What To Record With?
Doug
Apr 19 2007, 08:38 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I did see some posts regarding recording software but decided to make a new post because I'm not sure if others are in a similar situation.
My goal is to record my playing with some backing tracks. I have a Digitech RP350 which USED to connect to my PC before I got a new one with Windows Vista. All I get with the RP is 10 seconds of recording time. I have a strat that goes into the RP, then out to a Line6 15 watt amp.

Since it could be ages before Digitech comes out with new drivers, the question is...how do i record?

THanks!

Doug
\../

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Line out from the amp to the line in on the soundcard maybe works?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 19 2007, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 19 2007, 03:47 PM) *
Line out from the amp to the line in on the soundcard maybe works?

aahh..yes that would make sense. However, would I want to use the line out from the amp or from the RP? I don't think I would get any of the mixer affects if I went out of the amp.
And I can just use the standard windows recording software? or anything else you can recommend that would be a more robust solution?

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 19 2007, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Doug @ Apr 19 2007, 02:54 PM) *
aahh..yes that would make sense. However, would I want to use the line out from the amp or from the RP? I don't think I would get any of the mixer affects if I went out of the amp.
And I can just use the standard windows recording software? or anything else you can recommend that would be a more robust solution?

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/
These forums are a home recording goldmine.

I would highly recommend that you do not run your amp or a line-out directly into your sound card, unless you have a sound card specifically made to receive line-level signals. You could fry out your whole soundcard. Check out some kind of interface, like an M-Box or a Tascam....they double as soundcards and can receive line-out signals from an amp (that's what they were made to do).

I use a Tascam audio interface, it runs guitar, microphone, midi, etc....and also functions as a soundcard. I record with Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. Not super high-end stuff, but I like it.

Seriously though, look through those forums and threads....you will find the answers to the majority of the questions you come up with regarding home recording.

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 19 2007, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 19 2007, 04:18 PM) *
These forums are a home recording goldmine.

I would highly recommend that you do not run your amp or a line-out directly into your sound card, unless you have a sound card specifically made to receive line-level signals. You could fry out your whole soundcard. Check out some kind of interface, like an M-Box or a Tascam....they double as soundcards and can receive line-out signals from an amp (that's what they were made to do).

I use a Tascam audio interface, it runs guitar, microphone, midi, etc....and also functions as a soundcard. I record with Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. Not super high-end stuff, but I like it.

Seriously though, look through those forums and threads....you will find the answers to the majority of the questions you come up with regarding home recording.

Thanks Wheeler,
Damn there are waayyy too many options! I just want to hear what the hell I sound like! hehe.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 19 2007, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 19 2007, 10:18 PM) *
I would highly recommend that you do not run your amp or a line-out directly into your sound card, unless you have a sound card specifically made to receive line-level signals

Like I said, Line-out to Line-in. Good of you to clarify, don't want a speaker cable into the soundcard or into the wrong connection.

A *poff* followed by smoke with that familiar smell of burned electrical equipment is well known to me, I should be the last to give advice rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 19 2007, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 19 2007, 04:58 PM) *
Like I said, Line-out to Line-in. Good of you to clarify, don't want a speaker cable into the soundcard or into the wrong connection.

A *poff* followed by smoke with that familiar smell of burned electrical equipment is well known to me, I should be the last to give advice rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif Exactly....I saw that you had specified line out to line in....I just wanted to make sure it was clear, because I sure did a number on my computer. Lesson learned: don't run a 150 watt all tube amplifier directly into your E-Machine budget desktop computer's stock soundcard. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 19 2007, 11:44 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 19 2007, 06:06 PM) *
laugh.gif Exactly....I saw that you had specified line out to line in....I just wanted to make sure it was clear, because I sure did a number on my computer. Lesson learned: don't run a 150 watt all tube amplifier directly into your E-Machine budget desktop computer's stock soundcard. biggrin.gif

So I'm assuming my 15 watt line 6 should be able to go out to my soundcard...?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 20 2007, 10:20 AM
QUOTE (Doug @ Apr 20 2007, 12:44 AM) *
So I'm assuming my 15 watt line 6 should be able to go out to my soundcard...?

To make 100% sure you MUST check your Line6 and soundcard manuals and compare to see if line out (from amp) and line it (soundcard) match.

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 20 2007, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 20 2007, 05:20 AM) *
To make 100% sure you MUST check your Line6 and soundcard manuals and compare to see if line out (from amp) and line it (soundcard) match.

