4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Overrated Guitarists?
lefty01
Nov 5 2007, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 5 2007, 01:34 PM) *
to clear the kurt cobain thing up, im not saying he is overated because im comparing his technical ability to anything or anyone, im saying that, because out of all the credit he gets, i still find his music uninspiring and uncreative, and people (where i live) always hail him as some guitar god who changed the world.

That is because, he died young...same with Hendrix. I feel the same about Dimebag. He died in a very, very tragic way. Dime was a good player, but he (and the others), are worshiped, because they were taken away so early.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lefty01: Nov 5 2007, 07:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 5 2007, 08:56 PM
Instructor
Hahahaha that's why i stay out of topics like these laugh.gif laugh.gif Turns into a cat-fight! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 5 2007, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 5 2007, 12:56 PM) *
Hahahaha that's why i stay out of topics like these laugh.gif laugh.gif Turns into a cat-fight! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, that's very true...
And BTW, Kirk Hammett is way overrated too...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 5 2007, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 5 2007, 12:03 PM) *
Yeah, that's very true...
And BTW, Kirk Hammett is way overrated too...

Another Thing. I know its been mentioned but Herman and Sam from Dragonforce are a bad influence. They put their only good song "Through the Fire and Flames " on Guitar Hero 3 and made it look so hard. Which then makes anyone who has ever played guitar hero think that they are soooooooooo great. I hate guitar hero 3 and its another thing just like Rolling Stone. If guitar hero 3 was to make a valid choice for a last song on their stupid videogame it should be Tender Surrender. I hate when everyone thinks DragonForce is so amazing and I think they are wayyyyyyy overrated.

Slash- If theres anyone who doesnt deserve to be bagged on in this thread I think its Slash.
Songs like Sweet Child O Mine and Welcome to the Jungle made me love this guy. I dont quite understand what everyone has against him ? sad.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 5 2007, 09:43 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 5 2007, 07:56 PM) *

Yes this another one of those topics i choose to play safe on due to music being so very personal to each indididual smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Nov 5 2007, 09:47 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 5 2007, 06:06 PM) *
Jimi Hendrix

It's just that he's on top of almost every goddamn best guitarist list...
He may be the most influential guitarist of all time, but the best? Come on...

+1 wub.gif

But then again. There are so many really good guitarists that never "makes it", so maybe the influential bit is how we should judge them. Or maybe if they create great music, like White Stripes do.
To me it's the music they make that judges a musician. Hendrix fail there too.

QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 5 2007, 12:06 PM) *
Malmsteen! That guy has such a huge ego it makes me dislike all of his playing. I think he creates way to much hype for himself!

+1 to that too.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 5 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 5 2007, 12:34 PM) *
to clear the kurt cobain thing up, im not saying he is overated because im comparing his technical ability to anything or anyone, im saying that, because out of all the credit he gets, i still find his music uninspiring and uncreative, and people (where i live) always hail him as some guitar god who changed the world.

I give you crap because of your metal thing, but I know you are a smart guy Uncreator. One should not define best narrowly. A lot of things go into best, and some of them are hard to put your finger on.

edit: I take it back. I misread what you said. No, you are looking at this too narrowly. Dying early helps create the immortal marble man, but I know he was really popular before he died, that was a darn good band, may not be your taste, but that does not make him overrated.

Some very simple guitarists are quite good. Some extremely skilled ones are banal, boring.

edit: I am not saying Kurt was a simple guitarist. I was thinking more of Green Day, who did a lot of great stuff prior to the past few CD's, as a prime example. Kurt was more technically skilled than that, but mostly he had something, and it came though in his music. Hard to put your finger on it, but it was there.

You bring up something that i have noticed, living in a college town. Kids here tend to listen to 80's, even 70's music. It surprises me, but I hear it. I hear some new stuff, but seems like most of what I hear is older. Very little metal. And thank God, rap is finally headed to the grave, at least around here.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 5 2007, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 5 2007, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 5 2007, 03:48 PM) *
I give you crap because of your metal thing, but I know you are a smart guy Uncreator. One should not define best narrowly. A lot of things go into best, and some of them are hard to put your finger on.

edit: I take it back. I misread what you said. No, you are looking at this too narrowly. Dying early helps create the immortal marble man, but I know he was really popular before he died, that was a darn good band, may not be your taste, but that does not make him overrated.

Some very simple guitarists are quite good. Some extremely skilled ones are banal, boring.

edit: I am not saying Kurt was a simple guitarist. I was thinking more of Green Day, who did a lot of great stuff prior to the past few CD's, as a prime example. Kurt was more technically skilled than that, but mostly he had something, and it came though in his music. Hard to put your finger on it, but it was there.

You bring up something that i have noticed, living in a college town. Kids here tend to listen to 80's, even 70's music. It surprises me, but I hear it. I hear some new stuff, but seems like most of what I hear is older. Very little metal. And thank God, rap is finally headed to the grave, at least around here.

Well, we really cannot get into the "rap" thing. That is not music. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 12:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:12 PM) *
Well, we really cannot get into the "rap" thing. That is not music. tongue.gif

Finally another guy thinking like me! Thumbs up, man! smile.gif smile.gif cool.gif cool.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
ZeCoyote
Nov 6 2007, 01:34 AM
Are we talking about guitarists or musicians ?

If being the best guitarist is playing 64 notes per seconds with all sorts of technics, no thanks.

Kobain is certainly not the best guitarist but he was a true musician and artist. His melodies were so simple but so original. That's the signature of a great musician.

Everybody can play Kurt Cobain's riffs. But who can reinvent new riffs that stands the decades.

