Do You Still Check The Forums?
SeveredSurvival
Jul 24 2019, 03:10 PM
GMC:er
Hi Kris,

I was a big fan of watching your videos on Ultimate Guitar years ago, learned a lot from you during my earlier years playing. I've since been playing about 15 years and did a 2 year guitar program in post secondary. Thanks for your inspiration in what has turned out to be a life of playing guitar smile.gif

Do you still use these forums? They seem pretty quiet but I also see a few posts from today too. It would be an amazing resource if guys like you and Ben Higgins were still on a message board and able to give advice.

Hope this is the case! Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 24 2019, 03:15 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SeveredSurvival @ Jul 24 2019, 04:10 PM) *
Hi Kris,

I was a big fan of watching your videos on Ultimate Guitar years ago, learned a lot from you during my earlier years playing. I've since been playing about 15 years and did a 2 year guitar program in post secondary. Thanks for your inspiration in what has turned out to be a life of playing guitar smile.gif

Do you still use these forums? They seem pretty quiet but I also see a few posts from today too. It would be an amazing resource if guys like you and Ben Higgins were still on a message board and able to give advice.

Hope this is the case! Cheers!

I do - and thanks for asking!

During summer I have a little less time than usual as my kids have summer vacation - but I try to catch up whenever I can - so please shoot if you have any thoughts/questions.

Oh and if you include a video of your playing you might just get a personal video response from me.. wink.gif It would be very cool to see where these 15 years have taken you!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Jul 24 2019, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 24 2019, 02:15 PM) *
I do - and thanks for asking!

During summer I have a little less time than usual as my kids have summer vacation - but I try to catch up whenever I can - so please shoot if you have any thoughts/questions.

Oh and if you include a video of your playing you might just get a personal video response from me.. wink.gif It would be very cool to see where these 15 years have taken you!

Wow talk about a quick reply, good to talk to you! Of course, and hope you're having a great summer with them. I'll certainly see about putting together a little video in the near future here, I'm on shift right now for a few more days. it'd be awesome to ask you a few things about my technique and all sorts of other stuff.

All the best, look forward to chatting some more soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 24 2019, 10:38 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SeveredSurvival @ Jul 24 2019, 04:51 PM) *
Wow talk about a quick reply, good to talk to you! Of course, and hope you're having a great summer with them. I'll certainly see about putting together a little video in the near future here, I'm on shift right now for a few more days. it'd be awesome to ask you a few things about my technique and all sorts of other stuff.

All the best, look forward to chatting some more soon smile.gif

Thanks - and looking forward to your video mate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Oct 10 2019, 05:58 AM
Hi Kris!

Hope you've been well. Here's a link to my video.

Cheers man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_RnAMXzTFw

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 10 2019, 08:20 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks! It says the video is private, I think you need to change the privacy settings for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Oct 10 2019, 01:03 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 10 2019, 07:20 AM) *
Thanks! It says the video is private, I think you need to change the privacy settings for it.

Sorry about that, meant to just make it unlisted.

Thanks! Fixed now.

This post has been edited by SeveredSurvival: Oct 11 2019, 04:44 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2019, 09:00 AM
GMC Founder
Bro!! 👊👊

Very cool jamming, your phrasing has very nice groove to it. With more work on tone and vibrato it would convey a pro impression- so well done with getting that funky timing down!

About your picking -

I think you have already put quite some effort into it. In order to get fluent with the two note per string picking I think you should try downward pick slanting as shown here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60349

Please note that this is for those runs only, when playing 3 note per string you would move back to the standard "slanting".

My recommendation for most long /fast picking runs - such as the A7X one - is to practice it with legato only. Do that for a while and then try again with picking - and you should notice it gets easier and easier.

Even if your picking isn't perfect the run can still sound amazingly fluid and cool thanks to legato. As an example - that's how Yngwie did it his first albums - before he was able to pick every note in the fast runs. And it still sounded amazing - if not better!

