What Do You Recommend?
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 04:17 AM
GMC:er
Hello Everyone
I have been playing guitar for alittle over 10 years now.I love playing shred and metal style guitar ,also acoustic and other rock but mainly i am a lead guitaristI spent more than half of the 10 years i have been playing learning rythem guitar from bands like Metallica,Megadeth,Pantera ect.I really have devoted the last couple of years to shred and lead guitar playing as i kind of got bored playing ryhtem.I used to jam in a band before i got married and with friends.Now it's just me all the time playing by myself.I'm looking for some new gear to get me excited again about playing.What im refuring to is recording and drum machine type stuff that i can basically make all music parts myself.I used to have a fostex 4 track recorder.It was bottom line and sounded horrible.I need something i can layer my guitar parts on that doesnt sacrifice my sound while being very easy on my wallet.I'm interested to hear what you may use and how it works for you.I have a really good up=to date computer that can handle software but dont have any experience playing my guitar through computer.Give me your opinion and tell me alittle about yourself and your playing style. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 4 2007, 04:31 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 3 2007, 11:17 PM) *
Hello Everyone
I have been playing guitar for alittle over 10 years now.I love playing shred and metal style guitar ,also acoustic and other rock but mainly i am a lead guitaristI spent more than half of the 10 years i have been playing learning rythem guitar from bands like Metallica,Megadeth,Pantera ect.I really have devoted the last couple of years to shred and lead guitar playing as i kind of got bored playing ryhtem.I used to jam in a band before i got married and with friends.Now it's just me all the time playing by myself.I'm looking for some new gear to get me excited again about playing.What im refuring to is recording and drum machine type stuff that i can basically make all music parts myself.I used to have a fostex 4 track recorder.It was bottom line and sounded horrible.I need something i can layer my guitar parts on that doesnt sacrifice my sound while being very easy on my wallet.I'm interested to hear what you may use and how it works for you.I have a really good up=to date computer that can handle software but dont have any experience playing my guitar through computer.Give me your opinion and tell me alittle about yourself and your playing style. smile.gif

Hi shredman - sounds like you need a decent auidio interface and some sequencing software - I'd go into details but I am typing this in my phone. I'm sure you'll get a lot of response to this question bug if you dont, PM me and I'll try and help you out with some possibilities smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 3 2007, 11:31 PM) *
Hi shredman - sounds like you need a decent auidio interface and some sequencing software - I'd go into details but I am typing this in my phone. I'm sure you'll get a lot of response to this question bug if you dont, PM me and I'll try and help you out with some possibilities smile.gif

actually your the only one so far sad.gif

thanks

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 4 2007, 12:07 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Shredman,
first decision to make for recording is whether you want to be computer based or hardware portastudio type based. Both have pluses and minuses, as ever! Pretty similar decision for the drum machine as well - hardware or software. Many people seem to favour software for recording but I think its more of an even split for the drums.

For software recording - I'm assuming its a pc rather than a Mac. Reaper is a great sequencer (multi track studio) and is shareware. You can download a full unrestricted demo from the Cuckos site (link is in the stickie at the top). If you want to go with commercial sequencing then the major ones tend to be Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Live!, Sequoia, and more MAC - ProTools, Digital Performer, Logic. Very high end and you are in to stuff like full SADIE implemented studio software/hardware and the like.

Generally commercial sequencers cost more as you add bells and whistles. Most of these do 'lite' versions that have been limited to, say, 32 channel recording and come without 7.1 surround sound recording, 96 rather than 192 floating point and 24 rather than 32 bit recording, and fewer virtual instruments and effects. Once you decide which sequencer you want then its time to look at the feature sets of the different version and decide what you really need and what would just be nice to have...

With any of these I'd advice you to try them as a demo before making a decision as they are all capable of doing what you want. As such it often now comes down to what works best for you, what you find the most intuitive and straight forward to use. One thing - Sonar is arguably more the big name sequencer in the US and Cubase in Europe. Sonar (in Europe) is cheaper to buy than Cubase and if you have a fully implemented X64 bit computer is encoded for that - Cubase is 32 bit.

