Sabaton's New Music Video
Adam
Apr 22 2019, 07:32 PM
Learning Roadie
My mom just messaged me this vid and I've been listening to it for 20 minutes now.

Sabaton - Bismarck

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 23 2019, 01:45 AM
GMC:er
Cool vid and tune! The history is interesting as well. The German Battleship Bismarck was terror the sea, as mentioned in the song. She was thought to be unbeatable and unsinkable. She was the tip of the spear for KriegsMarine (German Navi). The British sent out their most storied and feared ship, the Hood, to take out the Bismarck. The Bismarck sunk the Hood with a SINGLE SHOT in about 5 minutes of combat. This was a serious blow to the British. After which, the call went out "SINK THE BISMARCK AT ALL COSTS". Essentially the entire British Navy (One of the largest in the world at the time) was tasked with one job. Sink that darn ship!! They finally found her. Somebody got a lucky shot on one of her propulsion screws and she could only turn in a circle after that point. After that it was just a matter of time.
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 22 2019, 02:32 PM) *
My mom just messaged me this vid and I've been listening to it for 20 minutes now.

Sabaton - Bismarck

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 23 2019, 01:47 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 26 2019, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 23 2019, 01:45 AM) *
Cool vid and tune! The history is interesting as well. The German Battleship Bismarck was terror the sea, as mentioned in the song. She was thought to be unbeatable and unsinkable. She was the tip of the spear for KriegsMarine (German Navi). The British sent out their most storied and feared ship, the Hood, to take out the Bismarck. The Bismarck sunk the Hood with a SINGLE SHOT in about 5 minutes of combat. This was a serious blow to the British. After which, the call went out "SINK THE BISMARCK AT ALL COSTS". Essentially the entire British Navy (One of the largest in the world at the time) was tasked with one job. Sink that darn ship!! They finally found her. Somebody got a lucky shot on one of her propulsion screws and she could only turn in a circle after that point. After that it was just a matter of time.

I enjoy learning about history, cultures and their customs but my dad is only interested in the Two Wars. It's not weird since Poland was in the center of Second War and its reason too. I recently got a huge Bismarck model to assemble and we had fun putting it together. I learned a lot listening to him too. History is controversial in Poland and my teachers spoke a lot about Polish uprisings etc. but none of them ever taught about anything after 1945 and my dad knows a lot about it, as I discovered!

There were a lot of comments on YouTube like "made to reign the 7 seas, sunk with a shot from bi-plane". I remember how the British were rulers of the seas, because their country is on an island, but iirc, they competed with the Spain and/or France at some moments. I think Japan was such a might in the Far East, being an Island etc.

I like Sabaton's approach to such subjects because they recognize the military power and great rulers but they don't take sides. They tell stories from certain perspectives and that's it. There was a band in Poland that did amazing album on Warsaw Uprising but soon after they started siding with a political party that simply shared their views. But after being invited to one or two of their events they got so much hatred and gave up on history completely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2019, 02:54 AM
It can get really tricky really quickly. Any time World War II comes up, it's always a bit of a dicey subject for lots of folks because of so many awful things that happened. Sabaton are not a political band, they just do music about War. The Bismarck was considered the terror of the seas and was meant to be an instrument of war and fear. It was crippled by a single outdated plane with a lucky shot with a torpedo. The entire story is interesting imho. It was a flaw in the design of the ship. The propellers were too close together. They did this to reduce drag to make it faster. Sadly, if one propeller gets damaged/stuck at a certain speed, the other one is not far enough away from the first to allow the ship to be steered just by throttling the propellers. This is why she just started going in circles until she was sunk.

I wonder if they are doing to do a song about the Japanese battleship YAMATO which was the biggest capital ship ever to hit the sea. It had great armor plating but they didn't armor the deck plate enough so one bomb went through and the entire ammunition storage exploded and sunk the ship. Sounds like a Sabaton song smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 25 2019, 07:17 PM) *
I enjoy learning about history, cultures and their customs but my dad is only interested in the Two Wars. It's not weird since Poland was in the center of Second War and its reason too. I recently got a huge Bismarck model to assemble and we had fun putting it together. I learned a lot listening to him too. History is controversial in Poland and my teachers spoke a lot about Polish uprisings etc. but none of them ever taught about anything after 1945 and my dad knows a lot about it, as I discovered!

There were a lot of comments on YouTube like "made to reign the 7 seas, sunk with a shot from bi-plane". I remember how the British were rulers of the seas, because their country is on an island, but iirc, they competed with the Spain and/or France at some moments. I think Japan was such a might in the Far East, being an Island etc.

