yes, I know how to string a guitar properly. Probably better than most "repairmen".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 15 2018, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 15 2018, 08:43 PM
Was my first try and didn't go very good smile.gif I ment to leave more room for turns but couldn't adjust the length+its so hot here my hands got slippery.

But its been a few hours now and is holding fine, even stretched the string multiple times before I cut the tips. My guess is the ibanez style string-tree prevents the strings to get lose by applying down-force.

Picture of string-tree (not my guitar);

This is my guitar with new strings (I haven't locked it yet);

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 15 2018, 08:48 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 15 2018, 09:46 PM
Experienced Rock Star
FYI, on my floyd rose guitar, I put the ball end of the string at the headstock end. That way there are no sharp string ends to stab me in the finger. Also, I put some extra wraps around the peg on the high strings. That way, if the string breaks near the bridge, all I have to do is unwrap some string from the peg and reinsert the string in the bridge. I can recover from a broken string in seconds smile.gif.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 16 2018, 01:56 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 15 2018, 12:43 PM) *
Was my first try and didn't go very good smile.gif I ment to leave more room for turns but couldn't adjust the length+its so hot here my hands got slippery.

But its been a few hours now and is holding fine, even stretched the string multiple times before I cut the tips. My guess is the ibanez style string-tree prevents the strings to get lose by applying down-force.

Picture of string-tree (not my guitar);

This is my guitar with new strings (I haven't locked it yet);

The locking nut will negate any issues with the windings.
*On a 'standard' string post sans locking nut you do need to make sure that extra string length is bent back over that first winding and that there is no slack at all. Sometimes it'll stay and sometimes it'll slip. And it always slips at the most inopportune moment.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2018, 04:27 AM
BINGO!! This is a trick that I started using a long time ago when I thought it would be easier and slip less. Guess what? IT WORKS!! smile.gif On the YNGWIE sets, they hae "BULLET ENDS" which are tiny things that look like a small bullet. They look a bi odd but I don't care smile.gif Id suggest leaving the ball ends on for anyone who has locking trem. I don't really place non floyd guitars so I'll leave that to other folks. The bullet end is meant for better fit in strat type non locking trems. But they work just fine in reverse as well smile.gif

Attached Image

For locking trems, the ball end is a built in anchor. I don't get why so many folk cut them off and risk slippage.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 15 2018, 04:46 PM) *
FYI, on my floyd rose guitar, I put the ball end of the string at the headstock end. That way there are no sharp string ends to stab me in the finger. Also, I put some extra wraps around the peg on the high strings. That way, if the string breaks near the bridge, all I have to do is unwrap some string from the peg and reinsert the string in the bridge. I can recover from a broken string in seconds smile.gif .

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 16 2018, 11:17 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 16 2018, 03:27 AM) *

Just a quick addition; The bullets have a lot of weight to them, placing on a vintage trem. makes it sound like the trem. block is upgraded. I never tried these with a floyd guitar, but yeah keeping them on the headstock again makes more sense as it will add weight to the headstock.

For the owner of the guitar, the change in mid response would be noticeable with bullet strings.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 16 2018, 11:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 16 2018, 03:30 PM
All that crap about "Bullets" being better is just Fender ad copy hype.

1) If you string your guitar properly the ball ends of the other manufacturers do not 'slacken' due to tension. I've never had that happen ... ever. And you guys at this point probably have an idea of how many guitars I've owned.
2) The bullet ends do not add any noticeable sustain. I have used bullets many times over the last 40 years of guitar playing and have noticed absolutely zero difference (on Fenders, Ibanez, G&L, Aria, Kramer - anything with a trem). Maybe if you have one of the really short and thin trem blocks that come in the cheapest import Squier Affinity Strats the bullet ends will add a touch more mass ... maybe.
*3) Those bullet ends have been known to pop off now and again. In fact, that's a relatively common problem with them and it has happened to me several times (yes, on Fender Strats w/standard trem).

The bullet is a gimmick.
The amount of BS on the web still manages to astound me.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 16 2018, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 16 2018, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 16 2018, 02:30 PM) *

I agree on the tension thing, never made sense to me + even if it were a real thing/issue ernie ball strings solve that with a much lower price.

My experience with the bullets are fairly new, stringed a friends guitar with them and the bridge was floating so thats how noticed the sound thing. But after that I told my friend he could consider upgrading the trem. block so can use any string he liked after that, I mean why pay more for a string which the problem is actually related to the guitar itself biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 16 2018, 05:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2018, 08:57 PM
They work great done in reverse on a floyd smile.gif They do look a pinch odd as they are oblong.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 16 2018, 06:17 AM) *
Just a quick addition; The bullets have a lot of weight to them, placing on a vintage trem. makes it sound like the trem. block is upgraded. I never tried these with a floyd guitar, but yeah keeping them on the headstock again makes more sense as it will add weight to the headstock.

For the owner of the guitar, the change in mid response would be noticeable with bullet strings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:54 AM