Going Backwards, From Tubes To Solid State
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 12:15 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For various reasons, the main one being I don't want that kind of money stored in the rehearsal room. Then add some complications with another band who can't keep their hands off other peoples stuff I might aswell be proactive and put something inexpensive in there instead.
Either way I'm lifting my amp out of there.
I'll be involved in another project aswell where I will also be in need of an amp. I don't know how to solve it just yet, possibly with a preamp pedal like the H&K tubeman, or a Blackstar HT dual and plug into a cheap poweramp at both locations or into the PA.
One other option is to get a solidstate or hybride to carry around where I go.

I just wanted to hear your opinions on these. I'm not looking for a modeling amp.
I want the brootalz gain to be good and a good low end.

Randall RG75DG3PLus (hybride with digital effects)
http://www.thomann.de/se/randall_rg75dg3.htm
SS preamp and a tube driven poweramp. That's new!?!?

Marshall AVT100XT
http://www.thomann.de/se/marshall_avt100xt.htm
It's a Marshall, which is cool in itself. Doesn't have the acoustic simulator of the old AVT, which was a cool thingy but not a must have.

Laney LV300Twin
http://www.thomann.de/se/laney_lv300twin.htm
I have no clue.. it's a Laney wink.gif

Hughes & Kettner Attax 100
http://www.thomann.de/se/hugheskettner_attax100.htm
Much like the Switchblade by the looks of it... only ss

Kustom Quad 65
http://www.thomann.de/se/kustom_quad_65_dfx.htm

Kustom HV65
http://www.thomann.de/se/kustom_hv65.htm

Please share your experiences with these amps! Which ones doesn't cut it, like the HV65 I don't think it's enough a bad boy to grind.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Aug 24 2009, 12:23 AM
Learning Roadie
I can't help you with the amps you listend, but what about the PEAVEY VYPYR 75/100 ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 24 2009, 02:31 AM
GMC:er
how about the roland jc120 with pedals?

that is the studio classic

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Aug 24 2009, 05:28 AM
how about kick the other bands ass? I'd be superpissed! Why not only remove the mainfuse on the amp between practice?

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 08:24 AM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Aug 24 2009, 06:28 AM) *
how about kick the other bands ass? I'd be superpissed! Why not only remove the mainfuse on the amp between practice?

If I could be 18 again, yes. I brought the cord home with me. The story is quite long but last week it escalated when my buddys amp was dead and the knobs had been touched. There's other things aswell.

QUOTE (Skalde @ Aug 24 2009, 01:23 AM) *
I can't help you with the amps you listend, but what about the PEAVEY VYPYR 75/100 ?

I like that one but it's a modeling amp so not what I'm looking for.

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Aug 24 2009, 03:31 AM) *
how about the roland jc120 with pedals?

that is the studio classic

It's too expensive, around 1000E. I need a cheap amp in the rehearsal room.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 24 2009, 09:54 AM
Yea, I hate taking good gear that I like to gigs and practice rooms. Had a bit of abuse from a guy at a gig once, who asked to borrow my cabinet. It's rated for 30W RMS, as I use it with an 18W head. He wanted to put his 100W marshall head through it, so I explained that I couldn't let him use it as it would damage the speakers. He then started having a go at me saying that I was selfish and should always lend people my gear. I didn't really want to have to spend 200/300 quid on a new cabinet all so he could use it for one gig...

I'd recommend investigating getting one of those power amp bricks, I can't remember what the brand/model is called now but it's basically a solid state power stage that you can pair up with a preamp, they're small and lightweight and rate up to around 150W I think. Then you could just get a valve pre-amp pedal, which again is light and easy to move, and run it into the input of the power stage. That way, you can have valve sound, solid-state lightness and robustness and then just rig it up to whatever cabinet you have availble, so you can use a 1x10" for practice and a 4x12" for gigs and such...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 24 2009, 10:26 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm, I heard that Randall RG75DG3PLus in action several times. Its a really good sounding amp, has good clean and lots and lots of gain. From mentioned above that would be my choice.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (AdamB @ Aug 24 2009, 10:54 AM) *
Yea, I hate taking good gear that I like to gigs and practice rooms. Had a bit of abuse from a guy at a gig once, who asked to borrow my cabinet. It's rated for 30W RMS, as I use it with an 18W head. He wanted to put his 100W marshall head through it, so I explained that I couldn't let him use it as it would damage the speakers. He then started having a go at me saying that I was selfish and should always lend people my gear. I didn't really want to have to spend 200/300 quid on a new cabinet all so he could use it for one gig...

I'd recommend investigating getting one of those power amp bricks, I can't remember what the brand/model is called now but it's basically a solid state power stage that you can pair up with a preamp, they're small and lightweight and rate up to around 150W I think. Then you could just get a valve pre-amp pedal, which again is light and easy to move, and run it into the input of the power stage. That way, you can have valve sound, solid-state lightness and robustness and then just rig it up to whatever cabinet you have availble, so you can use a 1x10" for practice and a 4x12" for gigs and such...

Can't belive some people who just demand things. I also found my amp in such state they didn't use the standby when shutting it down. I don't like the idea of having that extra wear on my tubes because someone has their way with my amp and have no idea how to treat it.

Your idea is a brilliant one! I think you mean the Crate block?
I could pair that with a HT dual. I got the Blackstar HT5 and I'm satisfied with the sound I get from it. I could carry all of it with me. Except for a cab.
Doable, absolutely doable.

Found another ss amp that seem to have the grind.
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/SEK/Hiwatt-...-GIT0007917-001

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 24 2009, 11:26 AM) *
Hmm, I heard that Randall RG75DG3PLus in action several times. Its a really good sounding amp, has good clean and lots and lots of gain. From mentioned above that would be my choice.

Sound like the sound I'm looking for smile.gif

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 24 2009, 11:18 AM
Yea the crate block, that's it! I knew I'd seen it somewhere! I've been thinking of doing this for some time, as it'd be a nice small modular system that I could rig up to pretty much anything. And, if anything fails, I don't have to replace the whole thing, I can just replace the component that's died.

I don't think there's much of a way to get around needing the lug a cabinet around, except to go through the PA. But I suppose you'll have that problem no matter what amp you go with.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 24 2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor
I can share my experiences only for Randall RG75DG3PLus and Marshall AVT100 Combo:

Randall (did album with it): Modern sounding, very decent clean, great amount of gain. The amp itself sounds a bit thin when on low volumes, it roars really nicely when cranked. OD channel works best when cranked on low volumes it's synthetic sounding and thin. Clean sounds fairly decent on low volumes. Fender-like clean, not as rich and brilliant, darker but precise. Has decent effects too. Good gigging amp on a budget no doubt. Decent bass response on higher volumes (for a combo) it has very cool metal chunk and harmonics are popping out like crazy.

Marshall (rehearsed in studio many times with it): Classic sounding, very thin clean and thin overdrive. I would stay away from this if you cannot plug it into a bigger cabinet. Effects are thin as well. I think I read somewhere that the speaker in it is actually not impedance matched with the amp, so this explains the poor sound, not too much lows and less volume. I played AVT50 many times (owned it actually for some time, and played over 100gigs with one of them) it is much better amp than AVT100. Again, the AVT 100 does need a bigger cab, without it it's just pure and simply - thin.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ivan, I'm kind of hoping to find the Randall or the H&K among the top smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 24 2009, 04:43 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2009, 07:24 AM) *

It's too expensive, around 1000E. I need a cheap amp in the rehearsal room.

Pretty certain that you can still get smaller versions of the 120 Micke, I think the JC-90 is still available and is about 500USD. I have a JC-55 and used to use a JC-120 years ago and the clean channel on it is great imho.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 24 2009, 04:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Randall RG75DG3PLus: Br00tal gain, good clean, loud and fat sounding, mabye a bit muddy for some peoples tastes...

