2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Language Improvement
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 12:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there! smile.gif
At GMC, English is the language we use to communicate with each other. Of course it is not everybody´s mother tongue, so a lot of GMCers don´t speak/write correct English. I don´t know how you others think, but I personally want to improve my English everywhere I can. Maybe we could start a "Language Improvement Program" which cares about our spelling/grammar/... mistakes. In other words, those who speak English nearly perfectly can correct the "non-English-speakers".
Clear? Possible? smile.gif

Cheers,
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 27 2008, 12:24 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Sure, that would be a good thing.
As long as it got it's own place in the forums, so that all threads doesn't get flooded with grammar correction biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
edguy
Dec 27 2008, 12:26 AM
Learning Roadie
Very nice idea but you have to think about the time effort for the well engish speaking people.
Then they have to do a lot of work:)

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 27 2008, 12:24 AM) *
Sure, that would be a good thing.
As long as it got it's own place in the forums, so that all threads doesn't get flooded with grammar correction biggrin.gif

Don´t know. biggrin.gif
I imagined it like this: members who want to be corrected write in their signatur "I want to be corrected!". When somebody answers them (ontopic), he can also add the grammatical correction.

QUOTE (edguy @ Dec 27 2008, 12:26 AM) *
Very nice idea but you have to think about the time effort for the well engish speaking people.
Then they have to do a lot of work:)

They don´t have to correct the others if they don´t want to. If they post the correction in the post the write in a topic, it would cost only a few seconds.

+Quote Post
sigma7
Dec 27 2008, 12:40 AM
GMC:er
it could work. but people like me use slang all the time and hardly use proper grammar so i dont know how much use i could be haha but many others could correct improper grammar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 12:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Dec 27 2008, 12:40 AM) *
it could work. but people like me use slang all the time and hardly use proper grammar so i dont know how much use i could be haha but many others could correct improper grammar.

laugh.gif If you are not sure about the grammar, just leave it. smile.gif It´s not a must.

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 27 2008, 12:45 AM
Of course it is not everybody´s mother tongue, so a lot of GMCers don´t speak/write correct English.

HALT!!! GRAMMAR POLICE!!!!

this should be written

Of course, it is not everybody´s mother tongue, so a lot of GMCers don´t speak/write correct English

Well, actually, you don't need a comma.... If what you wanted to express emphasis on the fact that English is not everybody's mother tongue, then you would leave that comma out. If you put the comma in it takes some of the emphasis off of that statement.

This is just a nuance of the language, and because of this, it difficult to "correct" posts/entries/whatever...

I usually try to avoid these situations, so that what I am typing doesnt get misinterpreted, so you'll see me do alot of this.... and this.... to denote pauses and such, and separate thoughts. I do this mostly because I find it easier to read than if I put the "correct" punctuation in. And I feel that it is a better way to convey the nuances of my thoughts too tongue.gif
but yeah, you can tell that I write using slang, and such... oh well, I try to write the same way I speak laugh.gif

but yeah, I think that this would be great....

anyone wanna help me with my German?

Ich finde GMC toll! .....I'm not even sure that's correct...

-Chris

EDIT: I'm just noticing this now, and this is a very common mistake, but many people do it...

"If I put the correct punctuation in"

needs to be "If I put in the correct punctuation" in order for it to be called "proper" english

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Dec 27 2008, 12:51 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Dec 27 2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor
That's a really good idea!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 12:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Dec 27 2008, 12:45 AM) *

this should be written

Well, actually, you don't need a comma.... If what you wanted to express emphasis on the fact that English is not everybody's mother tongue, then you would leave that comma out. If you put the comma in it takes some of the emphasis off of that statement.

This is just a nuance of the language, and because of this, it difficult to "correct" posts/entries/whatever...

I usually try to avoid these situations, so that what I am typing doesnt get misinterpreted, so you'll see me do alot of this.... and this.... to denote pauses and such, and separate thoughts. I do this mostly because I find it easier to read than if I put the "correct" puncutation in. And I feel that it is a better way to convey the nuances of my thoughts too tongue.gif

-Chris

Thanks! I didn´t know it. smile.gif That german sentence is fully correct.

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Dec 27 2008, 12:45 AM) *
That's a really good idea!

smile.gif Let´s hope it will become reality. Of course, if the majority wants this. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 27 2008, 01:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
Sure, I am in for this too. The only problem I see is that people could eventually start taking it personally (of course, that is not the point of it all), but a correction here and there adding up to a lot might be a bit annoying. At least I would probably think so.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 01:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 27 2008, 01:23 AM) *
Sure, I am in for this too. The only problem I see is that people could eventually start taking it personally (of course, that is not the point of it all), but a correction here and there adding up to a lot might be a bit annoying. At least I would probably think so.

