2 Pages V  < 1 2  
What Do U Think About Les Pauls?
bowy73
Apr 11 2007, 05:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (nrpstreetballa @ Apr 6 2007, 06:42 AM) *
hey guys i have always wanted a les paul just cause slash has one and so does jimmy page but i was wondering if any1 has one and would recommend it and y its a good guitar, thanks a bunch guys

Les pauls rip. i have a custom and run it through a marshall and it shreds. i agree with gabriel, if you want to sound like slash u need that les paul tone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 11 2007, 10:47 AM
I have 7 electrics. Those are two American Fender, a Gibson SG Standard, a Gibson Firebird V, and three Gibson Les Pauls will describe the Les Pauls.

1) Gibson Les Paul 58 Reissue (Custom Shop). Sustains better than any of my other guitars. The tone is silky smooth. Cherry burst, very pretty, workmanship flawless. Action super low. Gets pretty good harmonics. That may be in part due to the Burstbucker pickups. The 58's have a fat neck, which I like just fine. I think you get better sustain with a big neck. I don't feel that it slows me down at all, just feels a bit different than the thin necks on the SG and Firebird, Firebird, and Fenders. The 58's have a plain top. I would prefer a real nice flame, but only a AAA type flame. The AA flames (unless they are nice ones) don't do much for me. But what is nice about my 58, is that the maple top is one piece. That is pretty unusual for tops. I have seen a Gibson with a AAA one piece flamed top. But that is like one in a zillion. This guitar is the one you want to play for slow leads, where it has to be silky smooth. I don't think you can find a more suitable guitar for that. But it is good for just about everything.

2) Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium. Sustain is very good. Harmonics are not great. That may be the pickups more than anything else. This is a 2001, the first year they made the premiums. I think I has a special top, about as nice a flamed top as you will see, light chocolate brown. Supposed to be a AA but looks like a AAA to me. I like this guitar a lot. Sounds nice, plays nice. The Studio Les Pauls are really a pretty good deal for the money, they give you the authentic Les Paul sound, feel, etc. (except no binding on the neck, so you can feel the frets if you slide your finger against the side of the frets).

3) Gibson Mahogany Studio Les Paul. This is a really neat guitar. Everyone that has one of these loves them. You can only get them from Guitar Center or one of it's sister merchants, or Ebay. I got mine on a special deal, a couple hundred less than you can get one today. Mahogany everywhere, neck, carved top, back. Back is two piece like most Studios, but the second piece is very small, about an inch and a half wide near the plug jack, so it is for all practical purposes a one piece back. Same pickups as on my Custom shop guitar. Nice neck. The sound is incredible, not like a normal Les Paul, more "woody", or "acoustic". And it really gets harmonics. I think part is the pickups, but a lot is that big light Mahogany body, top, and neck. I figure that the materials just emphasize the overtones of the vibrating string, so harmonics just ring out. I sometimes just start playing harmonics on nearly every note, even a low volume, they are that easy to get to ring out with this guitar. Really, if you can get a good deal on one of these, this a very unusual, and very neat guitar. And not expensive at all. A keeper.

edit: Out of curiosity, I check out all my guitars w.r.t. getting harmonics, at low volume, that is the acid test.
My Gibson Mahogany is best at that, my Gibson Standard SG is second place. So I think the mahogany body may accentuate the harmonics. The pickups on the SG are the same as the Studio Premium, which I mentioned did not do as well getting harmonics. The SG is much slimmer than the Mahogany Les Paul, but just about the same weight. Maybe the big light weight body of the Les Paul Mahogany helps in getting harmonics easily. The weights of wood really vary. The same guitar may vary about a pound in weight, depending on the wood. Is lighter better than heavy? People argue that. I feel that there are advantages to both ways, light and heavy. I do think that the best sustaining Les Paul is the 9.5 lb les paul. I have heard others say that. My 58 reissue is 9.5 lbs (more heavy than average), and it really sustains to the yin and yang, clearly better than my other guitars. My telecaster is heavier than my strat of course, and it gets better sustain than the strat. But after about 9 or 9.5 lbs, I think it is over kill, you don't get more sustain, and you may get a bad back. Some of those old Les Pauls weighed 11 lbs. or more.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 11 2007, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post
Melinda
Apr 14 2007, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (nrpstreetballa @ Apr 5 2007, 09:42 PM) *
hey guys i have always wanted a les paul just cause slash has one and so does jimmy page but i was wondering if any1 has one and would recommend it and y its a good guitar, thanks a bunch guys

I have a Les Paul Studio......absolutely love it!!!! Plays great.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:11 PM