Question For Guys With Emg 81/85's, Anyone have a single pickup in between them?
Praetorian
Nov 13 2008, 11:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
My Ibanez is Humbucker, Single, Humbucker setup. I just picked up a new set of Kerry King EMG 81/85's that I am putting in. But, this leaves a single coil open in the middle. I found EMG has some single coil active pickups. I am not looking for a clean tone with this guitar...it is strictly going to be used for metal. Does anyone else have a single in the middle? If so, what did you do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Nov 14 2008, 12:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 13 2008, 11:54 PM) *
My Ibanez is Humbucker, Single, Humbucker setup. I just picked up a new set of Kerry King EMG 81/85's that I am putting in. But, this leaves a single coil open in the middle. I found EMG has some single coil active pickups. I am not looking for a clean tone with this guitar...it is strictly going to be used for metal. Does anyone else have a single in the middle? If so, what did you do?

Are you wanting to keep a single coil in there? If not just leave the single coil you currently have in there but don't wire it up. I have a few guitars like this. Workd fine.

Monte

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 14 2008, 12:08 AM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Nov 13 2008, 06:03 PM) *
Are you wanting to keep a single coil in there? If not just leave the single coil you currently have in there but don't wire it up. I have a few guitars like this. Workd fine.

Monte

That's a good option! I don't really need the single coil, but don't want an empty hole! Thanks!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Nov 14 2008, 01:29 PM
GMC:er
OTOH why not wire it up just in case? You don't *have to* use it.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 14 2008, 02:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 14 2008, 12:08 AM) *
That's a good option! I don't really need the single coil, but don't want an empty hole! Thanks!

An empy hole looks cool, that's what I'm keeping in my S-S-S that I've converted to H-H wink.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 14 2008, 02:48 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Nov 14 2008, 07:29 AM) *
OTOH why not wire it up just in case? You don't *have to* use it.

I would have to go buy an active single coil though right? You can't mix passive and active can you?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Nov 15 2008, 01:24 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 14 2008, 02:48 PM) *
I would have to go buy an active single coil though right? You can't mix passive and active can you?

mmmm my mistake, didn't read your post properly.
I think you are right.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Koopid
Nov 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 14 2008, 02:48 PM) *

You can have both connected and use them, but not at the same time. I have passive neck pu and active bridge pu. I can use them one at a time but not together (mid position on the les paul dont work).

I would think you could still use the mid SingleCoil even if it is passive, but not the options where you use more than one pu. I would wire it, you never know if you wanna use a singlecoil later smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 13 2008, 11:54 PM) *

Don't waste your money on it. You'll be using bridge/neck PUs.
That's my opinion.

QUOTE (Koopid @ Nov 15 2008, 06:06 PM) *
You can have both connected and use them, but not at the same time. I have passive neck pu and active bridge pu. I can use them one at a time but not together (mid position on the les paul dont work).

I would think you could still use the mid SingleCoil even if it is passive, but not the options where you use more than one pu. I would wire it, you never know if you wanna use a singlecoil later smile.gif

Ofc you can use em at once if you rewire it. If the goal is not to use mid pickup, rewire.

However the mid pos isn't too useful for this style in any case.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2008, 08:51 PM
Instructor
If you need flexibility you might wanna leave the single coil, you never know when you're gonna need one. Also you can remove it, that can look like a guitar with attitude for metal wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 16 2008, 10:43 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 15 2008, 08:51 PM) *
If you need flexibility you might wanna leave the single coil, you never know when you're gonna need one. Also you can remove it, that can look like a guitar with attitude for metal wink.gif

I would make a push pull. Lower end, just connect humbuckers, so you can get 3 pos - higher, make so you can get 5 pos singlecoil.

This is a pretty easy prodedure with a push pull knob.

Edit: I dunno how good EMG's sound when they're splitted into singles though, or if they even have a single outlet.
Most Humbuckers have two outputs - one serial, and one with just one of the coils.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 16 2008, 10:45 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:30 AM