2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Best Recording Device For Beginners, i know nothing about recording
Trond Vold
Apr 10 2008, 12:52 AM
Instructor
This is a toneport:

There is a USB plug on the backside of it that goes into the USB port of the PC/laptop. Then you connect the guitar to a input on the front.
You dont need your amp for this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 10 2008, 12:53 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 01:12 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 10 2008, 09:52 AM) *
This is a toneport:

There is a USB plug on the backside of it that goes into the USB port of the PC/laptop. Then you connect the guitar to a input on the front.
You dont need your amp for this.

right mate ill get one of them but the cheaper version mentioned above in the previous threads........so i got a few more questions if yur willing to answer

1. when i use this toneport and start recording......will sound play through the speakers of the laptop whilst i have the reaper software on....or do u just hear the sound of an electric guitar being strummed .

2.with reaper.....say i record a riff....how do u insert a bassline or drumbeat over it.........do u have to somehow record them aswell or does reaper have them built in or do u have to import them from somewhere else

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 10 2008, 01:33 AM
Instructor
I dont have a toneport or reaper myself, so better to let someone with more experience using them answering those questions.

But you will get sound through your speakers, with or without reaper running.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 10 2008, 01:33 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 10 2008, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (slash85 @ Apr 10 2008, 02:12 AM) *
right mate ill get one of them but the cheaper version mentioned above in the previous threads........so i got a few more questions if yur willing to answer

1. when i use this toneport and start recording......will sound play through the speakers of the laptop whilst i have the reaper software on....or do u just hear the sound of an electric guitar being strummed .

2.with reaper.....say i record a riff....how do u insert a bassline or drumbeat over it.........do u have to somehow record them aswell or does reaper have them built in or do u have to import them from somewhere else

With the toneport you get a program called gearbox where you can choose different sounds....

To get sound from the tonport you need to cennect speaker or headphones t listened to the sounds....

And with reaper you have to insert the base and drumbeat seperatly and record the guitar over that

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (superize @ Apr 10 2008, 10:40 AM) *
With the toneport you get a program called gearbox where you can choose different sounds....

To get sound from the tonport you need to cennect speaker or headphones t listened to the sounds....

And with reaper you have to insert the base and drumbeat seperatly and record the guitar over that

so where do u actually get the bass ine and drum beats from though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Apr 10 2008, 02:00 AM
Hi,

I used a POD XT Live some month ago, but man, I was tweaking those knobs more than I hit the strings on my guitar.
If you want a good metal guitar sound that's not expensive you buy a Digitech DF-7 which got both amp and mixer out.
You can buy an external soundcard with builtin preamp for recording. It shouldn't get too expensive.
The DF-7 has 7 different sounds. Check it out, even better, play it.
No need to mic anything, just sit all night when family is sleeping and create riffs. Perfect! tongue.gif

Guitar -> DF-7 -> Preamp (soundcard) -> Cubase

You could always buy an older version of Cubase, no need to have the most recent version when recording guitars.
I can recommend the following software if you are gonna make complete songs:

Wavearts (http://www.wavearts.com/PowerSuite5.html)
A Trackplug on a stereo group channel in Cubase is superb. Route your 2 L/R panned or 4 guitar tracks to this group
and use EQ, 2 compressor, noise gate, gain to tweak the sound. A really nice plugin. Use a compressor to tame the guitars, one to add attack or flatten out uneven volume on the recorded tracks. Lots of "presets" are ready to be tweaked.

Izotope Ozone
For mastering your tracks there is only one thing you need. Izotope Ozone. It also got many good presets but one tip is too tweak everything from scratch and not use the ready presets. It's impossible for those preset to know what you recorded so better to use your ears and go step by step. (Don't have Ozone activated when recording. It causes delays to the signal.) It's always good to have a reference track in Cubase. You are easily fooled by your own ears especially if you are playing in headphones. If you are making a let's say Disturbed kind of song. Have a track with them on a track and mute, unmute and compare while mastering.

Addictive drums
IMHO the best drum sound for the money. Great stuff.