For hardware recording - again the technology has moved on from the old 4 track porta. I'm not up to speed on this but I think you can now get multi-track portas that range from 16-48 track, have dsp effects and can render and burn to cd and use harddisc for storage. Usual bit - generally more tracks = higher cost. Some big names here are Tascam, Korg, Roland (no change there then).

Most drum software is sample based. Here you either build up the drum pattern or use pre-recorded loops. Building up a drum patch with a mouse is - to me - a pain and not an intuitive front end and so I end up using a mididrum pad as the trigger for the software. This is sort of like a traditional drum machine (although I'd say it was more clumsy). With loops you choose libraries of drum sounds/kits you like and then mix and edit the loops and I think most people go this route now (most of the drum software discussed elsewhere on the forum is this type). There are still some hardware based drum machines on the market but I really don't know much about them.

What's is best for you? I'd say you need to try out some of the free demos to see what is good for your workflow and if you can go into a good music store and get them to demo and talk to you about the options.

One final bit - home studios are a bottomless pit (or so my wife keeps telling me) that will suck up all your spare cash and time. But its great fun biggrin.gif .

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 4 2007, 12:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'll keep it short, free when possible but invest where it really pays off.

Sequencer - Reaper (free if you like)
I can recommend my Guitarport, cheaper than a POD and it's functional and easy to use.
For drums I suggest you invest in EZdrummer or Addictive drums. A great drum pattern makes a good song so it's well spent money.

Bass. Two options, either get a bass VST plug in that does the job. You'd need a keyboard too. Second option is to get a bass and record your playing through the guitar port. (GP also connects with a mike if you want to do vocals)

Investments:
Drum plug in
Guitar port
Bass plug in + keyboard or a bass.
Mike (if you want to sing)

EDIT: Reaper does manage EZ-drummer and Addictive drums, right?

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 4 2007, 12:43 PM

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 4 2007, 07:42 AM) *
I'll keep it short, free when possible but invest where it really pays off.

Sequencer - Reaper (free if you like)
I can recommend my Guitarport, cheaper than a POD and it's functional and easy to use.
For drums I suggest you invest in EZdrummer or Addictive drums. A great drum pattern makes a good song so it's well spent money.

Bass. Two options, either get a bass VST plug in that does the job. You'd need a keyboard too. Second option is to get a bass and record your playing through the guitar port. (GP also connects with a mike if you want to do vocals)

Investments:
Drum plug in
Guitar port
Bass plug in + keyboard or a bass.
Mike (if you want to sing)
EDIT: Reaper does manage EZ-drummer and Addictive drums, right?

Does the reaper or ezdrummer already have drum riffs you can jam to or do you have to make them from scratch?BTW thanks tonymiro and mike for your advice its really helpful smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 4 2007, 11:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 5 2007, 12:12 AM) *
Does the reaper or ezdrummer already have drum riffs you can jam to or do you have to make them from scratch?BTW thanks tonymiro and mike for your advice its really helpful smile.gif

I don't use Reaper myself so I can't say anything about it, I've tried recording and it seems pretty straight forward.
EZ-drummer has many different drum patterns. You can just select a pattern, paste in into your sequencer, extend it to say 3 bars, then add a fill on the 4'th. Set Reaper to loop these 4 bars and you can jam.
Or just select a pattern from the EZ-drummer plug in (sequencer must be started) and play along to that.

EZ drummer comes with a rock set of patterns. Then you have to buy the add ons for metal, vointage rock, latino etc. You should look to see what Addictive drums got to start with. It'a little more expensive but concider what you need between the two of them.

Both programs have their patterns recorded from live drummers. Real high quality sound from EZ drummer and I guess from Addicted drums aswell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:29 AM