Active Mid Boost, JE1200
Mith
Jul 25 2014, 04:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This might be a little to specific but its worth a shot.

I have a 86' Modal 4 Charvel. Pretty much my favorate guitar and best sounding. Its all stock standard except I had someone make me a copy of the JE-1200 midboost circuit.

I pretty much always have this on because it just makes the low end nice and tight while keeping the dynamics of a passive pickup. Anyway what I'm getting at does anyone know of a completly passive pickup that would be close to that tone for a build I'm doing. Would like to avoid having to make another JE-1200 and seems pointless if its on all the time. Anyone use to the tone it produces and knows of a similar pickup?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2014, 06:59 AM
GMC:er
Hate to sound like a broken record, but

1.)BAREKNUCKLE JUGGERNAUT "Juggs" (Huge Mids, Alnico Mags Mixed with Ceramic, monster pickups)

Here is a Guitar World bit about the juggs.
--
Performance
Many high-output pickups lack natural, open-sounding midrange, but not the Juggernauts. These pickups are engaging and warm, with copious even-order harmonics in the low mids and more odd-order overtones in the upper mids, making it possible to create sweet tones when softly picking or aggressive, chirping attack when digging in. Frankly, I can’t remember when I’ve heard this much high-end slice from an Alnico-based, neck-position humbucker.

Lows are similarly tight and controlled when you pick hard or palm mute, but they don’t lose their musical elasticity or intonation when called upon to deliver more serene passages, even when your low string is tuned down to B. Instead of driving certain frequencies, as singularly focused pickups do, the Juggernauts have a multifaceted character and a noiseless, “black” background that allows the guitar and amp’s harmonics to shine. Bear in mind, these pickups are not going to help you sound like Albert Collins or Van Halen—the Juggernauts have a PhD in tonal complexity and are best suited to the modern guitarist who wants to paint with omnipresent clarity and a full palette of tonal hues, whether through a bone-dry clean rig or an insanely distorted super stack.

List Price $TK

Manufacturer Bare Knuckle Pickups Ltd. United Kingdom, bareknucklepickups.co.uk
Cheat Sheet
A combination of Alnico V and ceramic VIII magnets give the bridge-position Juggernaut a rich midrange voice, taut lows and far-reaching highs.

Ideally wound coils and specially sized Alnico V magnets help the neck position Juggernaut produce sweet tones that are simultaneously punchy and sharp.

The Bottom Line
Like the scintillating exhaust note of a Ferrari California, Bare Knuckle’s Misha Mansoor signature Juggernaut humbuckers turn sheer power into nuanced art, with crushing lows, thick midrange and string-defining treble snap.

2.)HOMEWRECKER PUNISHER "The Punisher" (Alnico mags, very punchy mids with sparkle and no fizz)

I'm using these myself my Dean Razorback. They have alnico 8 mags so they are a bit hotter but maintain all the clarity that alnico brings. Also, they are built to focus the mids. I really like how they DON'T sizzle or get dark. I'm going to record more demo stuff.

Here is my demoing the punishers.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/homewrecker-pickupser-punisher-series-neck-and-bridge-demo

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 25 2014, 07:29 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 25 2014, 09:33 AM
Man I'm ussally not a fan of signature versions of anything but the mix of ceramic and alnico is very intresting. Going to have to listen to the sound samples when I get home.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 25 2014, 05:49 PM
Is the JE-1200 mid boost passive?
If it is, you can just hard wire it (switchless and 'on') into the harness.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 25 2014, 07:00 PM
Can't think of any as I don't know the circuit and also not sure if an existing pickup could match its tone 100%.

But the pickup your looking for is very high output and as good as possible for drop tuning. When installed they should be away from the strings as much as possible.

Something similar could be done as cutting the lows with capacitors, its actually pretty easy;

http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/02/taming-...zone-continued/

so a capacitor is installed between the hot wire of pickup and switch (you'll probably want 0.01uF). Capacitors are very affordable and if you or a friend knows how to solder its easy to do and reverse if not liked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2014, 04:06 AM
The JUGGS really are pretty darn spiff. They are NOT cheap, but heck, they RAWK so I guess it's to be expected smile.gif They are one of the best selling sets Bareknuckle has ever made. Killer design smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 25 2014, 04:33 AM) *
Man I'm ussally not a fan of signature versions of anything but the mix of ceramic and alnico is very intresting. Going to have to listen to the sound samples when I get home.

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 27 2014, 02:56 PM
Its active circuitry for passive pickups. The pickups themselves are a lil muddy and not all that great but when paired with that little bit of active mid boost its a whole different monster.

Its the same pickup arrangement Children of bodom used on their first 3 albums. Its just not made anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:02 PM