5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Wrk-organisedconfusion Mtp Sessions Thread
wrk
Jan 10 2009, 01:19 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Phrygian Lesson - Take #2

Bar 1-8 :
Nice, you integrated the slides (bar 1 and 2), bend is on pitch in my ears and legato at the end (bar 4). Great!
Bar 7 : the legato and bend is great. I really like the release of the bend !!

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 9 2009, 08:59 PM) *
.... The bends I really struggle with. I know what pitch I'm trying to get to but I can't seem to do them. I can tell you when they are off pitch but can't seem to get them on pitch.

Bends are a tricky thing. I am working on this a lot lately as well. I always thought it will just come over time, but i think i was wrong and it is really something to practice on. The problem with bends are, that you have to kind of feel in front how much you need to bend the string to reach the pitch. When you hear it, it can often be too late smile.gif.

Bar 9-13 :
Sounds already much more stable. Well done! Those or similar shapes you will find in a lot of solos. Keep those 3-String arpeggios in mind and come back to them from time to time. You can not practice them enough and over time it will sound more connected.

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 9 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Bar 9 to the end I wont lie is tricky to me. I can play it but it feels uncomfortable. It just feels like I'm doing something wrong. Something that doesn't affect me at slow tempos but you know when you know for sure that if you speed it up by 10 bpm say that your technique will be wrong for it and you'll have to change. Can you see from the video if something isn't right in that bit or is it just a case of practicing it over and over. I've only had an hour on this so far so I know I can improve greatly smile.gif

I can not see something wrong in your technic. Your right hand looks good for me. Your left hand as well. Only thing, i prefer to have the thumb a bit more behind the neck on parts like this (playing on higher strings), as my fingers are less curved then and it feels more "free" for me, but this is personal preference and both should work.
I ask me often the same question, fast picking is problem for me and i always doubt in my technic, but i do progress by doing a lot of workouts, so i'm afraid practicing is the only solution.

Overall, you could smooth this solo even more out if you try to keep your vibrato less nervous. I know to give advice about vibrato is like saying to someone "i don't like your accent" smile.gif, but maybe you know what i mean. You could use the first bars (1-8) to work on your vibrato. Bar 6 (end of bar 5) for example. The G note (12) is played three times, try to add some variations maybe. A nice developing vibrato can add something interesting here.

We dive already into details! Just keep those things in mind when you approach a solo. I think this is much more important (and fun) as to gain 10 bpm's smile.gif.

Strumming and Arpeggios - Take #1

You obviously played this lesson with ease and for sure you have a sense of rhythm. In my opinion this kind of chord play can be challenging if you really want to have it equally. For example when you record a song and need some soft background guitar.

What kind of recording gear you have? If you like and have the possibility, try to do a audio take (no video needed) and choose a super clean pop song sound, some chorus and a bit compression. The strings will become really sensitive and it will be difficult to play everything clean, equal and in balance. You can learn a lot from that about accuracy as you can hear every detail.

Let me know what you thing .. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by wrk: Jan 10 2009, 02:03 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 10 2009, 02:57 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the feedback Andy. I think the Phrygian sounds a lot smoother but like you say I really need to improve vibrato so I will try practicing the first 8 bars and focus on vibrato within them. Also will aim to get a recording of the legato workout at some time today and will try and record a small bit of clean strumming with maybe a clean solo with it in a kind of verse chorus solo layout.

Should those be my tasks today? I should be able to have a look at the alternate picking exercise also today smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 10 2009, 04:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I love to see you that motivated OC. I thought i gave you enough for the whole week and you put your daily tasks that high smile.gif and for sure i don't want to stop that!!
Just to follow a bit some guidlines and structure, i will more concentrated on the tasks of the weekly session and if you are faster will try to give you some extentions about the same topic if your are ok with that (?). But i will gladly try to help and give feedback on other things you practice on. smile.gif

Workouts
The drumloops are uploaded. I have added them on the top (session #1)
As it's part of the first session i really suggest you to use some time for these workouts. Your picking will become more controlled and your left hand more fluid over time. Even if it seems to be boring, it can be really fun after a while .. even addictive as soon you feel the first improvements. smile.gif

Phrygian:
Try to get as much out of it as you can. Take your time with vibrato and the other things you already integrated and if you see some improvement you can upload another take of course.

It's not a task, but a next step for you and good extension lesson could be Muris "Harmonic Minor for Beginner" lesson, which involves mainly the same technics. A lot of slides, bends and vibrato. Again with the goal to play it really smooth and connected. A bit more difficult as you have bends on the lower strings, but should be doable. There is a tapping part at the end, which is not complicated ..

