Jazz Theory From Basic To Advanced Study By Dariusz Terefenko
PosterBoy
Sep 1 2020, 10:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Has anyone used this and its accompanying work book?

It's well recommended on r/MusicTheory on Reddit.

I'm not sure I've got what it takes to go through it as a disciplined study and it's not exactly cheap.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2020, 02:33 PM
Instructor
I've never heard about this one. The only thing that makes me doubt is that it's for keyboard players. If these are your first steps in Jazz, I would go for a guitar oriented Jazz book.

You can also take a look at these sources:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51072

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonseries/Jazz-Notes/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 1 2020, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
You need to be able to read standard notation relatively well.
The reality is is that there's no such thing as "Jazz" theory. There's just theory. How it's applied to jazz (or rock or whatever) is determined by how you use it. If you don't listen to a lot of jazz and/or desire to play jazz then a jazz theory book isn't gonna do anything for you.

Do you want to learn how to play jazz music specifically?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2020, 01:43 AM
Great point. Jazz is a style of play, not a type of theory. You can have Jazz and show the music theory behind it, just like you can death metal and show the theory behind it. Once you understand theory in general you can apply it to just about anything. You can mix and match styles to create something of your own which is always a good thing IMHO. For example the band ATHEIST mixed Jazz with Technical Death Metal because the drummer was taking jazz lessons at school. Next thing you know, a knew genre is invented. "Death Jazz"

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 1 2020, 03:41 PM) *
The reality is is that there's no such thing as "Jazz" theory. There's just theory. How it's applied to jazz (or rock or whatever) is determined by how you use it. If you don't listen to a lot of jazz and/or desire to play jazz then a jazz theory book isn't gonna do anything for you.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 2 2020, 10:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 1 2020, 08:41 PM) *

My interest in Jazz is pretty limited to chord melody, I'm a fan of Ted Greene (who isn't) maybe this book isn't for me to get proficient with Chrod extensions, reharmonising, tritone subs and backcycling 5ths etc

I'm quite happy to learn and play around with Jazz standards from a chording position, Jazz soloing isn't really my thing at the moment.

Maybe i just need to focus on Ted's stuff on the web.

I do have an academic interest in theory, though I'm very aware that knowledge for knowledge sake is pretty much a waste of time if you can't put it into practice.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 2 2020, 02:20 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 2 2020, 10:08 AM) *
My interest in Jazz is pretty limited to chord melody, I'm a fan of Ted Greene (who isn't) maybe this book isn't for me to get proficient with Chrod extensions, reharmonising, tritone subs and backcycling 5ths etc

I'm quite happy to learn and play around with Jazz standards from a chording position, Jazz soloing isn't really my thing at the moment.

I do have an academic interest in theory, though I'm very aware that knowledge for knowledge sake is pretty much a waste of time if you can't put it into practice.

I've been enjoying his modern chord progressions book a lot!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 2 2020, 02:20 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2020, 03:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 2 2020, 06:08 AM) *

Even if you don't want to play jazz or don't listen to it very frequently, standards are great tools to expand our chords, scales and arpeggios knowledge. Rock/Metal is a bit limited in these aspects so I think that you won't regret getting into them as an excuse to practice chord voicings, chord melody, triads, arpeggios and many other elements.

3 good ones to start are:

Autumn Leaves
Blue Bossa
It could happen to you

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2020, 03:54 PM
The Ted Greene website has a ton of good info.
You may find this playlist on my YT channel useful ... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZh...IJhs0CFx_KSlEER
These don't go in any order.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 2 2020, 04:03 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 2 2020, 03:54 PM) *
The Ted Greene website has a ton of good info.
You may find this playlist on my YT channel useful ... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZh...IJhs0CFx_KSlEER
These don't go in any order.

I actually been lurking on there for a while! Thanks for doing them. cool.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2020, 05:52 PM
Thanks for viewing!
Another one coming up in a bit.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2020, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 2 2020, 01:52 PM) *
Thanks for viewing!
Another one coming up in a bit.

Great stuff mate!! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 3 2020, 09:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Ken
Even thugh I subscribed to your channel I forgot about the Ted stuff. They are really nice and accessibly lessons.

I downloaded his V system once, and that's just as overwhelming as Chord Chemisty even with some more structure in place.

Ted is always my argument against people that say Kayne is a musical genius.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2020, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 3 2020, 05:09 AM) *
Ken
Even thugh I subscribed to your channel I forgot about the Ted stuff. They are really nice and accessibly lessons.

I downloaded his V system once, and that's just as overwhelming as Chord Chemisty even with some more structure in place.

Kayne?

I love this clinic, it's full of beautiful sounding chords and knowledge.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 3 2020, 02:34 PM
Learning Roadie
There's a great part in that Clinic I believe where the MI students are following the chart and one questions what Ted was playing when the chart had a G7 or something and Ted explained he played about 10 chords backcycling 5th with chormatic approaches etc

*mind blown*

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 3 2020, 03:27 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 3 2020, 09:09 AM) *

They are, arent they.
Some times I just stare at all the 10 thousand diagrams and wonder the meaning of my life laugh.gif laugh.gif

More often than not, I take 1-3 voicing ideas that he presents and mess around the neck, like trying to make a 30 sec music piece with them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 3 2020, 04:24 PM
I don't "use" the V system. I understand essentially what it is but I don't need to classify things like that to play.
Ted was into organization. He loved to make lists. Lists of chords, lists of common chord progressions, lists of how many times a composer or band used the same chord progression, lists of musical styles, etc.
They say that the V system was going to be a book ... maybe, maybe not. A lot of the stuff on the website is Ted's personal notes to himself.

It can be totally overwhelming especially when it's presented all at once, which is now how we get it since it's all been collected and posted. It was never meant to be that way.

That's why I do those 'quick' lessons on my YT channel. I just want to present some of the material and show that it's not all inaccessible or 'advanced'.

*The gold in Chord chemistry are the chapters that proceed the chord dictionary. In those chapters he actually uses many of the voicings in musical contexts.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 3 2020, 01:09 AM) *
Ken

I downloaded his V system once, and that's just as overwhelming as Chord Chemistry even with some more structure in place.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 4 2020, 01:31 AM
Per usual KEN is spot on IMHO. Take it in small chunks and put it in musical context. Let your ears lead you and look at your fingers then deconstruct.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 3 2020, 11:24 AM) *
I don't "use" the V system. I understand essentially what it is but I don't need to classify things like that to play.
Ted was into organization. He loved to make lists. Lists of chords, lists of common chord progressions, lists of how many times a composer or band used the same chord progression, lists of musical styles, etc.
They say that the V system was going to be a book ... maybe, maybe not. A lot of the stuff on the website is Ted's personal notes to himself.

It can be totally overwhelming especially when it's presented all at once, which is now how we get it since it's all been collected and posted. It was never meant to be that way.

That's why I do those 'quick' lessons on my YT channel. I just want to present some of the material and show that it's not all inaccessible or 'advanced'.

*The gold in Chord chemistry are the chapters that proceed the chord dictionary. In those chapters he actually uses many of the voicings in musical contexts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:36 PM