4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Mentored Training Program, Intermediate Sign ups!
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 01:55 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
If you want to take part, and are prepared to help us work the process out and give us feedback on how it is working for you, then signup here!

To apply, we need the following from you:

To sign up, a student must post to the signup thread, including a video of his or her current level of playing - this gives the potential mentors a feel for the type of playing the student' level - this does';t have to be elaborate, just a few chops and techniques, as well as something which involves rhythm guitar - if possible with a backing. The student should also include some ideas on what he/she wants to achieve in the next 6 month period, and some notes on the overall style of playing they want to develop - either spoken in the video , or in writing in the signup post.

I will pick a minimum of 4 members to work with for the next 2 months.

Videos will be accepted til the 3rd October giving you plenty of time to record your video, that weekend I will announce the members that have been chosen for the program, as with the beginners program we will use the practice agenda feature to keep in touch and follow progress etc smile.gif

Lets see your videos!! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 24 2008, 03:46 PM
GMC:er
can't wait to go home and record a video for this...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 24 2008, 04:01 PM
Hopefully I won't get lazy and record a video.. I could really use some mentoring from a shredder like you smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 04:29 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 24 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Hopefully I won't get lazy and record a video.. I could really use some mentoring from a shredder like you smile.gif

well I`l do my best, thats for sure smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 24 2008, 05:17 PM
Smells - would video from a digital camera be sufficient?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 24 2008, 05:17 PM) *
Smells - would video from a digital camera be sufficient?

yes mate, so long as we can see & hear you, the video doesnt need to be super quality smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 24 2008, 06:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Maybe I'll jump in! I just need some time for making footage.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 24 2008, 06:48 PM
hi!
i wanna sign up for the mentor programm...
i am 35 years old and i´ve been playing guitar for 21 years now, although i had many years, where i didn´t really pick the guitar up. i started to play guitar by learning mainly songs from iron maiden when i was young. then i played in some bands (i still do) and i alwys played songs and never thought about technique or theory much - therefore i am quite a poor and sloppy player considering the 21 years. for the last one and a half years i couldn´t get enough of playing guitar. i am married, have two little boys and a rather demanding job, but i use every spare minute i can find to play guitar. so i think the mentoring programm is the best way for me to learn - to use the time i have for playing in the best and rewarding way by learning exactly what i need to improve. without help i always get lost in the huge amount of lessons and songs to learn and play and i always have the feeling that i have far too less time for fooling around.

i have 4 videos of me playing gmc lessons and 2 audio tracks of song parts i have written
melodic solo
tecno cirse
rock tune
queensryche style

Attached File  nicelittleidea2.mp3 ( 500.84K ) Number of downloads: 225

Attached File  towerssolomp3.mp3 ( 987.46K ) Number of downloads: 223

i guess i know a little bit of most of the techniques (i never really tried sweeping but i never had the feeling i should) but i dont know them well. as i said i never really dig into it deeper.
my weakest spot is theory. i know the 5 pentatonic shapes and i know what the major scale shapes look like but when it comes to playing solos, i have no idea what to play and when. i have a faint idea of the concept of modes but i would never be able to play in for example c lydian. so one of my main goals will be to get a grip on scales and modes - i wanna understand them and be able to play them. i always play the same licks and i cant hear them anymore!
another goal is technique - alternate picking, bending and tapping. i really have to get down to some basics again to go over my mistakes and learn the stuff correctly. i can not make progress if i do not do it in the right way. i really wanna get a good picking speed that sounds correct and i really wanna learn tapping licks (for example arpeggios with tapping).
so i really need someone to guide me, give me a path to follow. someone who sees how i am making progress or not and what steps i should take to improve. i will and can really practice hard if i have the feeling, that i am practicing the right thing.
i hope this is enough information (if not please contact me)...
i am really looking forward to the mentoring program!

keep on rocking cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (wollace03 @ Sep 24 2008, 06:48 PM) *
hi!
i wanna sign up for the mentor programm...

perfect info, thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 24 2008, 08:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I apologize for the the post but it seems I may posted in the wrong area and did not provide enough info about myself here. I want to keep the thread consistent.

