Band Promotion On The Internet - Advices?, Suggestion of online radio's and other sites helping promoting a b
John Crow
Jul 31 2012, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi, GMCers and music lovers.

I've got a question for You, or rather asking You for advice where I can promote my band worldwide (I mean outside Poland) and get more listeners, fans and... fame biggrin.gif Ok, the last one will come eventually, but first we need to get to more people, to show them that we exist, to interest them with our music and share it with them.

So far we have recorded, by our own effort, an EP with 5 song on it. It passed a year and half since the time and new (as for me also better) songs have been made. That's the reason we also would like to promote our sellaband profile to collect cash for recording new stuff for new album and its little promoting tour.

I'll be glad if you could post some online internet radio which are interested in promoting new, independent bands some forums where people can get news about new bands etc.

In addition I'd like to get some feedback about our music smile.gif It's more nu-metal blended with some metal and hardrock style with screamy vocal, though tongue.gif

Sellaband (ok, profile looks cheap 'couse still figuring it out how to customize it:)):
https://www.sellaband.com/en/projects/envia

Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/myenvia

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/myenvia

That's for that moment. I'll appriciate any help in promotion

Regards \../.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Fallen Angel DSP 60, Ibanez SZ520 QM Customize, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, BossGT10, Ibanez Weeping Deamon,
www.myenvia.pl / www.myspace.com/myenvia / www.facebook.com/myenvia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2012, 03:50 AM
Todd here smile.gif I"ve created a thread to talk about this very topic complete with tips/tricks/links etc.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=36421

Also, a quick search in the forums and wiki will yield tons of great info on nearly every topic.

Todd

QUOTE (John Crow @ Jul 31 2012, 04:38 PM) *
Hi, GMCers and music lovers.

I've got a question for You, or rather asking You for advice where I can promote my band worldwide (I mean outside Poland) and get more listeners, fans and... fame biggrin.gif Ok, the last one will come eventually, but first we need to get to more people, to show them that we exist, to interest them with our music and share it with them.

So far we have recorded, by our own effort, an EP with 5 song on it. It passed a year and half since the time and new (as for me also better) songs have been made. That's the reason we also would like to promote our sellaband profile to collect cash for recording new stuff for new album and its little promoting tour.

I'll be glad if you could post some online internet radio which are interested in promoting new, independent bands some forums where people can get news about new bands etc.

In addition I'd like to get some feedback about our music smile.gif It's more nu-metal blended with some metal and hardrock style with screamy vocal, though tongue.gif

Sellaband (ok, profile looks cheap 'couse still figuring it out how to customize it:)):
https://www.sellaband.com/en/projects/envia

Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/myenvia

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/myenvia

That's for that moment. I'll appriciate any help in promotion

Regards \../.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 3 2012, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Hi John.. I did this a couple of years back. Unfortunately you've gotta spend some boring time searching this stuff up. I used to type in key words like 'metal radio stations etc'. I'd also have a list of countries and big cities in that country. I'd then search for rock/metal stations and by that city keyword. I'd find one of two things:

1: I'd find some individual stations

2: Occasionally you'll find a page which has a long list of online stations, some of which are defunct but some of them are still going.

I got my music played on quite a few but here's a couple I remember the names of...

http://www.metalheadradio.com/

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=radio

The thing is, I'm not convinced that many people actually listen to these things sadly.. you need to get on bigger stations which isn't easy if you're unknown. Getting a viral video on YT would be more beneficial to you I think smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 3 2012, 10:08 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2012, 11:20 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Many/most countries will have both some form of performing rights association. PRAs will often try and help members and this can extend to providing listing information/advice. Most countries also have some type of radio stations listing, including internet radio stations, as most need to have some form of central database of who owns and operates the license to broadcast. In addition there is also this here. Most countries also have various radio associations and groups and there are a couple of world wide ones ie AMARC . There are also a lot of commercial internet sites that claim to be able to promote your band to various outlets including radio.

Be aware that you will probably stand more chance of getting airplay with non-commerical stations like college radio/community/local then with big national or commericial ones. Commercial radio stations also have moved more and more to a point where they are part of commercial groups who use a set playlist dictated by head office. Ben's point about reach is very true - you can check this for UK broadcast to air stations by consulting the RAJAR statisitics here. Other countries will have their own versions. (US for instance will have a variation via Billboard.) I'm not aware of one for internet stations off the top of my head though.

If you are doing it yourself it then becomes a case of getting the relevant lists and targetting properly. I'd strongly recommend that you find out something about the station and their airplay so that you identify the programs that you think your music will fit best with. Once you have done that maybe contact the statio and see if you can have a chat with the program producer or someone in their team. Don't just talk about the type of music also ask about how they want it presented to them - format, cover information and so on.

