Power Attenuator, How much will it lower the volume?
Xuestor
Feb 29 2008, 06:40 PM
GMC:er
Hey!

I'm thinking of buying a power attenuator, and just wondering how much it really lowers the volume?

For instance, will it be able to handle a cranked 100w tube head and give the volume level of a, say, 10-15w tube amp?

And whats the recommended models/brand etc?

Will I be able to get something for less than 300 USD? Or 2000 SEK?

EDIT: I see there are different ohm levels of the attenuators, is this the level of noisereduction, or is this just a figure that should be matched with the cab?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Feb 29 2008, 06:42 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Mar 1 2008, 02:24 AM
The ohmic quantity is to do with the voltage and current used by the attenuator, its got nothing todo with noise or music or anything, its something to do with Electricity, and i suppose it doesnt really matter if the ohm levels are different, i mean i doubt everything thats running in and to your amp has the exact same ohmic qualities

I cant really help you when it comes to the actual attenuators, just thought that would help

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Mar 1 2008, 02:34 AM
Hm, I don't know much about them. I was thinking about getting one myself, any gear experts here?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2008, 04:29 PM
Instructor
I think maybe Andrew can answer this... He built his own amp, so I guess he knows a lot about this kind of stuff. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Xethman
Mar 1 2008, 05:34 PM
You have to get the attenuator with an ohms rating matched to your amp, this is why they sell several versions of the same unit (THD hotplate).

This requirement is for proper loading of your amplifier; screw it up and you can damage your amp.

Ohms will affect how loud your amp is... but I suspect not in the way you may be thinking, so put that out of the equation and think of proper amp loading only.

Study watts, decibels etc to better understand how they relate to sound intensities and perceived loudness. Again, I suspect that the reality is different that what you may be thinking.

This post has been edited by Xethman: Mar 1 2008, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 1 2008, 05:44 PM
I have tried out 2 different models.
1.THD hotplate=tone sucker
2. DR.Z= tone sucker

Not impressed by these units at all. I think (IMHO) a lot of tone is lost by not moving the volume of air that speakers do at higher volume. Tubes being run hot make some difference but dont discount what the speakers are doing.
They will take away volume from your rig but alot more as well.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Xethman
Mar 2 2008, 07:21 AM
Yes USAMAN... people expect these units to make their amps sound the same as a cranked amp. They just don't. People should be realistic and expect an improvement in sound, due to tube saturation, but not the same sound as their amp cranked. Part of the reason I bought an ENGL was because they sound good at low volumes, and thus a power attenuator was not needed.

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 2 2008, 07:38 AM
bias your tubes really hot will give u better sound at lower levels, but expect to change your power tubes often..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:21 AM