2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Technique Is Giving You The Most Trouble?
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 6 2012, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Let's discuss here what guitar techniques are giving you troubles and let's find the reasons and solutions to this issues. We always say here that the main secret to improve as a guitar player and musician is practice, but sometimes there are things that we are practising in the wrong way and just some feedback could avoid us of a lot of unnecessary extra practice.

Please share your experiences!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 6 2012, 05:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gabriel !

A good idea your new thread i hope there come a lot of posts i can learn from rolleyes.gif

My actually biggest problem i see by myself is using and playing real chords because i just did not do it really

all the time i learn guitar now .

As you know some of them a re real finger kama sutra for me biggrin.gif

I must put more discipline in my study`s.

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 6 2012, 05:39 PM
Nice topic biggrin.gif

I'm getting stuck with hand synchronisation (already trying to fix it with Ben's Lesson Hand Synch, and I have big trouble with my little finger, notes which are played consecutively with the ring finger and the little finger are hard to make them sound clean when speed increases) and to make out a cool chord progression, not power chords, which are easy but barre chords and all the "sub-chords" coming from barre chords.

This post has been edited by Christophe: Nov 6 2012, 05:40 PM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
derper
Nov 6 2012, 07:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
For me it's always "learning theory/intervals/chord formulas".

Not really a technique, but it's what I NEED to learn, but always seem to shy away from because it bores me and I have a tough time learning it.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 6 2012, 07:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Mixing alt picking with hammer ons and pull offs in runs and arpeggio ideas

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 6 2012, 09:17 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Awesome topic Gab smile.gif Sweep picking is giving me the most trouble. The two problems I have with sweep picking are
1) No matter how much I practice, I can't do it fast enough.
2) I can't apply sweep picking in my improvisations right on the spot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 7 2012, 12:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
perfectly synced picking , even with slow speeds . over the years I have developed pretty good legato but that speed presents a bad problem when I am trying to sync at slow speeds my fingers automatically catch up and slow down to stay on tempo thus not letting me develop perfect synchronicity

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 7 2012, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (derper @ Nov 6 2012, 06:47 PM) *

Not really a technique, but it's what I NEED to learn, but always seem to shy away from because it bores me and I have a tough time learning it.

We differ on that, I find theory really fascinating, and even better when I can apply it to real music.

In Ben's chat last night he played a backing track in G major but then it shifted and the chord sequence was Eb and F, a light bulb went off in my head and I saw how you can modulate to the parallel minor (G Minor) in a sequence and how it sounds cool.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 7 2012, 09:45 AM
GMC:er
You've opened a pandora box here,Gabriel.Easily the thing that frustrates me most is my inability to play fast runs ie anything over 480npm.Ive been stuck below this for a year

+Quote Post
Bossie
Nov 7 2012, 10:03 AM
Too much things to mention for me here..but while practicing those delicate things you tend to forget the basics.
You would be suprised about shredders who are always working on shred techniques while they probably suck at some ordinary decent clean strumming patterns... wink.gif

Never forget the basics!!!!

+Quote Post
Ravindran
Nov 7 2012, 11:59 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 6 2012, 07:57 PM) *
Hey guys! Let's discuss here what guitar techniques are giving you troubles and let's find the reasons and solutions to this issues. We always say here that the main secret to improve as a guitar player and musician is practice, but sometimes there are things that we are practising in the wrong way and just some feedback could avoid us of a lot of unnecessary extra practice.

Please share your experiences!

Thanks for starting this discussion! a number of techniques give me trouble sad.gif

The basic pull-off technique is an area of weakness for me. The pulled-off note never sounds as loud and clear as the note from which it was pulled off. The string sometimes gets entangled with the calluses while pulling-off. With multiple pull-offs in legato technique, I am unable to sustain the sound for subsequent pull-offs. This apart the unwanted neighbhouring string noise is also a nuisance. On the whole I dont seem to be doing it right at all!

Regards
Ravi

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 02:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 6 2012, 01:13 PM) *
Hello Gabriel !

A good idea your new thread i hope there come a lot of posts i can learn from rolleyes.gif

My actually biggest problem i see by myself is using and playing real chords because i just did not do it really

all the time i learn guitar now .

As you know some of them a re real finger kama sutra for me biggrin.gif

I must put more discipline in my study`s.

Dieter

Hi Dierter, yes, we are working on this at the Army's thread. Your finger will be more used to play and change chords with some practice. There some chords that still give me trouble because I've never practiced them. Remember to practice just keeping the left hand position for some time to stretch your fingers.

QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 6 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Nice topic biggrin.gif

I'm getting stuck with hand synchronisation (already trying to fix it with Ben's Lesson Hand Synch, and I have big trouble with my little finger, notes which are played consecutively with the ring finger and the little finger are hard to make them sound clean when speed increases) and to make out a cool chord progression, not power chords, which are easy but barre chords and all the "sub-chords" coming from barre chords.

Well, both hands sync is one of the most difficult things when you are playing Alternate picking technique. I discovered that Ben's lesson yesterday and I have to say that it's a great choice for this. Finger 3 and 4 are the silliest ones, they are two dependent of each other and you have to play boring 34 34 34 34 techniques exercises to train them.