I considered that too and that´s why people should write in their signature "I want to be corrected!" or something similiar.

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 27 2008, 01:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I agree with Cael. Actually language corrections should be possible, but you should only focus on essential mistakes. Otherwise I think the forum becomes infected with language purists all the way tongue.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 27 2008, 04:41 AM
Moderation Policy Director
This could be cool - I think the essential thing is that you want to be corrected, otherwise it is bad manners, so the sig idea is a good one!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 27 2008, 05:13 AM
Instructor
Tolek I suggest you for Founder of language improvement program or LIP laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 27 2008, 05:36 AM
I think most of the non-native speakers in this forum are proficient enough such that any major correction made to their grammar would require a lengthy explanation. While I may be inclined to do this every once and a while, I surely will not make a habit of it.... Sorry I just don't have that kind of time.

But I will be glad to point out spelling mistakes, and other simple grammar problems anytime.

and another noteworthy thing here is... should I correct Andrew (or any other person from europe) when he spells the words armor or color "wrong" laugh.gif tongue.gif

...surely not tongue.gif

-Chris

P.S. here's a little riddle... puncuate this sentence so that it makes sense, and then "translate" it into normal language.... it CAN be done!

That that is is not that that is not a ham sandwich

sorry if someone already started replying to this... I switched up the riddle

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Dec 27 2008, 05:42 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 09:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 27 2008, 04:41 AM) *
This could be cool - I think the essential thing is that you want to be corrected, otherwise it is bad manners, so the sig idea is a good one!

Would be cool if this could be a program at GMC. smile.gif

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 27 2008, 05:13 AM) *
Tolek I suggest you for Founder of language improvement program or LIP laugh.gif

laugh.gif Maybe? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ctodd @ Dec 27 2008, 05:36 AM) *
I think most of the non-native speakers in this forum are proficient enough such that any major correction made to their grammar would require a lengthy explanation. While I may be inclined to do this every once and a while, I surely will not make a habit of it.... Sorry I just don't have that kind of time.

But I will be glad to point out spelling mistakes, and other simple grammar problems anytime.

and another noteworthy thing here is... should I correct Andrew (or any other person from europe) when he spells the words armor or color "wrong" laugh.gif tongue.gif

...surely not tongue.gif

-Chris

P.S. here's a little riddle... puncuate this sentence so that it makes sense, and then "translate" it into normal language.... it CAN be done!

That that is is not that that is not a ham sandwich

sorry if someone already started replying to this... I switched up the riddle

That attitude is already fine. I think that native English speakers (or even foreign people who speak English very well, too, such as Kris smile.gif ) just could correct the spelling mistake without explanation. If the "corrected" doesn´t understand it, he can look it up or just ask in the "LIP forum". laugh.gif If there will ever be one! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Paiva
Dec 27 2008, 12:23 PM
I want some help on this biggrin.gif

I already ask for help sometimes when I am not absolutely certain if the words I write are correct I put "(sp?)" in front of them waiting for people to correct me

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 27 2008, 12:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Paiva @ Dec 27 2008, 12:23 PM) *
I want some help on this biggrin.gif

I already ask for help sometimes when I am not absolutely certain if the words I write are correct I put "(sp?)" in front of them waiting for people to correct me

I´ve seen this in your posts. smile.gif

Let´s wait for Kris´ reaction to this idea.

+Quote Post
edguy
Dec 27 2008, 12:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Dec 27 2008, 12:45 AM) *

this should be written

I usually try to avoid these situations, so that what I am typing doesnt get misinterpreted, so you'll see me do alot of this.... and this.... to denote pauses and such, and separate thoughts. I do this mostly because I find it easier to read than if I put the "correct" punctuation in. And I feel that it is a better way to convey the nuances of my thoughts too tongue.gif
but yeah, you can tell that I write using slang, and such... oh well, I try to write the same way I speak laugh.gif

-Chris

EDIT: I'm just noticing this now, and this is a very common mistake, but many people do it...

"If I put the correct punctuation in"

needs to be "If I put in the correct punctuation" in order for it to be called "proper" english

Ich finde GMC toll was correct:) Your German is perfect:)

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 27 2008, 02:26 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'll write it again, as I believe this should get it's own subforum.
If not many threads will get flooded with grammar correction.
I believe it's better to have a Language Improvement Forum, somewhere in GMC smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:11 PM