> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Muse Style Lesson , Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

onetabmat
Aug 20 2019, 06:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Muse Style Lesson by Gabriel Leopardi

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2019, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

There are mostly two things that need attention here:

- Timing: You tend to rush a bit the riff, and in most parts you are going a bit before the tempo. I also notice that your right hand get tired after some riffs. This will disappear with more days of practice but also trying to relax a bit more your hands (mostly your right hand).

- Muting: I notice that you are palm muting everything while I'm not doing it in the lesson. You get a different sound, which is not bad at all but it's different to the lesson and also, it's not very "Muse style". This lesson is a good excuse to practice open string pedal note riffing on lower strings without palm muting, get the most of it! wink.gif

To summarize, work on timing, and focus on relaxing your hands. Cheers!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2019, 10:45 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks for this REC take - I think it highlights some important problem areas in your playing.

The first section lacks flow and groove - and it does not convey a musical impression. For example at 00:20 it seems you are slightly pausing, basically waiting to catch up with the beat - this would never happen if you were tapping your foot as you would constantly be syncing with the tempo.

However in the second section - you start tapping your foot (and more importantly feeling) the pulse. Although this section is not perfect - it is musical. Here you just need to give it a little more practicing for a flawless performance.

So what this proves - and I think this is valid for all your REC takes involving more advanced picking - is that you need to sit down and work out a formula for syncing your right hand with your foot ( = the pulse of the backing). Most people solve this by making sure downstrokes always happen on the down beat - and this is why economy picking (where you don't play strict down up down up all the time) is extremely problematic for people with timing issues.

I will give you a 4 here. However I want to clarify that the grade itself is just a reflection of how this performance sounds. More importantly I feel like we have identified your single most important problem which if fixed, will help raise all your coming REC takes to a new level.

I have my fingers crossed for you mate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2019, 03:29 AM
GMC:er
First off, let me say Bravo for again attacking a lesson with a LOT of moving parts in it. Just learning these lessons is going to make you a better player. Of course, the more that you play them, the better you will get. I appreciate that fact that you are grabbing lessons that are just above your comfort level in order to push yourself. With such lessons, they typically take way more time than lessons one can play at a comfort level. Still well Fought!
Without repeating everything that kris just said, I"m seeing some hand fatigue which usually results in overpressure on the hands due to tensing up typically when playing very near or beyond ones comfort zone. This reduces precision in both hands and typically wrecks handy synchronization. Learning to relax the hands, is skill unto itself and one worth learning. It must be practiced, just like a scale. One hand at a time, then with both. Practice playing something with your left hand only, while keeping your hand as loose as you can, then same for the right, then pick something that requires hand synch and play that with very little hand tension. Rinse and repeat. Tense hands fatigue quickly and burn out before the end of a single song if the song is somewhat intense. Non tense hands can keep up full tilt boogie all day long.

Here is an example I split the "speedy" sections of this solo in half with a slow part in the middle. It's got wads of tight hand synch bits on 16th notes that would sound terrrible if they fell out of synch due to fatigue. Watch my pick hand how it doesn't tense, even during brisk bits. Thats sorta the secret sauce we are trying to share. Solid 7 from me!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 26 2019, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Hey there!

I see one major problem here. Your right hand is confused. It looks that you can't "Accept" the fact that accents move from down to up-slanting and your hand want's to use improper picking direction for these "up" accents. Because of the tempo i gets stucked. As a result you get timing and hand sync problems.

Best way to fix this is a practise with linear tempo speed up. Start from veyr slow tempo where you can 100% focus on your right hand(attention! - don't let it do it's job "whatever" it likes...slow tempo can trick you because there is so much time between notes that you can do many wrong things). Increase the tempo a little and keep playing constantly focusing at your right hand. Keep doing this until you reach target tempo of the lesson. Don't rush. You will not reach the target if you skip the middle tempo range.

It is all about getting your muscles used to picking direction assignment for each note. It needs to move smoothly and alternate all the time. Just like with strumming. The difference is - in this lick you play open string as a fill between accents. In chord strumming you usually make some moves out of reach of strings. General mechanics are similar.

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2019, 01:26 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:44 PM