Strumming and Arpeggios
Next week will be rhythm guitar time, but i will not choose this lesson as you already did it. So feel free to work on it and share takes. Play with sounds and try to keep it high polished pop clean laugh.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 10 2009, 04:54 PM
I will probably practice these 4 things for a while actually and maybe post on Monday my progress and hopefully it should be massively improved in all areas smile.gif If I get stuck I will post sooner of course. I'm just very keen to progress and use this time to really help me and also I really want you to get that Muris Mentorship as you deserve it. You're doing a great job so far and I'm very happy after just 24 hours smile.gif Your feedback is spot on and you bring up things that I didn't notice like the slide grace notes.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 11 2009, 12:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks OC, i'm glad that it was of help already.

If you continue like the last two days, i'm sure you will progress massively as you said smile.gif. Let me know whenever you need help.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 03:05 PM
Hey mate. Just to update you I've been practicing these lessons and workouts and it's going fairly well I think. I'm staying at a friends tonight but I'm free to play some guitar again tomorrow night and I will record an update video on where I'm at.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 12 2009, 03:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
So you have had a good practicing weekend ?

You once gave a good feedback about your difficulties concerning the phrygian lesson or solo in general. If you could give me similar feedback for the workouts as well could be helpful. Something like, you get tensed easily, or you miss attack in the middle finger, to keep all note constant ... stuff like that.

Thanks ... and have a nice evening tonight !

This post has been edited by wrk: Jan 12 2009, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 12 2009, 02:13 PM) *
So you have had a good practicing weekend ?

You once gave a good feedback about your difficulties concerning the phrygian lesson or solo in general. If you could give me similar feedback for the workouts as well could be helpful. Something like, you get tensed easily, or you miss attack in the middle finger, to keep all note constant ... stuff like that.

Thanks ... and have a nice evening tonight !

I will mention that when I post video. I think it's mainly differing attack though. So different fingers are more powerful than others which gives an uneven sound. I can play it fine but I'm working on really getting it very laid back and putting power in without totally hammering the frets smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 12 2009, 03:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 12 2009, 03:19 PM) *
.... I think it's mainly differing attack though. So different fingers are more powerful than others which gives an uneven sound. I can play it fine but I'm working on really getting it very laid back and putting power in without totally hammering the frets smile.gif

Great, thats exactly what you should get aware of with this legato exercises.
The differences of attack will cause you difficulties when you play legato parts or runs. So if you concentrate on this, a lot of things you play will quickly sound much more fluid.

You are right, don't hammer the strings too hard. You kind of have to release the tension direct after the finger hits the string.

I'm often laughing when doing these exercises, the fingers look a bit like cylinders inside an engine which goes up and down .. don't know if you get my picture, but the technic is quite similar actually smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 12 2009, 02:34 PM) *
Great, thats exactly what you should get aware of with this legato exercises.
The differences of attack will cause you difficulties when you play legato parts or runs. So if you concentrate on this, a lot of things you play will quickly sound much more fluid.

You are right, don't hammer the strings too hard. You kind of have to release the tension direct after the finger hits the string.

I'm often laughing when doing these exercises, the fingers look a bit like cylinders inside an engine which goes up and down .. don't know if you get my picture, but the technic is quite similar actually smile.gif

haha. With the power in fingers I visualised like a kung fu guy breaking a number of bricks with his hand because he can concentrate the energy and I was trying to do that with fingers and realised that isn't the desired effect laugh.gif

I will snap the neck with my super focussed power fingers lol biggrin.gif

But it's good fun. I like that legato exercise as it is fairly melodic and the more melodic something is the more I want to practice. If it sounds dull then it's hard to get excited about but this is a simple exercise that sounds great and very musical smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 12 2009, 03:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
laugh.gif .. don't snap the low E string with your pinky.

It will stay melodic, promised. If you want to apply some theory, you can try to transpose the shapes up and down the neck on these two strings, but stay in the same key. I will explain this in more details in the next session, but you can try to figure it out on your own already if you like.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 03:56 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 12 2009, 02:55 PM) *
laugh.gif .. don't snap the low E string with your pinky.

It will stay melodic, promised. If you want to apply some theory, you can try to transpose the shapes up and down the neck on these two strings, but stay in the same key. I will explain this in more details in the next session, but you can try to figure it out on your own already if you like.