I like Sabaton's approach to such subjects because they recognize the military power and great rulers but they don't take sides. They tell stories from certain perspectives and that's it. There was a band in Poland that did amazing album on Warsaw Uprising but soon after they started siding with a political party that simply shared their views. But after being invited to one or two of their events they got so much hatred and gave up on history completely.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 26 2019, 02:57 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 29 2019, 12:20 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 26 2019, 02:54 AM) *
It can get really tricky really quickly. Any time World War II comes up, it's always a bit of a dicey subject for lots of folks because of so many awful things that happened. Sabaton are not a political band, they just do music about War. The Bismarck was considered the terror of the seas and was meant to be an instrument of war and fear. It was crippled by a single outdated plane with a lucky shot with a torpedo. The entire story is interesting imho. It was a flaw in the design of the ship. The propellers were too close together. They did this to reduce drag to make it faster. Sadly, if one propeller gets damaged/stuck at a certain speed, the other one is not far enough away from the first to allow the ship to be steered just by throttling the propellers. This is why she just started going in circles until she was sunk.

I wonder if they are doing to do a song about the Japanese battleship YAMATO which was the biggest capital ship ever to hit the sea. It had great armor plating but they didn't armor the deck plate enough so one bomb went through and the entire ammunition storage exploded and sunk the ship. Sounds like a Sabaton song smile.gif

Todd

It was the flaw but I believe it was a well-kept secret. I don't know the details but I imagine someone stole the ship's plans for analysis or the plane just got a lucky blind shot.

I'm a bit familliar with Japanese history but I had no idea about such flaw in Yamato's structure. I think it's unlikely Sabaton will make a song about another warship anytime soon unless they come up with some maritime-themed album. They admitted it was hard to put Bismarck on any album after all.

Whatever they choose to do, I'm looking forward to it. I've been listening to them for a few days and I picked up a few nice riffs too! Their songs are so energizing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 30 2019, 12:05 AM
I'm with ya! Killer band and I love how they focus on Military History without getting political.

Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 28 2019, 07:20 PM) *
It was the flaw but I believe it was a well-kept secret. I don't know the details but I imagine someone stole the ship's plans for analysis or the plane just got a lucky blind shot.

I'm a bit familliar with Japanese history but I had no idea about such flaw in Yamato's structure. I think it's unlikely Sabaton will make a song about another warship anytime soon unless they come up with some maritime-themed album. They admitted it was hard to put Bismarck on any album after all.

Whatever they choose to do, I'm looking forward to it. I've been listening to them for a few days and I picked up a few nice riffs too! Their songs are so energizing!

I'm with ya! Killer band and I love how they focus on Military History without getting political.

Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 28 2019, 07:20 PM) *

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 30 2019, 08:01 AM
GMC Founder
Nice!

I am a big Sabaton fan - their latest album ("The Last Stand") and "Carolus Rex" are true masterpieces!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 30 2019, 03:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2019, 12:05 AM) *

Todd

Todd

I think they announced album The Great War for 2019, so we have something to look forward to smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 30 2019, 08:01 AM) *
Nice!

I am a big Sabaton fan - their latest album ("The Last Stand") and "Carolus Rex" are true masterpieces!

I got Carolus Rex's Platinum version but I don't understand anything from the Swedish version CD. I still need more time to learn even the basics smile.gif
I'm a fan since their show on Woodstock (link for the concert). This was amazing, even for a Polish audience! You know the band is really great if their live shows are better than studio albums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
May 3 2019, 03:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Yet another premiere by Sabaton and just as energizing as the Bismarck (if not more!) I suddenly feel like pre-ordering their new CD when it's possible. I never really do that but their past albums are great and the two new songs are already promising!

Fields of Verdun! Short and to the point!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2019, 08:19 AM
Was just about to post this vid but you beat me to it!! Nice smile.gif I gotta say, I don't often wish I was in any given band, but I do wish I just woke up one day and found myself in Sabaton smile.gif That would be fun.
Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 3 2019, 10:27 AM) *
Yet another premiere by Sabaton and just as energizing as the Bismarck (if not more!) I suddenly feel like pre-ordering their new CD when it's possible. I never really do that but their past albums are great and the two new songs are already promising!

Fields of Verdun! Short and to the point!

+Quote Post
Adam
May 4 2019, 10:43 AM
Learning Roadie
I've had a dream once where I was auditioning for the position in there (and failed, but maybe after "graduating" from GMC something like this will happen to me!) Just dealing with the live shows' stress in a band like this requires a LOT of confidence and a strong personality. But I'm not going to remain a bedroom rocker forever smile.gif

I didn't learn Bismarck yet and they already published another song. Time to double my efforts!

This post has been edited by Adam M: May 4 2019, 11:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2019, 08:53 AM
Being in a band is a very fun thing smile.gif When you are ready I think you'll dig it!!
Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 4 2019, 05:43 AM) *
I've had a dream once where I was auditioning for the position in there (and failed, but maybe after "graduating" from GMC something like this will happen to me!) Just dealing with the live shows' stress in a band like this requires a LOT of confidence and a strong personality. But I'm not going to remain a bedroom rocker forever smile.gif

I didn't learn Bismarck yet and they already published another song. Time to double my efforts!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2019, 09:04 AM
GMC Founder
Well I'd sure rather be in the band than in those trenches. Great new tune btw!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:04 PM