2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Advice With V-picks
Vaidya
Aug 18 2010, 04:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys
I've heard a lot about these V-Picks and I would like to try them out myself but im not sure which ones to choose.Im confused with the different sizes and stuff.Currently I use Jim Dunlop Jazz IIIs and the 1mm Stubby.I find them the perfect size.The problem with the Jazz IIIs for me is that they dont give me perfect grip.The 1 mm Stubby solves the problem with its textured portion in the centre but i find it a little thin.
So im looking for something which is similar in size,has a bit of thickness and good grip.What picks do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Vaidya

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vaidya: Aug 18 2010, 04:05 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 18 2010, 04:21 AM
GMC:er
I would suggest the Jim Dunlop Jazz III XL picks, those are nice to play with and one of my favs. V-Picks are great and all but I still come back and use this pick.

V-Pick have a softer touch, varies tone changes. The best thing about the V-Pick is the grip, they cling to the fingers. You can really relax your hand most and play at greater speed.

There is the small pointed V-Pick which is a 'replacement' pick for people that like the normal Dunlop Jazz IIIs, it's a bit bigger but similar.

The V-Pick Shredder is my fav for practicing speed. It's a great sharp 3 edge pointed pick, very slight movement require to get your speed up. Really helped with working out speed techniques, but I don't use it for regular playing.

The V-Pick Screamer is my fav play around pick. It's fun to use, fat and can really dig in. Takes some time to get use to, but like a big fat Stubby with better grip.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 18 2010, 04:24 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Aug 18 2010, 04:36 AM
Learning Roadie
I used to play with Jazz III XLs but then I was introduced to the normal ones and stuck to them.I have some more questions.Is there a lot of difference in size between the Small pointed and the normal Jazz III?How thick is the small pointed?
How big is the Shredder compared to Jazz IIIs? Im looking for a pick which is good for speed and sweep picking but at the same time it shouldn't be too big.I've become so used to the jazz IIIs that anything bigger than them just feels uncomfortable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 18 2010, 06:23 AM
I guess you love the small picks then.
V-pick easily outclasses the stubby simply because it feels better and has better grip. However almost all of them are big, fat picks.

V-Pick Small pointed VS normal Jazz III

V-Pick Small pointed cut off the high end a bit but have more bass and fatter tone.
Sizing up at a deep 2.75 mm with a long beveled edge, this pick is the closest to the Jazz III style guitar picks. This is bigger than a Jazz III, more rounder, about the same size and a coin. Note there are other sizes...

The V-Pick Ultra Lite Small comes in at .80 mm, making it smaller than your standard Jazz III pick, almost no beveled edge, sharp and angry sounding.

V-Pick Lite Small. At 1.5 mm, is a combination of the two above. I think this is the same size as a standard Jazz III?

As for the shredder, it's a triangle with three beveled edges, bigger than a standard pick, wierd at first (depending how you hold it can feel like its poking you with the other edges) but if you play holding the pick vertical rather than horizontal to the strings and get use to it, very fast, loose hold and relaxed. I use to play slowly flat picking (bad habit with moving fingers), this has helped me develop correct picking as well as an angle of attack and improved speed. I would recommend it only for practice picking or if your a shredder. It owns at pick sweeping! I couldn't sweep before, until i got this.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 18 2010, 06:36 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Aug 18 2010, 07:07 AM
I just recently got my first V-picks delivered. As I also used to play the Dunlop Jazz III I chose the "Red Fab 4" pack for starters.
You get different sizes in that pack so you know what you like and where to go from there. I think that nothing or no one can really EXPLAIN the difference - you have to check out for yourself.

As for now (using them for 5 days or so) they are fun to play with, BUT the so often praised thickness and beveled edge of the pick is giving me much more string noise than I had with the Jazz III. huh.gif
This of course happens mainly with lead/distortion sounds but nevertheless.

Any similar experiences? Do I have to change the way I use my picks or is it just the way it is?

Cheers

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 18 2010, 01:39 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Aug 18 2010, 01:07 AM) *
I just recently got my first V-picks delivered. As I also used to play the Dunlop Jazz III I chose the "Red Fab 4" pack for starters.
You get different sizes in that pack so you know what you like and where to go from there. I think that nothing or no one can really EXPLAIN the difference - you have to check out for yourself.

As for now (using them for 5 days or so) they are fun to play with, BUT the so often praised thickness and beveled edge of the pick is giving me much more string noise than I had with the Jazz III. huh.gif
This of course happens mainly with lead/distortion sounds but nevertheless.

