Tell Me About Nerve Damage
purple hayes
Jun 2 2009, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Why the pinky, rind and middle fingers are both hands tingly? unsure.gif

It's been that way for maybe two months. Some days are better than others.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 2 2009, 03:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
That sounds weird mate, you should go see a doctor, might be nothing, but just in case...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 2 2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
keeping it loose is the key.. i heard if it starts to pain while practising.. just leave the practice.. otherwise your nerve is damaged permanently!

I am having a little bit of that problem.. I guess too much practise. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Jun 2 2009, 04:09 PM
GMC:er
What is tingly? You mean they are shaking involuntary after playing? If yes, than that`s ok. Or you feel some sort of pain\stretching in those fingers? Did you do a proper warm up each time before playing? dry.gif

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jun 2 2009, 04:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Sorry, I don't have time for a lengthy reply, but the ring and pinky are supplied by the ulnar nerve. Most problems resulting in tingling on those two fingers arises from the elbow. These are usually transient and will go away with rest and sometimes with ibuprofen to decrease inflammation. However, without specific information, nor time to ask you, you're best bet is rest. It's unlikely to cause nerve damage after such a short time, however, we have to keep that in the back of our heads. smile.gif Most get the sensation they just hit their "funny bone," as that is smacking the ulnar nerve directly at the elbow. I find, in my office, most cases of ulnar nerve symptoms are from using arm rests on chairs, and occasionally from having your elbow flexed too much all the time, combine that with some inflammation and you can produce those symptoms.

Again, however, with limited information and no time to engage you in a discussion before I get on a plane, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Cheers!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 05:02 PM
As noskill said, pinky and ring finger is the ulnar nerve, and the thumb, index finger and long finger is the other one, the one that goes through the carpal tunnel. I basically don't know much, but I think the the ulnar nerve can affect the long finger a bit aswell, so I'd definetly go see a doctor. Nerve problems are never good, but start by trying to keep the arm as straight as possible, especially when you're sleeping. That might be some help, but go see a doctor.

I pretty much said the same things as NoSkill, but I hope you got something of value from this post aswell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 2 2009, 05:12 PM
Some questions:

1. Are you sitting in a chair while practicing?
2. Does that chair have arms?
3. Are you anchoring your left arm on the arm of that chair?
4. How do you feel about standing up instead?

The other end of that nerve connection is the "funnybone" in which you may have caused some inflamation or such. I used to experience something similar just from typing/gaming too long with my elbows laid heavily / anchored on the desk. Same spot.

edit: what the heck, I totally missed NoSkill's reply which says ... basically the same thing. "+1" I guess :\

This post has been edited by jafomatic: Jun 2 2009, 05:13 PM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2009, 12:48 AM
Instructor
They can tingle(like a cold tingle) if you practice to hard and muscles don't have time to rest. Try to put as less strain on your fingers as possible, and see if that helps. If not, go see a doctor just to be sure. In a long run you could develop some problems, or chronic issues.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 3 2009, 02:09 AM
Learning Roadie
How much do you talk on the phone? This study just came out today. heh!

Cell Phone Elbow" Begins to Strike Patients Worldwide
According to doctors, when you bend your elbow to hold your cell phone to your ear, you stretch a nerve which extends underneath the funny bone and controls the smallest fingers.

Good grief.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Jun 3 2009, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jun 2 2009, 11:12 AM) *
Most get the sensation they just hit their "funny bone," as that is smacking the ulnar nerve directly at the elbow. I find, in my office, most cases of ulnar nerve symptoms are from using arm rests on chairs, and occasionally from having your elbow flexed too much all the time, combine that with some inflammation and you can produce those symptoms.

Yeah, it's like I smacked my funny bone, but it's not nearly as intense and it fades in and out.

My day consists of getting up the in the morning, playing guitar for 2 hrs., working at a computer for 9 hrs. then spending somewhere between 1 and 4 hrs. using a lawn mower/edger/line trimmer (something constantly vibrating). And if I have any free time, I'll spend in playing guitar or on the computer.

I guess I really started up when both guitar practice and lawn mowing both became more "intense" a couple of months ago.

I'll try some ibuprofen to see if that doesn't help.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 3 2009, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
There is a tunnel on the other side of the hand than the carpal tunnel where the nerves for the pinky and ringfinger goes.

So, you could have the equivalent of carpal tunnel syndrome but that other tunnel I can't remember name of. I had this "syndrome" about 5 years ago, they did nerve tests and such and it turned out I had reduced nerve something or other (the signal was too low). Anyway, you should go check it out so that they can fix it for you, I had to use support for my left hand for a couple of months while sleeping and while typing on the computer.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM