New Amp !, Help me find a amp.
AskenNr1
Sep 14 2008, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
Im looking for a new amp which doesnt cost me a fortune. I've been playing on a Fender blues junior in my local music store i think its sounds wonderful ( i play mostly blues/rock). But im not sure if it sounds loud enough, can i have that one when im playing with my band ? is 15 watt enough?

Any other amps that cost about the same ? ( about 900$), that has a good "bluesy" sound ?

I really NEED help, for me its like a jungle out there with amps cool.gif

oh, and btw, the guitar which im going to buy at the same time is a strata american standard...

Thanks !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
sigma7
Sep 14 2008, 08:30 PM
wait a minute...the blues amp fender 15 watt costs $900?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
2mazzo
Sep 14 2008, 08:46 PM
If you play with a band, I would go up to 30 or 50watt minimum. I also think that the Fender blues junior 15watt amp is not worth the money. Check this one out, its way cheaper and in my opinion its sound better. http://www.intersalg.no/product/458888/Kus...stom_HV100.html
http://www.intersalg.no/product/435301/Kus...ustom_HV30.html
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?...ID=74&Tab=0

This post has been edited by 2mazzo: Sep 14 2008, 08:49 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP M-I/FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez AEF37E Acoustic
Kimbara Classical

Amp: Kustom Quad 100DFX 100watt 2x12" Combo

Gear: Line6 Pod XT Live with all model packs

Midi controller: M-Audio Ozone

Software: RiffWorks, Cubase SX, Cubase Sequel and Guitar Pro 5.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2008, 08:48 PM
Instructor
If you're playing with a band it is best to buy a more powerfull combo, like tube 40Watter or similar.

Also there are a LOT of amps out there that can have a "bluesy" sound, giving in respect that amp is not the only thing that produces the sound.

It would be useful to know what is available for you to buy in the store. Give us a list of the amps you like and then we can try to help. There is no point recommending amps that you cannot buy or if you don't like how they sound. So...what are your options?

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 14 2008, 08:49 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Noangels
Sep 14 2008, 09:42 PM
Check out the Carvin Belair,has a good reputation for its tone and price

Can do sizzling country and biting blues-stick a pedal in front of it and you can rock out too:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
AskenNr1
Sep 20 2008, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 14 2008, 09:48 PM) *
If you're playing with a band it is best to buy a more powerfull combo, like tube 40Watter or similar.

Also there are a LOT of amps out there that can have a "bluesy" sound, giving in respect that amp is not the only thing that produces the sound.

It would be useful to know what is available for you to buy in the store. Give us a list of the amps you like and then we can try to help. There is no point recommending amps that you cannot buy or if you don't like how they sound. So...what are your options?

I really like the sounds from fender amps. I will use it to practice in my room and play with some friends from time to time. As I said i've been testing the fender blues junior. But i've also considered the fender hot rod deluxe. But, since i'm gonna have it in my room I think the blues junior is a better choise?

My local store also have some speciel prices on some orange amps. The tiny terror to mention one.

The vox ac 30 is another amp i've been checking out. The same problem with that amp as the hot rod deluxe though, maybe its to powerful since I cant play it on high volume?

QUOTE (sigma7 @ Sep 14 2008, 09:30 PM) *
wait a minute...the blues amp fender 15 watt costs $900?

Well, in sweden it does rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 21 2008, 08:12 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (AskenNr1 @ Sep 20 2008, 09:35 PM) *
... But, since i'm gonna have it in my room I think the blues junior is a better choise?

The vox ac 30 is another amp i've been checking out. The same problem with that amp as the hot rod deluxe though, maybe its to powerful since I cant play it on high volume?

The possible issue you have is that you need low volume for bedroom practice (between 0.5 -12/15W max) but also need @40W for practicing with your group as Ivan said. 15W may just not be loud enough to cut it against a drummer and a bass etc. With valve amps they really need to run virtually flat out to sound their best as the gain is non-linear - the valves need to saturate in order to produce the nice musical distortion and that only happens at high gain (or with the volume on '11' as Spinal Tap thought wink.gif .)

One way round this is to get a transistor/solid state amp that will produce linear distortion across its volume. Main issue here is that many solid state amps are seen as not as good as a valve amp's distortion. If you really want a valve amp then one possible way round the volume issue is to attenuate it. To do that you need an attenuator/power soak load placed between the amp and the speaker. There are a number of power soaks around - THD Hotplate is one. Marshall make another. I think they cost around 100-250Euros. If you decide to get a valve and an attenuator also make sure it matches the speaker load - check with the shop's technician if you're not sure.

Also, very sadly, Fender are expensive in Europe and Scandinavia. Maybe have a look at the on-line European guitar shops that ship to Sweden - they may be able to do it for less. If not consider a European amp like Orange, Ashdown etc.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 21 2008, 09:16 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (AskenNr1 @ Sep 20 2008, 11:35 PM) *
I really like the sounds from fender amps. I will use it to practice in my room and play with some friends from time to time. As I said i've been testing the fender blues junior. But i've also considered the fender hot rod deluxe. But, since i'm gonna have it in my room I think the blues junior is a better choise?

My local store also have some speciel prices on some orange amps. The tiny terror to mention one.

So Fender it is then since that's the sound you like. No use getting a substitute that you will only be semi-satisfied with. Right?

You never mentioned your budget as far as I could see but I'd recommend you to get two amps. One for the rehearsal room and one for the bedroom. If you make it habit to carry the tube amp between home and rehearsal a couple times a week that could wear tubes down (especially if you move it around when the tubes are warn) or break them instantly.
Doesn't happen that often but has happened to me once.

I can suggest, if you look away from Fender, what I have. A Peavey Classic 30, I've rehearsed with it which it is anough for and I've gigged with it which is also enough for pub size or bigger. A narrow room is fine, a wider room you need to spread the sound by plugging it into a 4x12. Same problem with all 1x12.
Musikborsen now has them at cut price with 1000 SEK, now cost 4999 to previous 5995.
If you need bigger sound there's the Peavey Classic 50 (also cut 1000 SEK I belive)

For home get a small nano valve or something. The Studio seem cool with built in attenuator. Must be great for home.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 21 2008, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AskenNr1 @ Sep 20 2008, 11:35 PM) *

OK, if you like Fender, the way I see it there are only a couple of options if you plan to play it loud and those are

1. Hot Rod Deluxe - the most expensive option, all tube, highly recommend, if possible
2. FM 65 DSP - it does sound a bit thin, but great all-around amp.
3. Frontman™ 65R similar to previous except it doesn't have on-board effects.

Orange Tiny Terror is good amp, but it more british crunch than american clean amp.

Vox 30 is again one great amp, but different from Fender and Orange. Vox has a great sound for blues as well.

Regarding some of the amps being to loud for playing at home, non of these amps have built in attenuators, so it would be good to by a separate power attenuator. This way you can crank the amp at home and get a saturated tube sound even on low volumes. Attenuators are not too expensive and you can possibly order one via web if you can't find it available.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 21 2008, 03:53 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:30 AM