Any similar experiences? Do I have to change the way I use my picks or is it just the way it is?

Cheers

Well, every pick is going to make some sort of sound. Regular picks tend to make a scrape sound. You are probably referring to chirp sound from the V-Picks. It is just the way it sounds. I got used to it and it sounds great to me. That acrylic material is just that way. I actually like the chirp. You know, you can tap the strings with the pick at the pickups and get some really weird chirp sounds. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Aug 18 2010, 02:20 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 18 2010, 02:39 PM) *
Well, every pick is going to make some sort of sound. Regular picks tend to make a scrape sound. You are probably referring to chirp sound from the V-Picks. It is just the way it sounds. I got used to it and it sounds great to me. That acrylic material is just that way. I actually like the chirp. You know, you can tap the strings with the pick at the pickups and get some really weird chirp sounds. smile.gif

I see - thanks for your answer!
It is good to know that I didn´t do something horribly wrong! laugh.gif
Let´s see if I learn to like the "chirp" - great and very correct word for it!

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 18 2010, 08:09 PM
The attack angle you pick on with V-Picks makes a huge difference to the sounding tone and 'chirp'. Depending on the V-Pick some change completely when you angle downwards (vertical) rather than horizontal. Also you need to use a lot less pick tip on most, for example the shredder, else you will hear about it! If it doesn't sound good to your ear, play around with the angle and try use less pick tip. I think this is helpful to learn to pick fast because it reminds me as soon as I move the pick too far in, or twist, etc. Good learning tool for me to iron out some bad habits.

Some let you really dig into it for a bassy, louder sound or a squeal of harmonics (hard to get use to at first). Some V-Picks I dislike, but found out it's good played in a different style. It really depends on your style of playing to what one matchs you best!

As Brandon said it also has a chrip which is different from other picks due to material, but it shouldn't get in the way too much.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 18 2010, 08:31 PM
Technically, if you're getting the "chirp" then you are supposedly "doing it wrong" according to Vinnie. That said, I absolutely love the v-picks that I've tried so far. They do make some thin/small picks as well but you'll get less of the v-pick advantages from using those.

Closest match to the Jazz III / stubby (I used those same two picks before switching to v-pick) is the "small pointed" that Azzaboi mentioned above. What I prefer now even MORE than those is one of the premium picks. The snake. Same basic concept but much much thicker and comfortable to hold without needing to squeeze too tightly. Amazing tone due to the mass of the thing, too.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 18 2010, 10:25 PM
maybe get the $19.95 starter kit. That is $8 less than the individual picks in the package. I think all you are missing in that package, would be the snake or diamond (similar, the diamond is a little smaller than the snake). I get the package now, and then would wait till one of those more expensive picks goes on sale, and probably look at the pointed variety (although I have the regular more rounded as well as some pointed of this these expensive types).

Part of what makes a V pick special is the fact that it is not flexible. That and the material they are made of, and the design of the edge/point. They are very consistent, all the picks I have had of any one type have been identical. They also have thin flexible picks, but I think even they feel that those are just to meet a demand, it is the stiff V picks that are really their claim to fame. I like them, although I still use my traditional pick as well, at least at the moment. My favorites are the screamer or medium pointed, or pointed Diamond.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 18 2010, 10:30 PM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 19 2010, 12:47 AM
The Snake was on special last month, I got that for my birthday...
Along with that I got the Screamer (alot like a slightly smaller version of the snake, I actually perfer it)
A shredder v-pick, awesome speed, love it (like fkalich said if it making too much pick noises your doing it wrong, so it helps me a lot)
Small Pointed, quite nice if your into the Jazz III picks, but I still perfer Jazz III XL over it.
They also threw in a freebee Medium Rounder, I perfer pointed picks but it's nice for strumming.

I use the Screamer and Shredder the most.
Jazz III XL and sometimes Small Pointed for everything else.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 19 2010, 12:51 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Aug 19 2010, 07:51 AM
Arghhh - I just knew it! Chirp = bad, wrong picking technique.