Same notes, different octave? I can do that smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 12 2009, 04:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
As i said, i will explain this in more details, but as you are a PHD:er, maybe you like a little quiz smile.gif

If you don't know what i mean, don't worry .. the explanation will come. Even if its an workout, it's just for to understand as well what you play.

You play cord notes in this each shape in this legato exercise:
1. Bbmaj7 (root chord)
2. Cm7
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

- Figure out which notes you play in each shape
- understand the structure
- transpose this structure to each notes of this key (harmonizing: have a look HERE)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 04:40 PM
1. Bbmaj7 (root chord) - You play Bb, A, D, F
2. Cm7 - You play C, Eb, G, Bb
3. Dm7 - You play D, F, A, C
4. Ebmaj7 - You play Eb, G, Bb, D
5. F7 - You play F, A, C, Eb
6. Gm - You play G, Bb, D, F
7. Adim - You play A, C, Eb, G

Is that correct?

The structure is 1 3 5 7 degrees of scale?

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jan 12 2009, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 12 2009, 05:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Correct! ... you only need the 7th as well for Gm? and Adim? smile.gif

Try to find a shape for each of the 7 chords. If it becomes to uncomfortable on the higher frets go lower (octave lower) .. use the whole fretboard. Maybe complete the GP file for yourself.

If you have all of them, you can mix them as you and ears like smile.gif and build you own exercises out of it. By now stay only in this key. Later you can move them to other keys.

It's of course just an add-on to the main goal to equalize your legato, but like this you can give these workouts different purposes.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 12 2009, 05:11 PM
I will add the different patterns to the guitar pro tab and upload tomorrow and hopefully I'm correct and I will upload a video.

Thanks again. smile.gif

Yeah I forgot to add the 7 for some reason. Not sure why on the last 2.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 14 2009, 12:03 AM
I've been totally slacking off lol. I have done this tonight and that is it sad.gif I have tabbed out legato exercise with all patterns. And recorded this collab. That is it. And the collab recording is awful and the tab is right hopefully. Sorry to let you down sad.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Legato_Exercise_2_Strings_EDIT.gp5 ( 2.81K ) Number of downloads: 94
Attached File  OC_Up_Tempo_Blues_with_backing.mp3 ( 1.03MB ) Number of downloads: 156

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 14 2009, 09:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
No reason to be sorry OC. You did really great so far smile.gif
You managed the phrygian lesson quite well and hope you learned something to keep in mind when approaching other solos. This was the main part of this session, so no reason to be worried !!

With the rest (workouts) i just want to give you some ideas for you to work on over time. This will need more time as just one week of course. I will extend this in each session a bit if it is interesting for you, but take it as a long term practice plan proposition smile.gif ... something like that.

Our little theory exercise:
Your GP file is nearly correct, just the last shape, Adim7 (i prefer Am7b5, but it's the same), On the g-string you play an Ab (13) but it has to be A (14) smile.gif. All the other shapes are correct. Great !

You added something extra to this:). I initially was meaning to stay on the e and b string and transpose the shapes here, but you managed to do it on the b and g string, so it's great and useful for the future. A good extension for you to work on, so keep it.
You maybe noticed that these shapes on the b and g string are not as easy. To shift the index finger position can be difficult. For the purpose of this exercise to work on your legato, stick to the e and b string first and when you feel comfortable move to the b and g string .. and even further if you like.

As you see, with these kind of workouts you can apply some theory knowledge on the guitar as well. You quickly will learn the fretboard like this, shapes/chord notes you can play over a specific chord, etc. Try to remember as well what each note represents in each shape (root, 3rd, 5th, 7th). Over time it will help you to see the fretboard as chords and not as scale diagrams.

Up Tempo Blues Collab:
Nice take, i like those kind of crazy blues solos ... wild and noisy to make the guitar scream smile.gif. I think Jose will tell you more about it in his comments.

Just an advise maybe. To improvise a complete take and fill it with brilliant licks, structure and everything what defines a great solo is an art on it's own. Still a secret for me sad.gif
What you can try is to improvise a few takes and record them. Listen to it afterwards and keep the licks you like. Try to remember these licks and apply them on your next take. Like this try to find licks for each part over the complete backing and compose your solo that way. Finally, play and record the complete solo as best you can. It is not 100% improvised of course, but you use improvisation to build your solo. The advantage is that you remember what you have played and you can apply this again on your next improvisation. Otherwise good stuff you have played before is gone quickly after.
I don't know how you practice (?), but i have always my DAW open with a drum loop or a backing track and can easily hit record.

