I Hit A Hurdle
vampire18
May 27 2010, 06:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
im at that point in theory and playing the i can come up with cool licks riffs and could probably come up with a decent solo to a backing track, but how do i get those things into a song? for example i have a little melody i composed(at least i hope i composed, who knows if someone alredy played it with all the riffing going arround)
http://www.box.net/shared/hqvjar48kc
now what do i do with it? it has 3 parts which is more or same number of riffs you have in a conventional not to tricky metal song, anyone got any tips or insights to share?

edit: wrong link(now good)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by vampire18: May 27 2010, 06:07 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 27 2010, 06:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Okay, I'M pretty new at composing myself...the riffs sound awesome, so I would choose one (maybe the first) as a verse riff, the second one as the chorus riff and the third one for a bridge. Play the first riff a few bars longer and add a second guitar playing the riff an octave higher and sing or play a melodie over it. Same goes for the chorus and the bridge. After the bridge, take the verse and chorus riff again and play a solo over it. Not too creative, but it will be a whole song in the end. As I said, add a second guitar and then maybe a few more just playing a few licks here and there.
But it sounds great so far!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 27 2010, 06:45 PM
GMC:er
Agreed. This sounds like a song already. My favorite test is "will it loop?" and I believe this one will. You might want to edit, or re-track, some of the riffing where your muting is a little long in the tooth but otherwise this is a totally intact song demo. It's already more "complete" than demos proposed by members of platinum selling bands.

If it's going to have lyrics --and because of its title I really hope it will have lyrics, I want to hear them-- then you should write those out and finalize the arrangement. Either write the lyrics and then lay out the measures of music, or lay out the measures of music and write the lyrics.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Sentenced
May 27 2010, 10:32 PM
Learning Roadie
I tried to built something with your ideas and thats the result...I hope that helps you to get some ideas.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  RiffsInToSong.mp3 ( 2.64MB ) Number of downloads: 71

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 27 2010, 11:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Music composition - something I'd like to see discussed more myself because that is by far my own biggest struggle. I started a thread here (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35214), with a similar question and got a few ideas.

In my own research, I've found a few angles to consider when creating a whole song. Consider first the main components of a song.

Intro (hook)
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Bridge
Chorus
End

or some variation thereof. If you're into radio-ready metal, then you're limited to about 3-4 minutes.

So lay out in your DAW a time line for about 3-4 minutes, then change the timeline to bars. Figure your intro will be about 4 bars (?), your verse about 4-8 bars(?), Chorus about 4-6 bars(?), etc. You be the judge based on how long your existing riffs are.

If one of your riffs makes a good chorus, then fill those time slots with copies of your chorus and adjust your time-line to accommodate them or vice versa. Do the same with your verse if you think you have a riff or melody that would go well there. Then fill in the missing parts with simple chords in-key or a compatible key with what you filled in and listen to it to see if you get any ideas from what you're listening to. Then start filling in some of the gaps to get some direction for the whole song. When you come up with a general direction, then create a new track, mute your first scratch track, and play your idea thru the entire time-line. Then listen to it to see if you get inspired by anything you laid down. For instance if you envision some heavy drum lead-in, create a parallel track and stick it in there at that point, then listen again and see if that further inspires you.

I haven't come up with any rock-solid method myself, but this is one approach I've been toying with. I find that listening to music, whether its my own or someone elses, inspires me at that moment to think to myself "oh, this melody or vocal or drum or bass would go perfect here." So take the opportunity while you're sitting down to try putting it in.

Just some thoughts on personal inspiration techniques that might help you come up with what to do with your existing licks to make a song en-toto.

Keep us posted on your progress - if anything you do helps you personally, I know I would be very interested in learning myself.

Good luck,
Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
vampire18
May 28 2010, 03:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sentenced @ May 27 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I tried to built something with your ideas and thats the result...I hope that helps you to get some ideas.

very cool, sounds like a old computer game music(doom(the game) style)
well, you gave me some ideas. i feel i have more metrial to work with now

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:10 AM