Keep up the good work bro - awesome to have you here <3

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Oct 16 2019, 04:30 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 14 2019, 08:00 AM) *
Bro!! 👊👊

Very cool jamming, your phrasing has very nice groove to it. With more work on tone and vibrato it would convey a pro impression- so well done with getting that funky timing down!

About your picking -

I think you have already put quite some effort into it. In order to get fluent with the two note per string picking I think you should try downward pick slanting as shown here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60349

Please note that this is for those runs only, when playing 3 note per string you would move back to the standard "slanting".

My recommendation for most long /fast picking runs - such as the A7X one - is to practice it with legato only. Do that for a while and then try again with picking - and you should notice it gets easier and easier.

Even if your picking isn't perfect the run can still sound amazingly fluid and cool thanks to legato. As an example - that's how Yngwie did it his first albums - before he was able to pick every note in the fast runs. And it still sounded amazing - if not better!

Keep up the good work bro - awesome to have you here <3

Hey Kris,

man, thanks so much for the response. It's really cool to get feedback from a guitar player I've long admired cool.gif

Thanks for the kind words first of all about the phrasing, I think it was one of the things I was weaker with prior to my time in the music program, and was subsequently something I tried hard to get better at, although i really have to be conscious i don't start noodling, basically. I find being mindful of the notes you're choosing is the most challenging thing about playing guitar. Not allowing yourself to hit a sweet lick, and have your brain go into rocker mode and go back to more instinctive playing, and probably less creative because of it, at least for me. I listened back to my video a few times and there's definitely a few things that I'll generously call "motifs" but really are kind of safety nets to get back to the key center or whatever haha. Such as "the Lick" dry.gif I'll try to prepare a song to record for you of me actually playing over chords and not just a jam track in Em, cause that's honestly not the best choice for avoiding going into cliches, now that I think about it.

I apologize for the tone, I was recording myself through Peavey ReValver off my computer speakers and through my phone, haha, again, video editing skills for music covers is something on my list to get better with, but I had already left you without a reply for so long. Truth be told though I don't have a good amp anymore, and I'm torn whether to spend some money on a good small tube amp (at school we used Fender Deluxe Reverbs and I think those seem like a good value) for the home studio, since I don't do a lot of live playing these days, or a Helix and some better computer monitors, which the previous owner of my Strat had, since I tend to do a lot of stuff on Ableton making beats anyway.

As briefly as you feel like, what about my vibrato could be better? I didn't notice anything about it listening back, which I guess means I didn't make it a point of emphasis, was it a lack of vibrato, or the technique and tone it produces when I do?

I checked out your other post, and watched the video about downslanting. I think I'm understanding the technique from watching. It's sort of hard to tell if I'm doing it correctly. I'll practice it and send a video later on.

thanks for the warm welcome! I miss the days of using message boards. social media sucks, haha. it's a shame how dead the UG forums are for what they were in their heyday. I'll try to be a participant and a contributor to the discussion where I can smile.gif

PS. if you do private Skype lessons, I'd be interested. PM me if that's something you offer. I'll have to do the math on our time zone difference but I've always been a night owl anyway, haha.

Cheers bud!

This post has been edited by SeveredSurvival: Oct 16 2019, 04:45 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 16 2019, 07:12 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SeveredSurvival @ Oct 16 2019, 05:30 AM) *
As briefly as you feel like, what about my vibrato could be better? I didn't notice anything about it listening back, which I guess means I didn't make it a point of emphasis, was it a lack of vibrato, or the technique and tone it produces when I do?

I think you are doing what I did ~5 years ago - overlooking what a topic vibrato is. Just as with licks and other techniques - a specific type of vibrato might suit one backing but not the other. So you have to start focusing on what type of vibrato you hear in your head for a specific backing track. Once you have done this you can start focusing on the actual technique to nail that specific vibrato.

In your playing here:

I would say you are in the ballpark to for this type of vibrato:

With the big difference that you start yours as soon as possible, whereas Greg kinda gradually builds it up when needed. Typically you want to give the listener a chance to hear the note without altering the pitch (through vibrato) for a short moment. Then vibrato is needed simply because guitars have inherent intonation problems.

