24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Gas. What Next?
Mertay
Nov 25 2015, 10:27 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 25 2015, 08:30 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,
I didn't try Reaper but I can't see it being a problem, Windows sounds work, youtube works, media player works, iTunes works.
I tried a system restore and it said it could restore and I tried about 5 restore points.
Cheers

Check the asio settings for the soundcard and reaper. I guess it changed a setting somewhere, re-installing the boss+ (maybe) reaper worst case should solve it if its that sort of an issue...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 25 2015, 10:28 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 25 2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor
Big Muff is a very specific type of vintage drive. I think it can't be treated as a reference analog overdirve to make you opinion of whole range of analog OD. I would say it's "overcompressed, broke, old radio" type of sound for Jack White smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2015, 12:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 25 2015, 10:04 AM) *
Big Muff is a very specific type of vintage drive. I think it can't be treated as a reference analog overdirve to make you opinion of whole range of analog OD. I would say it's "overcompressed, broke, old radio" type of sound for Jack White smile.gif

Darius??? smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 25 2015, 06:22 PM
A Big Muff is a 'fuzz' tone.
It can also do lower gain, almost overdrive tones but it's more famous as a HUGE sounding fuzz pedal.
Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr. and Nirvana are some of the famous 'big muff' using bands.
*Gilmore's solo on 'Comfortably Numb' is a Big Muff.
Keep in mind there are several different versions of the muff. The classic tones are all from the 70's and early 80s Muffs.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 25 2015, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks Ken,

Yeah I kinda understod what Darius was saying but was a little confused as to why he was saying it at this point in the conversation smile.gif I was talking about a Big Muff originally back on page 1 of this thread as I had just sold a pre '78 one and when I tested it before putting it on the bay I thought it "felt" different to my digital stuff.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2015, 10:29 PM
I feel such a HUGE fool!!!!!!!!!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Turned out it was my EV-5 vol/expression pedal was up. What a total dingbat. Sorry folks. What makes it worse is that it has caught me out before. Because it's under my desk tucked away I don't think of it. It must have been when I was plugging the Hotbird back into the mains. I had taken it to my friends guitar shop for them to see and I must have caught it.

Sorry.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 25 2015, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 25 2015, 09:29 PM) *
I feel such a HUGE fool!!!!!!!!!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Turned out it was my EV-5 vol/expression pedal was up. What a total dingbat. Sorry folks. What makes it worse is that it has caught me out before. Because it's under my desk tucked away I don't think of it. It must have been when I was plugging the Hotbird back into the mains. I had taken it to my friends guitar shop for them to see and I must have caught it.

Sorry.

heheeh laugh.gif don't feel sorry and trust me we've all have such storys biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 26 2015, 11:05 AM
Instructor
Ha ha ha ! biggrin.gif I was refering do Big Muff since Mertay (?) mentioned about trying analog OD and I understood it as you had Big Muff and was not satisfied with it. So...I wanted to clear things up smile.gif Because it's like buying hollowbody guitar for playing metal. You can't say you don't like electric guitars when you try to use above, and it doesn't work tongue.gif Sorry for the brutal comparison tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2015, 12:31 PM
laugh.gif
I meant that when I played through it into my Blackstar head it "felt" different, it did also get some nice Hendrixy type tones too but it was the feel.
Do you have any suggestions to how to get the best recording from my Blackstar emulated out with the Hotbird in the front end Darius?

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2015, 09:17 PM
OK,

For those interested, HERE are some details about the knobs/switches in case you can advise me.

I've not had pedals before really, only digital multi fx. I have to say, playing through an amp is totally different to the PC even though I'm using my PC monitors smile.gif (The emulated out switches of the cab speakers sad.gif Wish there was a way to fix this so I could choose)

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 26 2015, 09:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 26 2015, 09:49 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2015, 08:17 PM) *

I remember it being a blackstar but whats the model?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks Mertay,

THIS is what I have.