Let me know when you are up for the next session. I planed to have the next session online tomorrow (15.01)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 14 2009, 01:45 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 14 2009, 08:37 AM) *
No reason to be sorry OC. You did really great so far smile.gif
You managed the phrygian lesson quite well and hope you learned something to keep in mind when approaching other solos. This was the main part of this session, so no reason to be worried !!

With the rest (workouts) i just want to give you some ideas for you to work on over time. This will need more time as just one week of course. I will extend this in each session a bit if it is interesting for you, but take it as a long term practice plan proposition smile.gif ... something like that.

Our little theory exercise:
Your GP file is nearly correct, just the last shape, Adim7 (i prefer Am7b5, but it's the same), On the g-string you play an Ab (13) but it has to be A (14) smile.gif. All the other shapes are correct. Great !

You added something extra to this:). I initially was meaning to stay on the e and b string and transpose the shapes here, but you managed to do it on the b and g string, so it's great and useful for the future. A good extension for you to work on, so keep it.
You maybe noticed that these shapes on the b and g string are not as easy. To shift the index finger position can be difficult. For the purpose of this exercise to work on your legato, stick to the e and b string first and when you feel comfortable move to the b and g string .. and even further if you like.

As you see, with these kind of workouts you can apply some theory knowledge on the guitar as well. You quickly will learn the fretboard like this, shapes/chord notes you can play over a specific chord, etc. Try to remember as well what each note represents in each shape (root, 3rd, 5th, 7th). Over time it will help you to see the fretboard as chords and not as scale diagrams.

Up Tempo Blues Collab:
Nice take, i like those kind of crazy blues solos ... wild and noisy to make the guitar scream smile.gif. I think Jose will tell you more about it in his comments.

Just an advise maybe. To improvise a complete take and fill it with brilliant licks, structure and everything what defines a great solo is an art on it's own. Still a secret for me sad.gif
What you can try is to improvise a few takes and record them. Listen to it afterwards and keep the licks you like. Try to remember these licks and apply them on your next take. Like this try to find licks for each part over the complete backing and compose your solo that way. Finally, play and record the complete solo as best you can. It is not 100% improvised of course, but you use improvisation to build your solo. The advantage is that you remember what you have played and you can apply this again on your next improvisation. Otherwise good stuff you have played before is gone quickly after.
I don't know how you practice (?), but i have always my DAW open with a drum loop or a backing track and can easily hit record.

Let me know when you are up for the next session. I planed to have the next session online tomorrow (15.01)

What a silly error with the tab lol. I know you don't have an Ab in as I listed the notes you play above for each chord in the key of Bb laugh.gif I'm just a bit of a fool and yeah some of the stretches are quite tricky for me but it's helping me and I'm gradually getting better at doing legato with larger stretches thanks to this. My theory is vastly improved over the last 4 or 5 months. Any chance on you putting together a mini theory quiz including scale, interval and harmonising knowledge? That would really help me as PhD students love quizzes lol tongue.gif laugh.gif I'm sad I know.

As for the collabs. I normally whack the backing in to my DAW and record every take and when I'm happy with bits through improvising I keep them in and then try and play those bits in every take whilst improvising the other bits. That collab however was 100% improvised lol as you could probably tell. I'm a huge fan of bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam who used to do really screamy and at times anti guitar solos. I learnt a lot from them and even though they have bad habits nothing excites me more than a screaming guitar that is at the point of breaking up completely as you have to really listen hard to find the melody at the back that they are trying to get across.

I can't wait for my next session tomorrow as the Phrygian lesson will be in my practice regime for a while until I can really get my vibrato better. Is my tone quite poor at times or is it not too bad but rather my technique with vibrato and bends that would make my playing that much stronger?

Thanks for your mentoring as I think you are doing it brilliantly. I understand everything you say and agree with your comments fully and you're helping me get to being a better guitarist and we aren't just learning licks. These exercises will help me with anything I do in the future. So thanks again and I look forward to tomorrow. I'm going to try my hardest to get something recorded tonight but it depends on how things go. I played guitar for 7 hours last night and hurt my hand a bit but recorded several riffs for my virtual band, a collaboration, the legato exercise, the alternate picking exercise and also the phrygian practice as well as working on riffs for my real bands songs. smile.gif

Cheers Andy. You're a very inspirational guitarist who makes me want to get better. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 14 2009, 04:01 PM
I am going home shortly and I will give a progress video tonight for sure before you update tomorrow with new session. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:29 PM