I know these things costs money but if you are really serious about recording it's worth it.
One more thing about recording riff ideas. If it sounds pretty good on a mono track you are doing something right.
If it sounds really good on a mono track it'll be a killer riff when you record it on the other channel. Pan them hard left and right. I suppose you knew that but maybe there is a n00b like me out there reading this!
If you record 4 tracks it often sound good if you don't play chords on every track but single notes on 2 tracks instead. Try it out. Sometimes it works miracles. It can also sound nice if record 2 tracks with very little distortion to get more bounce and attack.

I am working nightshift and I am bored tonight that's why this post got so damn long. Sorry. Hahaha.
Hopefully there is something useful to someone in "there".

Goodnight people!

This post has been edited by Antipolitik: Apr 10 2008, 02:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 02:08 AM
cheers for the input champ......i have absolutley no idea about recording anything so all this is news to me .......with all the tweakings and the pannings and stuff i have no idea either......i just plug me guitar in an away i go so its gona take me a lot of time to understand all this....mate i can barely get the best sound out of me amp let alone anything else lol tongue.gif ...but ill look into anything pretty much it all helps in the long run wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 14 2008, 12:29 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Toneport ux1 and ux2 are for me best buy and most straightforward wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2008, 12:39 AM
Instructor
I agree with Bogdan. If you use 2 mics and 2 guitars go for UX2 if you use 1 mic and one guitar go for UX1.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 24 2008, 09:06 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 9 2008, 02:31 PM) *
Guitarport + Rifftracker or Reaper is OK. I've noticed that with my computer the Guitarport doesn't cut it. It records with low latency but playback when i have 4-5 tracks starts to get messy, at 6 tracks my Sony ACID Pro has response times up to 30 seconds (Reaper is better, only 10 seconds...) - playback goes silent frequently as the Toneport gets too much to do. It's as if the toneport handles the recording while leaving the playback to the internal soundcard (and mine sucks)
When I plugged my POD X3 into the same computer it's flawless.

I was re-reading this thread because I'm going to buy some recording stuff friday, I had decided to get the toneport ux2 but then I read this comment that I missed when I looked the first time.

MickeM was this the GuitarPort that you had this problem with, or a Toneport? I'll probably be recording quite a few tracks is the reason I ask.
I have the money to buy the X3 but I don't really want to spend that much money if something cheaper will do.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Apr 24 2008, 09:09 AM
Korg Pandora smile.gif It rules biggrin.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jun 25 2008, 04:32 PM
Instructor
I have a Zoom h4 and it is amazing, you can record with out a computer, or use it as a microfone (it becomes your sound card.), for recording in the pc, if you are not using vsti, try adobe audition 1.5, that thing wont take almost any ram at all and it works really fast, remember also to download asio drivers for better latency, google asioforall.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 10 2008, 10:33 PM
All of these are great but they are software/computer based. I am a techie, and while I have used them in the past(Traction, Cubase LE etc), last year I bought myself a stand alone digital recorder , Boss BR-600. There are some different models based upon your budget and needs, but it is so much simpler to use than a software based system, and more hands on rather than pointing and clicking on a computer. The one I got has built-in drums, built in models and effects(For Guitar, Bass, vocals).

It is so simple, that when I get a guitar idea, I just plug in my guitar into a normal 1/4" input and can lay down the track within seconds - really has opened up my creativity(Not a hassle to set up) when I have a song idea I want to develop later - It also has built-in condensor mics for vocals, and can run off batteries in one self contained unit. Also has more advanced features with adding mixers, external mics, and using software based systems if you want to go that route. The effects are awesomw - uses Rolands COSM modeling/effects processor that is used in the Cube amps, etc

Obviously they cost a bit more $200+, but if you are going to have to upgrade your computer equipment/ software to record anyways, you might find this all in one unit a better fit.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2008, 11:46 PM
Instructor
Nevertheless computer approach is far more flexible, and in don't need to be complicated at all. The thins that Boss device has is mobility, and all in one package. Peformances are on a low level for some semi-pro work, but then again the cost is lower than PC/DAW/VSTs/APS too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jul 11 2008, 06:53 AM
Learning Roadie
oops, wrong post

This post has been edited by Koopid: Jul 11 2008, 06:56 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:47 PM