Been thinking about getting this THIS because of eq, fx loop and it still has emulated output 1x12 or 4x12. I could use this for recording and the 1 watt for playing through the cab.

What you think?

Thanks for your help Mertay:)

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 27 2015, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2015, 09:54 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

THIS is what I have.

Been thinking about getting this THIS because of eq, fx loop and it still has emulated output 1x12 or 4x12. I could use this for recording and the 1 watt for playing through the cab.

What you think?

Thanks for your help Mertay:)

Cool, lets start with your current amp smile.gif using overdrive is really not that different compared to using a processor. Like we use presets on a processor for various sounds (clean,distorted,bluesy overdrive etc...), the overdrive gives us options. The advantage is we maintain a similar character and master it.

To start with adjusting pedal you have to adjust the amp first. On clean channel, keep the eq in the middle-reverb closed and volume matched for the soundcards signal so it won't clip.

You'll remember on ACE's demo's when he gives the first sound (without pedal), the sound was driven and I found it too much smile.gif

For starters, select the overdrive button on the amp but keep the gain a bit lower. You're aiming for a clean-ish sound where the overdrive is heard only when you bang a chord on the guitar...simply the lowest gain you could use for the genre's your listening (but not a clean sound!). Keep it at this while adjusting the pedal.

The amp now represents our lowest 2 gain sounds. You'll use the eq and reverb to adjust for backing tracks/recordings later on.

Now the pedal will give us 3 more sounds. Our extreme solo gain will be when both sides are engaged, earbender (fuzz) for a cutting solo sound and afterburner for powerchord-ish stuff or alternate solo sound.

Lets start from the Earbender; All knobs looking at 12 oclock. First adjust the volume, keep it where its only slightly higher compared to when the pedal was off. Crack the fuzz knob, now if you feel the current sound is harsh adjust using the top knob to sweeten it. A fuzz sound is usually wanted to be thick/overpowering, adjust the cream knob for this. Play some sounds and if you feel the sound is too chaotic for any reason now you can decrease the fuzz knob to your liking and adjust volume if needed.

Afterburner; All knobs looking at 12 oclock, clipper at green. First adjust the volume, keep it where its only slightly higher compared to when the pedal was off. Remove any harshness or add clarity by using the tone knob, when adjusting it switch pedal on/off so it meets a common ground with the amps balance. The mid knob is a personal taste thing, again switching pedal on/off might help adjusting it.

The gain on overdrives usually aren't cracked, adjust it to a point where you feel is solo friendly but not overpowering like the fuzz. The modern/vinatge switch is again a personal think, select what sounds best through you amp.

Now engage both sides, adjust the tone and level of the sound by only using the volume knobs of each side.

From here the rest is up to you smile.gif ;

-If you feel the sounds from the pedal aren't gain-ey/strong enough increase the amps gain knob

-feel free to change any knob if needed but incase if you feel confused try and remember where the knob was before.

-You can increase the volume of the afterburner and decrease the gain to blend more of the amps sound if you like. Keep in mind; The afterburners main job is replacing the gain knob of the amp for a solo distortion boost, the flavor is up to you.

-If you don't like the sound when both sides are engaged, you don't have to like it smile.gif

-It takes time and experience to nail the perfect setting or mastering the pedal. Make some recording (the more the better) with it, get opinions on sound from this forum for further adjustments. Its supposed to be fun so take your time smile.gif

We'll discuss the other amp you mentioned once you feel a bit comfortable with the pedal, lets get a feel of the potential of your current rig first. Let me know if you need any further help smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 27 2015, 12:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 27 2015, 07:55 AM
Thank you so much for taking your time to do that Mertay, it is really really appreciated.

One thing, and I'm not home right now, I can never get my soundcard to clip. When I have Reaper on, in record armed mode, if I keep turning the volume up on the amp and/or the pedal, the peak meter never really gets higher. It's as though there is a built in protection. This isn't anything to do with the pedal because it's been like it ever since I had the GT-001.

