2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Suggestions, Guitar :), Suggestions of guitar
Anders Karlsson
Nov 6 2013, 07:39 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi, thank you for a good Website:)

Im new here, joined this website yesterday. Im from Sweden, northerend Europe, i have played electric guitar about fifteen years and i am very fascinated of fast picking technique, arpeggios and so on:)
For the moment im playing on a Gibson Les paul signed Gary Moore, wonderful guitar.
Im in a rush for a new guitar, "fast playing guitar" and i wonder if you have some suggestions of a descent guitar. I have some thoughts about Steve Vais Ibanez or something equal. I want a guitar that is made for fast picking, arpeggios and so on.

If you have some suggestions of a descent guitar i would be very pleased:)

My english is quite poor, i hope you understand me:)

Best regards: Anders

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 6 2013, 08:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 6 2013, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
Welcome smile.gif

Fast neck is usually about the comfort and this can get very personal. Neck profile has a lot to do with this and if you enjoy Gibson but looking for something different, don't confuse yourself with "too different" guitars.

PRS might seem a good option for you as well as Gibson SG's with the medium thick profile necks (like 60's SG's). On clean settings specially PRS's (usually) sound brighter than Gibson's and you might like it as an alternative.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Nov 6 2013, 08:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC smile.gif Ibanez are great guitars I think for faster playing. I just played Joe satrianis signature model JS2400 very pricey, very nice neck. ( saving up for that guitar) smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 6 2013, 08:39 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I love Ibanez guitars, take a look at their Prestige models, which are the onew made in Japan, I'd go for a high end RG smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 6 2013, 08:57 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi, thank you for answering:) i think i want something new. Gibson is a great guitar and SG is good shit:P but i want to try something new.
I will check out your suggestions, Satrianis and Vai:s guitar are quite expensive and i think its a small difference compered the Prestige models.

Mertay: i will check out the PRS, it looks smooth:)

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 6 2013, 09:12 PM
You're welcome smile.gif Ibanez are great, this is my only (electric) guitar since 1998;

Of Course try all guitars mentioned, but there is a possibility the neck will feel too wide and slim for you compared to your current guitar. PRS guitars doesn't have many shredder artists that I know of but I know one can play very fast with them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 6 2013, 10:44 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 6 2013, 08:12 PM) *
You're welcome smile.gif Ibanez are great, this is my only (electric) guitar since 1998;

Of Course try all guitars mentioned, but there is a possibility the neck will feel too wide and slim for you compared to your current guitar. PRS guitars doesn't have many shredder artists that I know of but I know one can play very fast with them smile.gif

Well, it looks great, satisfied with that guitar?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 6 2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks, yeah it worked really good for me be it learning, music school exams, concerts, recordings, students...and still the frets are in decent condition smile.gif

I only modified the electric parts after getting bored of the same sound all those years. I'm thinking about buying a new guitar this year as I'm so attached to it I don't want to play it outside my house anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 6 2013, 11:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ibanez is probably the most shred-considered guitar out there. That's what it seems like anyway. I'd pop down to different stores if I were you. Check out a few guitars, see what you like.

I have a Schecter which I'm very happy with, and they make some nice looking guitars as well:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/catalog/201...er-Catalog.aspx

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2013, 11:36 PM
Welcome to GMC!! smile.gif As many folks have said, IBANEZ is a good place to start looking smile.gif I'm a big fan of their guitars because of the thin necks and jumbo frets. What price range are you looking at? Maybe the S series IRON LABEL Ibanez?

Todd

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 6 2013, 01:39 PM) *
Hi, thank you for a good Website:)

Im new here, joined this website yesterday. Im from Sweden, northerend Europe, i have played electric guitar about fifteen years and i am very fascinated of fast picking technique, arpeggios and so on:)
For the moment im playing on a Gibson Les paul signed Gary Moore, wonderful guitar.
Im in a rush for a new guitar, "fast playing guitar" and i wonder if you have some suggestions of a descent guitar. I have some thoughts about Steve Vais Ibanez or something equal. I want a guitar that is made for fast picking, arpeggios and so on.

If you have some suggestions of a descent guitar i would be very pleased:)

My english is quite poor, i hope you understand me:)

Best regards: Anders

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 7 2013, 02:29 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 6 2013, 10:36 PM) *
Welcome to GMC!! smile.gif As many folks have said, IBANEZ is a good place to start looking smile.gif I'm a big fan of their guitars because of the thin necks and jumbo frets. What price range are you looking at? Maybe the S series IRON LABEL Ibanez?