Same thing with Slash's bluesy solos and Knopfler except that the last is ALSO a virtuoso smile.gif

This post has been edited by ZeCoyote: Nov 6 2007, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 6 2007, 01:52 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 5 2007, 06:44 PM) *
Finally another guy thinking like me! Thumbs up, man! smile.gif smile.gif cool.gif cool.gif

Well, we do need to stick together. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 6 2007, 02:07 AM
I personally don't think Kurt Kobain, Matt Bellamy or Slash (etc) are overrated. Sure, they may not be Steve Vai or Rusty Cooley, but they can make their guitars sing (and that Kurt could do that with his technique amazing), and that's what music is about. I doubt that anybody thinks any of those are the technically best guitarists out there, but there might be a few who likes them a lot for their music. Because, in my opinion, it's not the technique that matters, it's how good it sounds, nothing else.

If I would choose someone to call overrated, I would pick a shredder like Rusty Cooley or someone like that, but I suppose that's because I don't understand their music, so I won't.

EDIT: Or well, since people are saying rap isn't music, I'll pick Rusty Cooley as the worst guitarist in the world, sounds like fun! Who's with me?! ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Nov 6 2007, 02:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Erik Johnson
Nov 6 2007, 02:33 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Nov 5 2007, 08:07 PM) *
I personally don't think Kurt Kobain, Matt Bellamy or Slash (etc) are overrated. Sure, they may not be Steve Vai or Rusty Cooley, but they can make their guitars sing (and that Kurt could do that with his technique amazing), and that's what music is about. I doubt that anybody thinks any of those are the technically best guitarists out there, but there might be a few who likes them a lot for their music. Because, in my opinion, it's not the technique that matters, it's how good it sounds, nothing else.

If I would choose someone to call overrated, I would pick a shredder like Rusty Cooley or someone like that, but I suppose that's because I don't understand their music, so I won't.

Slash is one of my favorite guitarists. It's not because he's an amazing player and super fast. I don't care how fast he can play. His riffs are amazing, even if they never change. Slash has a sound that almost can't be duplicated, and I think his blues-rock style is superb. I'd have to say Slash is overrated as the best guitarist ever, but he definately is top three if not the top in my eyes. He just has this amazing tone..

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Keep going everyone! I love debates.

// Erik

EDIT:
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 5 2007, 06:44 PM) *

Didn't see what was said about rap... I've gotta say that I agree. I just don't see rap as music. If it's just repeating drums and a guy talking, I just can't fathom it being music, sorry. blink.gif

This post has been edited by Erik Johnson: Nov 6 2007, 02:38 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
...you will have taken your very first steps towards Johnson land...

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Modified), Yamaha Pacifica (Black; modified with different humbuckers and a few other things)

Equipment: Vox DA5 Digital Amp (It's a little weak, but fun nonetheless), Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Wishlist: An Ibanez RG Model, and a yummy Pavel and Andrew Cockburn JEM.. Mmmm. I'd also love a Marshall Stack. That'd be awesome. :D

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 02:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Nov 6 2007, 02:07 AM) *
I'll pick Rusty Cooley as the worst guitarist in the world, sounds like fun!

If he's the worst than GMC should be closed long ago. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 6 2007, 02:38 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 5 2007, 04:14 AM) *
Slash (Sorry once again)

HOW DARE YOU????!!? mad.gif mad.gif

tongue.gif hehe,JK, Slash is overated as a guitar player. He is an awesome songwriter, though.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 02:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Erik Johnson @ Nov 6 2007, 02:33 AM) *
Didn't see what was said about rap... I've gotta say that I agree. I just don't see rap as music. If it's just repeating drums and a guy talking, I just can't fathom it being music, sorry. blink.gif

That's the interesting thing about it! You pointed it out. I'll just say it my way: when we listen to a guitarist - we always talk about some melody. I don't hear a melody in guy's talking, not because i am deaf, but because there is no melody. And music without melody just kinda can't exist, don't you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 6 2007, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 5 2007, 02:48 PM) *

WTF?! Man, where do you live? Can I come live with you?!!? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously... blink.gif

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 6 2007, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (Erik Johnson @ Nov 5 2007, 07:33 PM) *

I despise rap,hiphop, and any other kind of rap influenced music (Korn, Linkin Park,etc), but I don't think that it's not a type of music. Not trying to start an argument, thats just the way I see it tongue.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 6 2007, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Nov 6 2007, 02:07 AM) *
EDIT: Or well, since people are saying rap isn't music, I'll pick Rusty Cooley as the worst guitarist in the world, sounds like fun! Who's with me?! ph34r.gif

Thumbs up for that one.

+Quote Post
Erik Johnson
Nov 6 2007, 02:54 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 5 2007, 08:49 PM) *
... I don't think that it's not a type of music. Not trying to start an argument, thats just the way I see it tongue.gif

Well I agree with that also... it is a type of music, I guess, but I don't know.

I don't really see it as a classification of music.

There's music, poems, literature, and many other things, then there's rap. It's its own category in my eyes--even outside of music.

EDIT: Rusty Cooley.. hmm. I wonder about him. I don't like the fact that sometimes he's only about technique. I don't care if you can play something at 500 BPM that no one else can understand. I like flow and tone.

However my opinion on Cooley is completely biased, as I've only seen and heard him doing some rediculiously fast shred lick, nothing rhythm-based.

This post has been edited by Erik Johnson: Nov 6 2007, 02:58 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
...you will have taken your very first steps towards Johnson land...

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Modified), Yamaha Pacifica (Black; modified with different humbuckers and a few other things)

Equipment: Vox DA5 Digital Amp (It's a little weak, but fun nonetheless), Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Wishlist: An Ibanez RG Model, and a yummy Pavel and Andrew Cockburn JEM.. Mmmm. I'd also love a Marshall Stack. That'd be awesome. :D

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:25 PM