I'll check that out this evening.

Thanks again Mertay, I owe you BIG time smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 27 2015, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 27 2015, 06:55 AM) *

No problem smile.gif

A week ago I gave a quick lesson to someone on using Reaper to record on backing tracks (first time he ever used a DAW). Since he was new to this and his computer was old, I decided to use his amps output just like you did.

Same thing happened with his digital Fender amp, was cool so he didn't had to adjust levels. I didn't have the time then to test if it affects the sound though, like wether it was compressing the sound or not. Its really not an issue as I didn't notice anything bad while testing the setup, just might be worth a check later on when you have time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 27 2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks Mertay,

It's the same if I don't use the amp. If I go straight into the GT 001 with low output pickups or high output pickups it makes no difference, even if I turn the patch level up, the pre amp gain and volume up, it never clips. My old unit had an input sensitivity knob with an led that flashed when clipping.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 27 2015, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 27 2015, 09:11 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,

It's the same if I don't use the amp. If I go straight into the GT 001 with low output pickups or high output pickups it makes no difference, even if I turn the patch level up, the pre amp gain and volume up, it never clips. My old unit had an input sensitivity knob with an led that flashed when clipping.

Cheers

Phil

Regular soundcards can't do that, I did use an expensive apogee once in a studio that had level protection and didn't like it.

But while soundcards are designed to record anything, my guess is such protection is more do-able for the guitar cause unlike other insruments guitar can take any compression or distortion smile.gif

I also noticed that with boss's dijital distortion pedals, used a booster before the pedal and no artifects happened like it would with a soundcard. Recent boss stuff started to make me like digital distortion again, some don't like them which is ok but they're well engineered products.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks for everything Mertay,
Been busy lately not had much guitar time sad.gif
Just for the experience I'd like to try a mic. What would you recommend? I don't really have to worry about neighbours as we're not joined, no kids just my wife downstairs when I'm practising. I don't want to play loud enough so it can be heard through theexternal walls and windows though so which Mic will do the job? I have a 4x10 cab.
Also is there a special name for those small Mic stands I've seen by combos?
Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 2 2015, 01:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 11:28 AM) *
Thanks for everything Mertay,
Been busy lately not had much guitar time sad.gif
Just for the experience I'd like to try a mic. What would you recommend? I don't really have to worry about neighbours as we're not joined, no kids just my wife downstairs when I'm practising. I don't want to play loud enough so it can be heard through theexternal walls and windows though so which Mic will do the job? I have a 4x10 cab.
Also is there a special name for those small Mic stands I've seen by combos?
Cheers smile.gif

Ok thats cool, an sm57 is pretty much a standard and affordable too (don't forget you need an xlr cable too). If there is anything better for home use Darious would know, he's always busy but I'm sure he'll reply a pm.

I don't think there is a special name for short mic stands but I'd suggest buying a standard one as they can be adjusted anyway you like, maybe in the future if you change gear placements in the room a short one might not be enough.

Some things to keep in mind while testing the mic.;

-with sm57 you don't need phantom power
-From the manual it says you must remove the guitar jack from soundcard when using the mic. input.
-close speakers and use headphones (adjust not to be loud) when first adjusting the mic.

There is something called feedback that can occur when dealing with mic.s and speakers, its something like a sustaining note and can be very loud. If it happens dial back the mic.s preamp gain or speaker volume or change the angle of the speaker.

Once you get a sound with no feedback on headphones, lower the speaker and monitors volume before turning them on. Slowly turn on their output volumes to prevent feedback.

Feedback is a bi.ch in smaller rooms so be careful not to damage your ears. A friend of mine who also newly started to use a mic. with an amp only uses headphones for recording cause of this as his room is really small. Nothing to be afraid of but just be patient and careful as you're new to it.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 2 2015, 01:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks Mertay you are a legend wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:16 PM