I will try to get rid of it.....if not I get rid of the picks and stay with my trusty Jazz III. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Berglmir: Aug 19 2010, 08:35 AM

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 19 2010, 09:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
The chirp doesnt have to be bad, but it can be annoying in a recording session smile.gif
I loved the diamond, it feels really well and natural. Never have my hand felt that good while playing, and being so thick and relaxing, you will play much faster and precise. But they wear out WAY too fast for me. The sharp tip wears out in a few hours, and then it gets pretty worse for the next week, and then I have to sharp it with a knife. And it doesnt take too much more until the pick is useless tongue.gif I loved my V picks for the first couple of months though, but its over now. I knew it had to be over when I had one V-Pick left, and I didnt dare use it as it might wear out from my playing that day, and then I wouldn't have one. tongue.gif

Talked to Red Bear about their picks, and I hopefully the ones I have ordered will suit my needs. So maybye you can keep their compani in mind also, if you are having doubts with V Picks smile.gif

About what picks to buy, as already mentioned, the most similar to the Jazz 3 pick, is the Small pointed and the Small Lite. The Small lite is great, very similar to the jazz 3, doesnt bend etc. But the great things with V Picks is that they are thicker, which allows your grip to relax and the attention of the hand can be placed elsewhere, like picking. For that, you have the Small Pointed which is a bit bigger and quite a bit thicker. If you want thicker, the Diamond is a bit bigger again, and much thicker smile.gif
But of course, being made of acrylic material, they will always make more pick sound than other picks, and acrylic is a soft material, so they will wear out fast, especially when using thicker strings.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Aug 19 2010, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Aug 19 2010, 09:46 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 19 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Talked to Red Bear about their picks, and I hopefully the ones I have ordered will suit my needs. So maybye you can keep their compani in mind also, if you are having doubts with V Picks smile.gif

Thanks for the hint (just checking them out) and for taking the time to put all your experiences with those picks into words - really appreciate that!
I might also look into the stone picks Marcus uses and just recently I discovered picks made out of carbon.
I´ll let you know when I find MY perfect pick. wink.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 19 2010, 10:03 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 19 2010, 03:00 AM) *
play much faster and precise. But they wear out WAY too fast for me. The sharp tip wears out in a few hours, and then it gets pretty worse for the next week, and then I have to sharp it with a knife. And it doesnt take too much more until the pick is useless tongue.gif I loved my V picks for

I have not experienced this at all. They last a long time for me.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 19 2010, 10:11 AM

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 19 2010, 10:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, of course it is a very individual thing, and as someone said previously, they react different with sound, feel, wear, etc with the way you hold the pick. I do play metal, but most wear I got was from solo playing. Its just the way I pick, but I never had such wear problems with any picks. I think they are fantastic picks, but I need picks that lasts longer for me. smile.gif

Of course I have read up on it, and talked to Vinnie about it, but there isnt much to do except sharpening it and changing pick style.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Aug 19 2010, 10:09 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 19 2010, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 19 2010, 04:07 AM) *
Yeah, of course it is a very individual thing, and as someone said previously, they react different with sound, feel, wear, etc with the way you hold the pick. I do play metal, but most wear I got was from solo playing. Its just the way I pick, but I never had such wear problems with any picks. I think they are fantastic picks, but I need picks that lasts longer for me. smile.gif

Of course I have read up on it, and talked to Vinnie about it, but there isnt much to do except sharpening it and changing pick style.

I edited mine, when I figured I was hypothesizing some, and it was better to just say at that point, that they last for me. However I was right, I figured you played metal. And watching a lot of guys play metal, I can imagine that they would wear them down. The V picks that most use are not flexible, and metal wound strings will win the contest when push comes to shove. Actually watching Vinnie, well his style of play is nothing like mine, in how he strikes the string. I believe it a grazing strike, as much of a graze as possible, at velocity, and a light relaxed touch. At least that is what I try to do. When I saw Vinnie play, he seemed to dig to me. I think that I like his picks for reasons different than he might. However I still use my old picks as well, those are the Dunlop with the alligator on them, 1.5, or these Cool Phat Cats with the cat tongue grip, also generally 1.5. I just grab the type I feel like using at the time.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 19 2010, 12:39 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Aug 18 2010, 08:20 AM) *
I see - thanks for your answer!
It is good to know that I didn´t do something horribly wrong! laugh.gif
Let´s see if I learn to like the "chirp" - great and very correct word for it!

smile.gif

Thanks, but it's not my word to be honest. It's Mr. Vinni's, who made the picks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 19 2010, 03:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I agree with Sollesnes - I love them, but they wear out MUCH too quickly in my opinion. If you use them for songs with lots of strumming and chords they last a few hours, and the tip is gone. Soloing, and single string picking doesn't seem to be a problem.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Aug 19 2010, 03:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
They were wearing out to quick for me and I was not willing to pay so much for such product.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:18 AM