Right Hand (rhythm )
ruben_mcn
Feb 24 2010, 06:05 PM
Learning Roadie
So the time has come for me to practice right hand / rythm guitar ... has anyone got any tips on how to practice it ?? or some nice lessons at gmc ( I´m havin a look at Marcus´s " Basic Metal Rhythm" and " Metal rhythm right hand work out" ) or maybe some nice metal songs that can help me improve my rythm ...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Feb 25 2010, 11:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
superize
Feb 24 2010, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
You say you want to imrpov right hand....

Might i suggest looking at some Blind Guardian and Iced Earth songs

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Feb 24 2010, 06:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks suprize .. Do you know any nice blind guardian song to practice right hand ????

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Feb 24 2010, 07:00 PM
Instructor
hey ruben, check out my instructor profile, almost all my lessons are rhythmic oriented, it's not metal, but i think the real deal on rhythmic is not on metal tongue.gif, but on funk, blues, jazz smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2010, 07:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Check out this lesson series from Joe Kataldo :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...guitar1-drop-d/ + all the related ones!

They are very useful for developing right hand rhythm ! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 24 2010, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Feb 24 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Thanks suprize .. Do you know any nice blind guardian song to practice right hand ????

Mirror mirror is a good one

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 24 2010, 11:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ruben,man as you know there's really a LOT of lessons on riffs/rhyhtm on gmc, so the confusion is understandable.. Since you've mentioned metal, I'd say narrow it down to the style you like and then do the lesson .. in the style of etc ... I did Anthrax style from Lian and quite enjoyed it along with some Gabriel's riffs lessons. Even the Iron Maiden masterclass sounded awesome

AND to mix the practice up with some songs, once again go to the songs or artists you like and start learning their songs. Back in the day, I was addicted to thrash metal, so I learnt most of my rhythm work by playing old metallica, sepultura, slayer and megadeth songs. Most of those songs are classics. You dont have to learn entire songs (although good) but just pick various riffs form them and incorporate them in your routine. You can infact pick the songs that are already on gmc, like creeping death by metallica can prove to be a killer right hand workout. But choose your fav the style first or you'll get bored.

I dont know how comfortable you are with riffs already.. If you can tell me that, I can recommend some tracks and some particular riffs in those tracks which would make great exercises... in order of difficulty.

But as always, slow it down and make love to the beat and timing (Ok, that didnt come out right laugh.gif ) .. Rhythm is all about being on time and listening to the drummer VERY carefully.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 25 2010, 12:43 AM
Instructor
You can check out Lian's rhythm lessons, they are very good.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Feb 25 2010, 12:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks guys i will check every thing out ..

To Zen :

to describe my level at right hand ryhtm i would say i´m like a bigginer / medium player for intance in the song creeping death by metallica i can´t play it cause its a bit too fast for my hand :S I can play master of puppets intro (badlly cause its too fast ) ... can you recoment me some songs like thouse but just a bit easier ?? (doesen´t have to be from metallica; i like classic metal , 80´s , 90´s stuff )

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Feb 25 2010, 12:55 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 25 2010, 12:53 AM
Instructor
Don't worry, rhythm technique is like any other - the more you practice, the better it will get, no less then other techniques on guitar. Couple of months and you will be tight as lightning smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Feb 25 2010, 01:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Ivan hope you are right smile.gif

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 25 2010, 01:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sure man. As Ivan mentioned, If it's fast, slow it down and practise it on the metronome, that fact applies everywhere as you know and sortta gets irritating but its true .. .. Yes, the riff will probably sound CRAP at slow speed but if you stick to it and endure the pain, it will shine through in your final take smile.gif

The simplest song that i can think of to start dveloping consistency without complicating riffs is Paranoid. You can try Sabbath or Megadeth's version. I used to do the Megadeth's version. It has simple down strokes and the focus of exercise should be to keep the riff consistent throughout the song and work on finding the best sound when you're palm muting.. Not too much pressure but not too light either. Also paying attention to the pick angle (slightly angled). Since the riff is easy, you get to sharpen those aspects of playing.

Next try Sad but true (metallica). Its here on GMC. It has simple riff and not fast at all.
Next try legendary gallop riffs from maiden .. they are not that fast and a must know for every guitarist smile.gif .. in my opinion
Next try .. seek and destroy (metallica) .. It has some great riffs on an excellent consistent beat ..and once again, not that fast. (most of it)

Once you get comfortable with slow-medium riffs, then look at more power metal, or speed riffs, that need fast alt picking. The legendary track Whiplash (metallica) is a great example of this. Damn, it's turning into an old school metallica post.. laugh.gif

Dont just stick to metal.. explore more (wish i had done that) .. bands like foo fighters etc have some groovy rhythm's and chops ..

Sorry, I can only share the bands and tracks that helped me in the past. And they are quite outdated now tongue.gif .. There are heaps of approaches to learning this. You gotta find what works best for you to keep you interested. But definitely incorporate various styles of riffs in your practice routine on a metronome or on a simple drumbeat.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more ..

This post has been edited by zen: Feb 25 2010, 01:49 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Feb 25 2010, 01:54 AM
Learning Roadie
wow smile.gif thanks a lot zen this is really helpfull ... i´ll try your "plan " .. Paranoid here i come =)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 8 2010, 05:29 PM
Instructor
you must be able to play "master of puppets" "battery" by Metallica....master these two!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 6 2010, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
master of puppets is way too fast for me IF i want to play w/ only downstrcks.. but thanks for the suggestions

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:26 PM