Interesting.
Phil66
Jan 5 2016, 09:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is an interesting page about Dave Gilmour's current setup. I like the way they say "Each amp in David’s new studio, is mic’ed with a Neuman U87 condenser microphone set fairly close to the grille. These mics has a bigger tone than the usual Shure SM57 but they also sound brighter, with emphasis on the upper mid range." The Neuman U87 is an £1800 mic and the SM57 is a £75 mic. I would hope it does perform better laugh.gif

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=7038

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 5 2016, 11:05 PM
GMC:er
If there's a mic. that can be used for everything to record an album, it would be an U87. It's usually the mic. of preference if somebody has a tight budget to start a studio business.

I actually do feel there is some sort of simlarity to it with an sm57, perhaps the nicely balanced low-mid.s but anyway it is a pretty cool mic. that can be heard on almost any album.

Whats also interesting is today I spotted this mic. a few times in some youtube stuff (like mesa's demonstrations) and figured out what brand/model it is. Seems to becoming a modern classic; http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mic...bbon-microphone

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 5 2016, 11:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah looks nice that.

I have to say, for the SM57 to be mentioned along side these mics is testament to just how good it is and what great value for money it is.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2016, 09:03 AM
The SM57 can take wads of high sound pressure level. Some Neuman mics can be a bit fragile under high sound level. But for overall quality, the Neuman are priced in the thousands and sound amazing smile.gif But to mic your Mesa, I'd still say use a 57.

The Edge and David Gilmour might benefit greatly from an Axe FX or 11 Rack or something. I'm all for crazy rigs but taking that on tour has to be a pain.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 5 2016, 05:05 PM) *
If there's a mic. that can be used for everything to record an album, it would be an U87. It's usually the mic. of preference if somebody has a tight budget to start a studio business.

I actually do feel there is some sort of simlarity to it with an sm57, perhaps the nicely balanced low-mid.s but anyway it is a pretty cool mic. that can be heard on almost any album.

Whats also interesting is today I spotted this mic. a few times in some youtube stuff (like mesa's demonstrations) and figured out what brand/model it is. Seems to becoming a modern classic; http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mic...bbon-microphone

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 2 2016, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 2 2016, 01:03 AM) *
taking that on tour has to be a pain.

They pay people (well) to do that wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2016, 08:00 PM
Very true! Guys in that league don't "tote their own" as is were. So they build em big.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 2 2016, 08:45 AM) *
They pay people (well) to do that wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Feb 2 2016, 09:06 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Edge does indeed use an AxeFX. Another band for whom cost is no object, and uses an AxeFx, is Metallica smile.gif.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:14 AM