I have been playing rhythm guitar for about the last 20 years. I play in 2 bands. One for my church and the other is a metal band.

My ultimate goal is to become a shredder but understand it will take a while to get where I want to be. I can solo a little bbit but not enough to be comfortable. I have to memorize the solo rather than just knowing where to play.
I have been doing the Pentatonic workshop and metronome study to build speed. I tend to focus in on one area at times to master it. I haven't really started any other video yet.

I have been reading Andrew's theory documents and getting a little better understanding of theory. Although I am still confused. I learn better if I had a "teacher" giving me assignments for what to accomplish for the week.

I understand that you are only taking 4 people this time around Smells. It is quite possible I have not been here long enough to be accepted so I'll totally undertand if I am not accepted this time around.

Here is a link to a solo jam I tried.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=19793

My video is attached below.

Thanks.
Dan cool.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  dbmentor.wmv ( 8.57MB ) Number of downloads: 210

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 08:45 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 24 2008, 08:29 PM) *
My video is attached below.

Thanks.
Dan B)

Nice video thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 24 2008, 09:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
In the first year of my guitar playing i never did alternate picking (i didn't get lessons at all) but then when i got a teacher because of doing music at school i learnt about alternate picking and modes and i started to progress a lot quicker. Because my teacher gave me targets every week that were possible i had something to work towards and got serious about the guitar and started practicing a lot more. Then i didn't get lessons because not enough people showed up to them, but i had joined GMC so i was doing alright. My alternate picking was adequate and i was getting gradually better but because i never had goals, and i didnt know what goals i could make myself, so i ended up not really being able to practice and ended up just playing things i knew, though i will point out GMC did help me with this because i had a lot of new things i could learn. I also lost motivation. This is the reason i would like to be in the mentor program.

Goals

1) Get a good right hand and left hand technique. Just now im not sure what to try and improve with each of these.

2) Finish learning to speedpick. I'll be happy when i can do 16th triplets at 120bpm, and when i can speedpick more than just up and down scales, and have a good technique. (I definitely want to do this first). Just now i can do 90bpm 16th triplets.

3) Learn sweep picking. Just now i am a beginner at sweeping and i can only do very simple things fast (i.e things where you only sweep one way so you don't have to change your picking directionat all). I don't have a specific target for this. This is actually my favourite shred technique but i think i should learn alternate first as it can be used for more things.

4) Sort Out some of my rhythm problems. This is something im not too good at that itd be very useful to be good at.

5) Improve my composing (bass, drums etc not just guitar).

6) Improve my improvising.

7) Learn to compose in the celtic and jazz styles. (I would like to do this once i've got my guitar technique good)7

8) Not sure when i would want to do this but i would like to start incorparating all the theory i know (iv done all of andrews lessons) into my playing.

8) This doesnt matter much but i would like to lose the strange grin i put on when im concentrating a lot on playing something (you can see a bit of it in the rhythm guitar video). smile.gif

There are other things i would like to such as fingerpicking, andy mckee style playing and tapping but i think what im said above is all i would be likely to achieve in the time, it depends on how much i can dedicate myself though.

My overall dream style of playing would involve being able to shred in a variety of different techniques and, having bits of rock (like bands and guitarists i mention below), celtic, and fusion/jazz in my playing. I would also like to have better melody skills like vibrato, bending etc so i can put more feeling into my playing.

My favourite guitarists are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Muris Varajic, Andy Mckee, Guthrie Govan, Buckethead and John Petrucci, although i like quite a lot of stuff as well as that. My favourite bands are Dream Theater, Cirse, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne with Rhandy Rhoads and Iron Maiden. The music i like best is generally ballads or songs with a lot of emotion in them, but i also like rock 'n' roll, groove etc. I like listening to anything really im just not too keen on some indie/pop, and most rap (i like eminem though).

I've uploaded me playing some modes and an improv but if you want me to upload anything else just ask. smile.gif I'll upload some rhythm guitar tomorrow.

