2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bending To Pitch
liveOASISforever
Mar 23 2013, 12:49 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone

I am looking for advice on bending to pitch. I normally practice with my headstock tuner on and just target a semi and full tone bends. I try to listen to the sound of the note for a couple of minutes and then I try the bends without looking at the tuner and when I think I am at the correct pitch I look at the tuner to see if am there. I find that I am quite close most of the time but I'm not as accurate as I would like to be.

Is it just a matter of developing my ear more.

Cheers Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Mar 23 2013, 01:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Can you hear a difference between when you think you are in tune, and when your tuner is?
If you can hear a difference, then your ear is fine, and you just need to listen closely when you're bending. Practice makes perfect. I am fairly sure you can hear a difference if you try.
If not, and you were fairy close to being in pitch, then why would anyone else? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Mar 23 2013, 01:18 PM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 23 2013, 01:16 PM
Hi mate

Yeah a can hear the difference. Its annoying when am practicing a lesson and a bend comes and I don't get the pitch right . I can hear straight away that I messed it up

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Mar 23 2013, 01:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Then in the lessons you're practicing, know the sound you want before you start bending. Stop when you're there, and keep practicing. Good luck smile.gif Hearing it in key is much better than just aiming for the magic tuner numbers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Mar 23 2013, 01:21 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2013, 01:41 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Try doing musical exercises for bending.

The video parts 6 to 9 in this lesson feature some very useful bending exercises : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bending-Ballad/

The more you practice it, the more accurate you will be when performing bends in the lessons. The movement and pitch recognition will come internalized. Also, don't forget to practice bending on different positions on the neck - the tension will be different and require less or more strength to get to the pitch.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 23 2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks Bogdan I will work on those exercises.

+Quote Post
Jouve
Mar 23 2013, 04:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gabriel for sharing this wonderful lesson.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2013, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jouve @ Mar 23 2013, 12:13 PM) *
Thanks Gabriel for sharing this wonderful lesson.

heheh I was going to share this one! Well done Jouve!

Also check this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...String-Bending/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 23 2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone

My fingers can't take much more of string bending tonight lol

I actually feel as if I have got better already after Bear Rose lesson. I am going to focus a lot more on string bending in my practice routine.

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
leonard478
Mar 23 2013, 11:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
What worked for me was learning blues or rock tunes/solos that had a lot of bends in them (Hotel california for example)
Anything Hendrix Or Gary Moore will work great too!, eventually you will get very strong and comfortable with bends smile.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 23 2013, 09:59 PM) *
Thanks everyone

My fingers can't take much more of string bending tonight lol

I actually feel as if I have got better already after Bear Rose lesson. I am going to focus a lot more on string bending in my practice routine.

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 25 2013, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Don't worry friend...ear training takes time even if You are already gifted in this case smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Mar 25 2013, 11:19 AM

+Quote Post
osiris
Mar 25 2013, 01:21 PM
When practicing bends I often alternate bending and then fretting one or two frets up the neck (depending on half or whole bend) for reference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bossie
Mar 25 2013, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (osiris @ Mar 25 2013, 01:21 PM) *
When practicing bends I often alternate bending and then fretting one or two frets up the neck (depending on half or whole bend) for reference.

Ofcours ...that's the best way for bending and getting free ear training lessons ...!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2013, 04:54 PM
Instructor
...and a little exercise smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 26 2013, 05:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That's a really cool exercise Cosmin!

For me personally, initially it was all about getting the bend to the correct pitch and the pitch is what kept all of my attention. As time has gone by I realize now that I'm really not even listening to the pitch of my bends anymore as much as I use my muscle memory to get to specific "points" depending on how many steps I need to bend (1-3).

I know if I'm playing on the G string, second fret, how much tension I need to use to get that A up to the B. Same goes for further up the neck where much less tension is required. I guess I kind of use the pitch to fine tune once my muscle memory get's me there but I don't rely on it for the majority of the bend.

Not sure if that's actually a proper way to go about it but it's the method my mind came up with on it's own. Whatever method guitarists use, this exercise is great for both aspects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2013, 09:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Mar 26 2013, 04:23 PM) *
That's a really cool exercise Cosmin!

For me personally, initially it was all about getting the bend to the correct pitch and the pitch is what kept all of my attention. As time has gone by I realize now that I'm really not even listening to the pitch of my bends anymore as much as I use my muscle memory to get to specific "points" depending on how many steps I need to bend (1-3).

I know if I'm playing on the G string, second fret, how much tension I need to use to get that A up to the B. Same goes for further up the neck where much less tension is required. I guess I kind of use the pitch to fine tune once my muscle memory get's me there but I don't rely on it for the majority of the bend.

Not sure if that's actually a proper way to go about it but it's the method my mind came up with on it's own. Whatever method guitarists use, this exercise is great for both aspects.

Indeed, some of my bends are instinctively done without any thinking but that's the whole magic, doing it and not thinking about it as you do it, right? It should become a reflex, I think!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 27 2013, 10:03 AM
Learning Roadie
As I'm getting more and more into the country guitar style getting the pitch and execution of bends spot on is a big part of my practice especially with double stop bends, making sure the bent note goes to pitch and the other note doesn't waver or even harder is the ones where one string is bent a tone and the other a half tone. Yikes, strength and control is needed

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2013, 12:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 27 2013, 09:03 AM) *
As I'm getting more and more into the country guitar style getting the pitch and execution of bends spot on is a big part of my practice especially with double stop bends, making sure the bent note goes to pitch and the other note doesn't waver or even harder is the ones where one string is bent a tone and the other a half tone. Yikes, strength and control is needed

Yes indeed! I totally recommend a DVD with Jerry Donahue's techniques - it's quite old I think, but man, does that guy play this sort of stuff...

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 27 2013, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2013, 03:54 PM) *
...and a little exercise smile.gif

Thanks for the exercise video Cosmin. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Always a pleasure! It would be great if you could shoot a video showcasing some of the exercises you are studying for bending and share them with all of us smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 AM