Todd

Hi there, the price range would be maximum 2000 dollars. Which Ibanez model would you buy if u had that range of money?

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 7 2013, 03:38 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 6 2013, 10:14 PM) *
Ibanez is probably the most shred-considered guitar out there. That's what it seems like anyway. I'd pop down to different stores if I were you. Check out a few guitars, see what you like.

I have a Schecter which I'm very happy with, and they make some nice looking guitars as well:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/catalog/201...er-Catalog.aspx

Looks nice, ill keep an eye open for that guitar, ever tried it, but i will.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 7 2013, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 6 2013, 04:12 PM) *

That is one beautiful top!

Wish I had some pictures of my other ones I owned. I had an Alexi-600 , Dean Dime-O-Flame , Gibson LP , and Explorer as well.

We all can tell you what great guitars are all day long. What we prefer to play and so on. To me the question is what guitar wants you? Over that collection they all were amazing guitars, my list goes from like $500 to upwards of guitars around $4,000.

I've been asked the question of how didn't you like this or didn't like that? They all were amazing guitars, all of them had exactly what people would point out. Out of the box, Gibson big tones? Yep correct! PRS/MusicMan can shred well but very versatile? Very much so! Alexi-600/Dime-O-Flame great cheaper ranged guitars that play incredibly well? Sure were! Ibanez crazy thin necks and speed? Hecks Yeah!

I've gone from a medium neck to a super thick neck, all the way back down into a thin neck. I feel through my journey you don't really pick the guitar. The guitar picks you. Just something that says hey you feel perfect in my hands. That's good because I really like you in return also.

As for my currents they are the Ibanez ones. Only thing I did was upgrade the pickups in the S to BKP Blackhawks, everything else is stock.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 7 2013, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Ibanez is probably most safe choice but If You have an opportunity You have to try Hufschmids and Mayones guitar...really nice gear even though different style. both have descent playability even for some shred sftuff but they feels different while playing and both are worth trying

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 7 2013, 06:04 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hufschmids and Mayones, funny i've never heard thoose names:) If i see them, i will try them. I'll visit some music shops tomorrow and try some guitars, i will write down my thoughts tomorrow:)

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Nov 7 2013, 08:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Has anyone ever tried Suhr model guitars, I know Guthrie Govan plays one!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2013, 03:49 AM
You are unlikely to find either of those brands in your local store smile.gif Both are very high end, custom guitars (E.G. hand made and very expensive). The Huf is so rare you may live and die and never actually touch one. The mayo is a bit less rare but only just. I frequent every music/pawn shop within 100 miles of where I live and I've never seen either one in the racks. Essentially, these guitars cost what a decent used compact car would cost in most countries. They are NOT starter guitars.

That said, if you have that kind of money, you can't go wrong with either one smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 7 2013, 12:04 PM) *
Hufschmids and Mayones, funny i've never heard thoose names:) If i see them, i will try them. I'll visit some music shops tomorrow and try some guitars, i will write down my thoughts tomorrow:)

I think I remember somebody here had one at some point but I can't remember who it was. Hmm. But still, SUHR guitars are legendary for their high quality and great tone. It's hard to go wrong with a Suhr smile.gif

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Nov 7 2013, 02:35 PM) *
Has anyone ever tried Suhr model guitars, I know Guthrie Govan plays one!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 8 2013, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Indeed ...Todd. I didn't consider availbility in other countries. I knew Mayo trade with some U.S distributors but I have no idea how it looks in practice so thanx for the info Todd! Aside from Ibanez (prestige) I would also advice to try some Schecters. You might find Yourself satisfied with even much cheaper guitar then Your starting budget considered.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 8 2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor
It all depends on your budget as well smile.gif So, to sum things up - take these aspects into consideration:

- how much are you willing to spend
- the feel of the guitar - if someone plays fast with it, it doesn't mean you will too - choose a guitar that fits your hands
- the tone - if a guitar sounds the way you like it, it might not be as speed comfy as others but the tone will drive you to study hard and achieve the right technique - for instance Doug Aldrich is shredding on a Les Paul smile.gif

Having these things in mind, go out there and choose your weapon smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 8 2013, 01:41 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Well, rescently home after a trip. Ibanez S prestige:

https://www.google.se/search?q=ibanez+s+pre...4%3B1126%3B1126

Very nice guitar, i like the comfort and the singel pickup in the middle. Do you have any objections against this guitar smile.gif
i think i will develop my playing with that guitar, and i got a descent price for it.

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 8 2013, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:05 AM