When you do send stuff do make sure that you send it in the right format, etc. Ideally put together a proper demo package that also includes an info sheet about you and the band etc. This is partiularly important for larger stations as many will receive hundreds of demos a wek - so you need yours to stand out.

I would also strongly recommend that you have your release properly mastered etc so that they include ISRCs and all other necessary meta data. You may need to send radio friendly version as well if there are any broadcast issues to do with 'bad' anguage. Be aware that radio stations, including internet radio, have a tendency to add additional compansion etc to your audio and unless you want your music to sound thin and brittle you need to take this in to account when you produce and master it. Also be aware that the depth of compassion used can vary by music/broadcast program type and country.

If you want to know more on the production side of radio, RAJAr etc then someone here on GMC (that would be me) co-authored a book on it a couple of years ago wink.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 3 2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor
Yes, it's always worth having a quick read of any site and their 'contact us' policy. If they don't have one then I used to drop a polite email first before sending any mp3's. In fact, I never sent any mp3's outright, I always made contact first. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2012, 02:48 AM
Some great replies to get you started smile.gif As you may be finding out, breaking through the noise of the millions of bands now recording in their own home studio an releasing music through itunes, soundcloud, and countless other sites is the biggest challenge you'll probably face as an artist

There has never been a better time to be an artist/musician IMHO as you no longer need a record lable to make/distribute your music. However, with no lable to support / promote you, it's entirely up to you. Getting anyone to notice you, your band, your music is the riddle of the ages. Every band/artist that manages to find some success has to forge their own path. I'd suggest some interent research on bands similar to yours that have had any success of any kind and see if you can pull any lessons from how they did it.

One of the quickest ways forward is of course to "go viral" to create a music video that is so creative, so inspiring, that it gets shared on youtube and around the world.

So first,

1.) Make some AMAZING music.
2.)Make some AMAZING videos.
3.) Try anything and everything to break through the noise and forge your own path.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 4 2012, 09:23 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2012, 02:48 AM) *
There has never been a better time to be an artist/musician IMHO as you no longer need a record lable to make/distribute your music...

Pretty much so Todd.

I'd make one slight amendment though - you do need a record label but it can be your very own. So you don't have to sign to someone else's label but can create your very own. The reason why you need a label is so that you can asign ISRCs without which many radio stations will not play your stuff and you will not get PR payments. Without an ISRC many digital redistributors will asign their own to your release and it then becomes part of their record label. Apple I-Tunes, Amazon etc all require ISRC before they will stock your digital material.

Here are the fun bits for many musicians who self-release: if you don't have a suitable mastering system you can't encode, read and confirm ISRCs. ISRCs are written as part of the PQ for red book CDA, reading and writing them thus requires software that can read and write PQ data and a CD drive that can read this header track. Many daws can't do PQ - and some of those that can don't do it properly - and most CD drives don't/can't display the info properly. If you go straight to digital you probably haven't encoded ISRC even if you have them since there generally is no PQ. If you go straight to mp3, or even if you transcode from a redbook CDA with ISRCs, the mp3 will not include the ISRC as it is not standard metadata. ISRC for mp3s requires additional, edited ID4 sub code tags.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
John Crow
Aug 4 2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks to all for richfull advices. They'll definitelly help. Ok, so firstly, I need to assign ISRCs for songs. Frankly, that's what we are doing at the moment. It will take a while so meanwhile I'll get list of radios to whom send an EP. I also will have time to mull over how to outstand others smile.gif

We do have a manager and he does a lot of stuff towards promotion of bands. Recently he arranged a tour in Poland for few british bands. But because I do care for my band i'd like to help finding ways of promotion, and pass to manager so he can handle it, though smile.gif

Recently we have made a video for one of our songs - GOA. It was ONE HUGE improvisation during one day of shooting... oh and totaly home made (with photo cameras and phone cameras) to make it we had spend like $20 + beer smile.gif After a month or two of postproduciton we could manage to construct something like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HweRCsVotZU

Can you tell me what you think about it? Is it worthy broader publicity and send it virally wider or rather hide it in garage untill fully proffessional one arise for new songs biggrin.gif

Regards \../.

--------------------
Fallen Angel DSP 60, Ibanez SZ520 QM Customize, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, BossGT10, Ibanez Weeping Deamon,
www.myenvia.pl / www.myspace.com/myenvia / www.facebook.com/myenvia

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:47 PM