Understood. The output from the Line6 is the large kind of connector, like what plugs into your guitar..wonder if there's an adapter to make it an 8mm, or whatever the headphone jack size is...
damnit..why the hell did I buy Vista...I almost put my fist through the monitor last night

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 20 2007, 06:27 PM
QUOTE (Doug @ Apr 20 2007, 09:02 AM) *
Understood. The output from the Line6 is the large kind of connector, like what plugs into your guitar..wonder if there's an adapter to make it an 8mm, or whatever the headphone jack size is...
damnit..why the hell did I buy Vista...I almost put my fist through the monitor last night

Here's the thing to look out for...and I am NOT a technical person at all, this is pretty much the extent of my knowledge...but "line out" jacks export the signal at a level known as "Line Level"....and the microphone input on your soundcard...if it's a stock soundcard....is most likely NOT made to receive signals at Line Level...that's what puts you in danger of frying out your soundcard. If you want to plug into the mic jack, you need to plug your unamplified guitar DIRECTLY into the mic jack using the adapter you mentioned. That's why I recommend shelling out a few bucks to get an instrument interface to run your guitar through. It CAN receive "Line Level" signals, so you can run your amp directly into it. Then use the recording software of your choice. There's even some free recording software available online. I'll fish around in a little while for A) an example of an interface, and B- the name of the recording software, and I'll let you know what I come up with. smile.gif

EDIT - Here's some free recording software that gets pretty good press on Home Recording Connection, I think it's worth checking out.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

EDIT #2 - Here's some interface examples from Musician's Friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/naviga...puter+interface

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 20 2007, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 20 2007, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 20 2007, 01:27 PM) *
Here's the thing to look out for...and I am NOT a technical person at all, this is pretty much the extent of my knowledge...but "line out" jacks export the signal at a level known as "Line Level"....and the microphone input on your soundcard...if it's a stock soundcard....is most likely NOT made to receive signals at Line Level...that's what puts you in danger of frying out your soundcard. If you want to plug into the mic jack, you need to plug your unamplified guitar DIRECTLY into the mic jack using the adapter you mentioned. That's why I recommend shelling out a few bucks to get an instrument interface to run your guitar through. It CAN receive "Line Level" signals, so you can run your amp directly into it. Then use the recording software of your choice. There's even some free recording software available online. I'll fish around in a little while for A) an example of an interface, and B- the name of the recording software, and I'll let you know what I come up with. smile.gif

EDIT - Here's some free recording software that gets pretty good press on Home Recording Connection, I think it's worth checking out.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

EDIT #2 - Here's some interface examples from Musician's Friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/naviga...puter+interface

I am a technical guy, but never got into stereo/recording stuff, just computer networking. But that Line Out explanation does make sense. I will check out those links.
On a good note, after yelling at Dell for a while I got them to give me the same PC, but with Windows XP, very excited about that! Once I have that operating system I might go for the Tascam, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US122LTNT

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 20 2007, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Doug @ Apr 20 2007, 12:49 PM) *
I am a technical guy, but never got into stereo/recording stuff, just computer networking. But that Line Out explanation does make sense. I will check out those links.
On a good note, after yelling at Dell for a while I got them to give me the same PC, but with Windows XP, very excited about that! Once I have that operating system I might go for the Tascam, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US122LTNT

Wow!! You got Dell to send you a new system with XP?? Well done sir!! And I can tell you that I got the same Tascam, but the 144 model (got it for same price as 122 so I figured what the hell)....I was having the EXACT same issues as you, and it took care of everything. I now use it for recording and as the soundcard for my entire computer. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 20 2007, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 20 2007, 03:04 PM) *
Wow!! You got Dell to send you a new system with XP?? Well done sir!! And I can tell you that I got the same Tascam, but the 144 model (got it for same price as 122 so I figured what the hell)....I was having the EXACT same issues as you, and it took care of everything. I now use it for recording and as the soundcard for my entire computer. smile.gif

My persistance finally paid off. I was ready to just bail and buy another 2gb of RAM. only took me 90 minutes to get the job one with Dell. Had to speak to the supervisor somwhere in the armpit of Zimbabwe of course. FUN!!

I see the 144 is about the same price as the 122 bundle, but I like the fact that the 122 comes with everything you need, mic, software, etc...this is getting to be expensive smile.gif eggs n toast, eggs n toast..LOL

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Apr 20 2007, 08:18 PM
What i do is line out from amp then use audacity to record (great program!)

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Doug
Apr 20 2007, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Apr 20 2007, 03:18 PM) *
What i do is line out from amp then use audacity to record (great program!)

Do you use any additional hardware? or just a PC mic?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:14 PM