Help Moving From Scale To Scale
Da^Jabbster
Mar 25 2007, 11:27 AM
GMC:er
sorry about posting this but im a little cofused about shifting to the root notes!
ok say i want to play A minor box 2 then i want to move/slide to box 1 A minor do i have to move/slide to a root note or can i move/slide to a fret that has a root note on mmm as you can see the box below that kris put on when your descending he slides from fret 9 not a root note! on the g string to fret 7 not a root note! BUT HAS A ROOT NOTE ON THE FRET o0.
anyways be very grateful if you could help thx blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

[Box2--------][Box1]
e|-10-8----------------|
b|------10-8-----------|
g|-----------9\7-------|
d|---------------------|
a|---------------------|
e|---------------------|

[Box1--------][Box2]
e|------------------|
b|------------------|
g|------------------|
d|---------5-7/10---|
a|-----5-7----------|
e|-5-8--------------|

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Mar 25 2007, 12:35 PM
no rules!
i dont see why you should land on a root note mayb for an ending lick?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Da^Jabbster
Mar 25 2007, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Mar 25 2007, 12:35 PM) *
no rules!
i dont see why you should land on a root note mayb for an ending lick?

thanks mate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 25 2007, 02:41 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Da^Jabbster @ Mar 25 2007, 06:27 AM) *
sorry about posting this but im a little cofused about shifting to the root notes!
ok say i want to play A minor box 2 then i want to move/slide to box 1 A minor do i have to move/slide to a root note or can i move/slide to a fret that has a root note on mmm as you can see the box below that kris put on when your descending he slides from fret 9 not a root note! on the g string to fret 7 not a root note! BUT HAS A ROOT NOTE ON THE FRET o0.
anyways be very grateful if you could help thx blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

[Box2--------][Box1]
e|-10-8----------------|
b|------10-8-----------|
g|-----------9\7-------|
d|---------------------|
a|---------------------|
e|---------------------|

[Box1--------][Box2]
e|------------------|
b|------------------|
g|------------------|
d|---------5-7/10---|
a|-----5-7----------|
e|-5-8--------------|

You use the root notes to orient yourself, but there is no rule that says you have to play them in every box, or even that you EVER have to play them smile.gif As long as you know where they are , you know where you are within the scale when you move around, and you just play the notes you need to get the tune or effect that you want.

The key in sliding is that you position one of your fingers, any one, on the correct string and fret for the new box, and that you know the new box well enough to sort of switch in your mind to that box, knowing what part of the new box your finger is now in. From that point on you carry on playing in the new box.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 25 2007, 02:44 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 25 2007, 02:47 PM
I never really think about landing on the root notes, not when changing scale box atleast.

+Quote Post
Da^Jabbster
Mar 25 2007, 03:18 PM
thanks guys really helped

beers all around biggrin.gif

gotta love this site laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
stratman33
Mar 25 2007, 04:43 PM
my lil bro(only been playin for 2 weeks), wants to know what a root note is.can you tell him?i dont have time, i have to leave for baseball.he uses this account also, so please tell him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 25 2007, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Mar 25 2007, 11:43 AM) *
my lil bro(only been playin for 2 weeks), wants to know what a root note is.can you tell him?i dont have time, i have to leave for baseball.he uses this account also, so please tell him.

Hi to stratmans bro!

A root note is the first note in a scale, the note it is named for. So in a scale of C, the root note is C, in a scale of A minor, the root note is A - its as simple as that!

I'll be posting a lesson on this soon!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Da^Jabbster
Mar 26 2007, 12:37 PM
hi again biggrin.gif

so if there's 3 root notes in the same scale does it mean that they are all in the same key!
and there are just there for ascending + descending to a higher or lower key in that scale.
thx huh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 26 2007, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Da^Jabbster @ Mar 26 2007, 07:37 AM) *
hi again biggrin.gif

so if there's 3 root notes in the same scale does it mean that they are all in the same key!
and there are just there for ascending + descending to a higher or lower key in that scale.
thx huh.gif

Well, pretty much a scale IS a key ... the rule is, if you are playing in a scale, any notes in that scale belong in the key. It doesn;t matter which box of that scale you are in, any of those notes would fit. So when moving between boxes you can jump from any note in the first box to any note in the second - you need to decide which notes to jump to based on how easy it is to make the switch, and where the riff you are playing is actually going - there's no point in jumping boxes just for the hell of it, you need to be friven by the riff.

Hope that helps!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Da^Jabbster
Mar 26 2007, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 26 2007, 01:48 PM) *
Well, pretty much a scale IS a key ... the rule is, if you are playing in a scale, any notes in that scale belong in the key. It doesn;t matter which box of that scale you are in, any of those notes would fit. So when moving between boxes you can jump from any note in the first box to any note in the second - you need to decide which notes to jump to based on how easy it is to make the switch, and where the riff you are playing is actually going - there's no point in jumping boxes just for the hell of it, you need to be friven by the riff.

Hope that helps!

thx again andrew

top man rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:14 AM