Matt smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: Oct 4 2008, 06:26 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  modes.wmv ( 5.86MB ) Number of downloads: 189
Attached File  improv.wmv ( 6.22MB ) Number of downloads: 191
Attached File  Rhythm_guitar.wmv ( 2.07MB ) Number of downloads: 178

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 24 2008, 09:35 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I'll try to post as soon as I can, if somebody else posts before me, it's not worth anymore right? :/

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Sep 24 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I'll try to post as soon as I can, if somebody else posts before me, it's not worth anymore right? :/

yea post your vid mate, accepting videos till the 3rd October and will pick (probably 5) members for the program that weekend smile.gif

Go for it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 24 2008, 09:45 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Smells @ Sep 24 2008, 09:42 PM) *
yea post your vid mate, accepting videos till the 3rd October and will pick (probably 5) members for the program that weekend smile.gif

Go for it smile.gif

Ok, I'll probably take care of it tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Skalde
Sep 24 2008, 10:00 PM
Learning Roadie
I will record a video within the next days. I would be honoured to be teached by such a cool mentor. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Sep 25 2008, 05:26 AM

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 24 2008, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I would like to try this out

I woud really like to learn how to shred metal wise... Were talking Alexi Lahio, Luca Turilli, Stefan Elmgren and Yngwie Malmsteen kind of shred..... That is one of my biggest dreams

Some of my current goals are

Improv my Alternate Picking, Sweeping, Tapping and legato to be able to play som cool solos.

Start Writing songs

Learn i little theory

Learn how to play Arpeggios from hell by Malmsteen(Long term goal)

Have fun and learn as much as i can.

Attached File  Film_0001.wmv ( 4.38MB ) Number of downloads: 214

Here is a video of my Rytm playing.... I will upload some solo chops tomorrow

I really feel that i hav imporved alot this summer but i can still feel that i have alot left in me and i hope that with some guidance from

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (Skalde @ Sep 24 2008, 10:00 PM) *
I will record a video within the next days. I would be honoured to be teached such a cool mentor. cool.gif

*looks over shoulder* you talking `bout me? laugh.gif

thank you, get your vid in mate smile.gif

Superize, cool vid mate, thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 24 2008, 11:23 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Ok, Here it goes...I'm Filipe Rocha, I've been playing electric guitar for over 2 years now.
My goal is to be a melodic shredder, focusing on my main guitar idols: Syu from Galneryus, Jani- ex-Sonata Arctica, Emppu from Nightwish...
I know some theory, but it's difficult for me to apply it in an istant and sometimes I may get lost and confused. I've tried sweeping but need a different approuch for it, my alternative picking is not so bad I think, but I also think I have a wierd picking technique. I have some sense of melody and usually try to discover music by ear, so I can say I have decent ear trainning. I love blues and power metal mostly, but would like to study any style at all, because I love all kind of music as long as it's not those house, disco, techno things...

What I expect to improve or learn:

1) Learn how to sweep decently (as fast as possible in the period)

2) Learn how to mute properly, since I do alot of noise

3) Learn how to improvise without having a diagram of a mode or scale in front of me (I know minor pentatonic, major scale, and I know the mode patterns, but have difficulty using most of them unless I have them in front of me, because I like to jump from box to box and sometimes I miss a note)

4) Learn Legato and tapping cleanly...I never bothered to try legato that often in my playing since I need to improve my muting.

EDIT:
Here's the video, I messed it up a bit at the end, I used toneport and I'm not used to syncronizing movies and mp3 so hope it's ok for you, also it's the best quality I got. By the way, Ignore the faces I make please laugh.gif

Attached File  neo.wmv ( 6.99MB ) Number of downloads: 197

Thanks
Filipe

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Oct 2 2008, 08:55 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 25 2008, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Here is my solo video

Attached File  Film_0005.wmv ( 5.01MB ) Number of downloads: 213

The solo i am playing is muris beginner solo in D

This post has been edited by superize: Sep 25 2008, 06:46 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:06 PM