QUOTE (SeveredSurvival @ Oct 16 2019, 05:30 AM) *
thanks for the warm welcome! I miss the days of using message boards. social media sucks, haha. it's a shame how dead the UG forums are for what they were in their heyday. I'll try to be a participant and a contributor to the discussion where I can smile.gif

PS. if you do private Skype lessons, I'd be interested. PM me if that's something you offer. I'll have to do the math on our time zone difference but I've always been a night owl anyway, haha.

Cheers bud!

Thanks bro 👊 the pleasure is mine. Yeah I start to feel message boards should make a comeback! I don't do skype currently but rather have the ambition to be able to spend any extra time I have here on the forum - so thanks so much for this topic 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Oct 24 2019, 08:57 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 16 2019, 06:12 AM) *
Thanks bro 👊 the pleasure is mine. Yeah I start to feel message boards should make a comeback! I don't do skype currently but rather have the ambition to be able to spend any extra time I have here on the forum - so thanks so much for this topic 👊

Hey Kris,

Thanks for the valuable feedback, I've just gotten the chance to really sit down and work on some of that stuff and it's definitely challenged me in some ways.

That video of Greg Howe is so good. I hadn't seen it in a really long time. Sunny was one of the first jazz songs I ever heard, played by Pat Martino, and it always held a place close to my heart. I see where I have a ton I could learn from listening to Greg's phrasing more closely. I listened to his last few albums recently and he's truly a monster. I thought Guthrie was untouched in that realm of jazz fusion stuff but some of the stuff on "Wheelhouse" is totally in that same stratosphere.

This post has been edited by SeveredSurvival: Oct 24 2019, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2019, 09:02 PM
GMC Founder
Yeah - and I would say Greg has an advantage songwriting wise as well!

Listening to Wheelhouse right now, thanks for reminding me of this killer album.

Looking forward to hear more updates about your progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Oct 25 2019, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 24 2019, 08:02 PM) *
Yeah - and I would say Greg has an advantage songwriting wise as well!

Listening to Wheelhouse right now, thanks for reminding me of this killer album.

Looking forward to hear more updates about your progress!

I never thought of that but you're right. There's certainly a larger body of work to pull from, which is awesome too when you find a new artist you like.

This vibrato technique definitely keeps your callouses honest!

+Quote Post
SeveredSurvival
Nov 27 2019, 07:41 PM
Hi Kris!

Hope you've been well. It's been an interesting few weeks of practice. Had a really hard time getting my fingertips to heal up after wrecking them a few weeks ago but we're finally back in action.

I transcribed the first 2 choruses of that Greg Howe solo, and it has been an awesome learning experience for me. In the video I'm attaching I totally cack the one vibrato bit which bums me out cause I usually get them but for the most part the other lines were pretty good so despite it not being perfect this is about where I'm at with it so far. Eventually I'd like to learn the rest but the nice part about the first minute is despite some tricky 16th note lines it never breaks the speed barrier for what I'm comfortable with, but this is about where I max out so far I'd say.

Obviously lots of parts were challenging to learn but thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at this solo cause even if it doesn't come through on that take, I've learned a lot about the subtle or not so subtle ways that Greg will accent a note, or the way that he starts and finishes one. Lots of cool little slides and pre-bends for sure.

Oh and one last thing, sorry about the video quality, I have really tried my hand at a few different ways of recording but for videos like this that are basically works in progress, it's a lot of effort to try and sync audio and video and export a movie file. I'd rather be able to make them quick and actually interact more haha, so I'll keep working on the levels for recording through my phone and please bear with me haha smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 27 2019, 09:32 PM
GMC Founder
Wow very nice! I feel like learning this myself now, as it's probably one of my all time fav fusion jams!

As you said you do this really well. The improvements would be vibrato as described above and a bit clearer articulation.

Timing of many of these licks are floating and seem very difficult to nail - so well done again with that! 👌

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:46 AM