Marshall AVT100XT: No br00tal, not even high gain. The amp sounds weak and gets lost in the mix

Laney LV300Twin: Also no br00tal high gain but a better tone than the marshall, Laney's sound a bit specific, you either like it or not

Hughes & Kettner Attax 100: Solid State version of the Switchblade, really good sounding but it's not loud enough for band practice! It's weird because it says 100 watts but you can crank it and it's nowhere near a cranked Blackstar ht-5 (5watts lol). That goes for the combo, haven't played the head!

Kustom Quad 65 & Kustom HV65: No experiance with those amps, sry.

Can't you just buy a lock for your amps input or take the head with you when you are not rehearsing. I think it's important to rehearse with your live rig!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 24 2009, 05:43 PM) *
Pretty certain that you can still get smaller versions of the 120 Micke, I think the JC-90 is still available and is about 500USD. I have a JC-55 and used to use a JC-120 years ago and the clean channel on it is great imho.

Didn't find any but the JC-120. The Cube 80 caught my eye, spite having a few amp models it looked clean and lovable.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 24 2009, 05:57 PM) *
Randall RG75DG3PLus: Br00tal gain, good clean, loud and fat sounding, mabye a bit muddy for some peoples tastes...

Marshall AVT100XT: No br00tal, not even high gain. The amp sounds weak and gets lost in the mix

Laney LV300Twin: Also no br00tal high gain but a better tone than the marshall, Laney's sound a bit specific, you either like it or not

Hughes & Kettner Attax 100: Solid State version of the Switchblade, really good sounding but it's not loud enough for band practice! It's weird because it says 100 watts but you can crank it and it's nowhere near a cranked Blackstar ht-5 (5watts lol). That goes for the combo, haven't played the head!

Kustom Quad 65 & Kustom HV65: No experiance with those amps, sry.

Can't you just buy a lock for your amps input or take the head with you when you are not rehearsing. I think it's important to rehearse with your live rig!

Thanks! I was honestly expecting more from the H&K Attax. Leaves us again with the Randall, I can live with a bit muddieness, perhaps can be cured with pickups that separate the strings in a good way.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 24 2009, 09:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
There is always Bugera if you don't mind Behringer 5150 and triple xx peavey clone amps...
The sound is good but the quality is on the edge. Or oyu could get the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo that will be released in the next month:

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2009, 09:21 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 24 2009, 10:06 PM) *
There is always Bugera if you don't mind Behringer 5150 and triple xx peavey clone amps...
The sound is good but the quality is on the edge. Or oyu could get the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo that will be released in the next month:

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

Teriffic price of the peavey! I was going to try avoid a tube amp due to the extra maintenance cost but I'll pay that 6505 combo an extra thought.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 24 2009, 09:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2009, 10:21 PM) *
Teriffic price of the peavey! I was going to try avoid a tube amp due to the extra maintenance cost but I'll pay that 6505 combo an extra thought.

Yep Peavey is really going all out on this thing!
As far as I can tell (played it on the Musikmesse) they did not reduce the quality of this combo compared to the head! Same tubes, same speaker (not the best, but alright), same built quality. If the production model is the same as the one I have played then this will soon be a bestseller at that price!

(I am tempted aswell rolleyes.gif )

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 25 2009, 10:03 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 24 2009, 10:06 PM) *
The sound is good but the quality is on the edge.

I was excited when Bugera entered the market but I never payed Bugera that much attention after I learned about low quality issues. Now I checked a couple videos after all and I can't help thinking it might not be half bad...
I owe it to myself to check the 6262 out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJf1EpAmBps...feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT37ou1A6sg...=response_watch

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor
I don't know.. buying Bugera means buying Behringer. This is something I wouldn't buy for gigging, if you value reliability.

On the other side, I think 6505+ is a great combo, there is even 2x12 version of it that should cover the bottom end pretty decently as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:25 PM