What chord is giving trouble for example?

QUOTE (derper @ Nov 6 2012, 03:47 PM) *

This is very normal. The trick here is make yourself learn one concept every day...when you are going to start playing guitar... take the first 5 / 10 minutes to learn something about theory... try to apply it into your guitar, if you are learning triads, play them in all positions, try them over a backing track. You don't have to be 2 hours learning theory if you don't enjoy it but if you just do it some minutes every day, you will learn a lot after one year. wink.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 6 2012, 03:48 PM) *

Does this happen in your improvisations or in lessons that you want to learn?

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 6 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Awesome topic Gab smile.gif Sweep picking is giving me the most trouble. The two problems I have with sweep picking are
1) No matter how much I practice, I can't do it fast enough.
2) I can't apply sweep picking in my improvisations right on the spot.

Sweep Picking! How are you working it? What exercises do you practice?

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 6 2012, 08:57 PM) *
perfectly synced picking , even with slow speeds . over the years I have developed pretty good legato but that speed presents a bad problem when I am trying to sync at slow speeds my fingers automatically catch up and slow down to stay on tempo thus not letting me develop perfect synchronicity

I assume that you are talking about alternate picking technique. Practicing with metronome of over a backing track is the way to go for this... there are many Sync exercises at my ITC, you have to start slowly and be patient because the only way to get sync is feeling comfortable with the tempo.

Also check out this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 7 2012, 05:21 AM) *
We differ on that, I find theory really fascinating, and even better when I can apply it to real music.

In Ben's chat last night he played a backing track in G major but then it shifted and the chord sequence was Eb and F, a light bulb went off in my head and I saw how you can modulate to the parallel minor (G Minor) in a sequence and how it sounds cool.

Good thinking! It doesn't make sense to learn something if you don't know how to apply it...

QUOTE (tonyk @ Nov 7 2012, 05:45 AM) *
You've opened a pandora box here,Gabriel.Easily the thing that frustrates me most is my inability to play fast runs ie anything over 480npm.Ive been stuck below this for a year

You need some speed exercises mate.. we can work on it if you want. wink.gif

check this course. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=42832

QUOTE (Bossie @ Nov 7 2012, 06:03 AM) *
Too much things to mention for me here..but while practicing those delicate things you tend to forget the basics.
You would be suprised about shredders who are always working on shred techniques while they probably suck at some ordinary decent clean strumming patterns... wink.gif

Never forget the basics!!!!

Great post Bossie!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Ravindran @ Nov 7 2012, 07:59 AM) *
Thanks for starting this discussion! a number of techniques give me trouble sad.gif

The basic pull-off technique is an area of weakness for me. The pulled-off note never sounds as loud and clear as the note from which it was pulled off. The string sometimes gets entangled with the calluses while pulling-off. With multiple pull-offs in legato technique, I am unable to sustain the sound for subsequent pull-offs. This apart the unwanted neighbhouring string noise is also a nuisance. On the whole I dont seem to be doing it right at all!

Regards
Ravi

Hi Ravi, I would like to see a video of you playing this technique to see if I can help you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 7 2012, 03:37 PM
Learning Roadie

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 6 2012, 03:48 PM)

I first noticed it in the Little Finger Workout lesson, I just wanted to Alt Pick the piece entirely. I also found it in my composition for Modern Metal when I did the arpeggio type licks on the 2nd Am part, I realised hammering on with my little finger would make things 'theoretically' easier, but could I stop my self picking the notes? No

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 04:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 7 2012, 11:37 AM) *
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 6 2012, 03:48 PM)

I first noticed it in the Little Finger Workout lesson, I just wanted to Alt Pick the piece entirely. I also found it in my composition for Modern Metal when I did the arpeggio type licks on the 2nd Am part, I realised hammering on with my little finger would make things 'theoretically' easier, but could I stop my self picking the notes? No

ah I see.. have you checked these series?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...g_intermediate/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_advanced/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 7 2012, 05:03 PM
No matter what chord it is, I can't play them fast, I have to put 10 seconds to play each one.

For instance :

Or

Or

Or

etc.. etc...

This post has been edited by Christophe: Nov 7 2012, 05:05 PM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 7 2012, 05:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I have, I got through the first one, the reason being, that each run is either alt picking or Legato rather than mixing it up in the same run

This is the sort of thing I mean, where he mixes licks and runs with alt picking and HO and POs

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 05:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 7 2012, 01:03 PM) *
No matter what chord it is, I can't play them fast, I have to put 10 seconds to play each one.

For instance :

Or

Or

Or

etc.. etc...

Ok, you should write down progressions and practice over metronome or drum loop starting at very slow tempos, and playing once each chord. Start using 1 or 2 shapes and then combine more of them. Let me know if you need help creating the progressions!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 05:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 7 2012, 01:04 PM) *
I have, I got through the first one, the reason being, that each run is either alt picking or Legato rather than mixing it up in the same run

This is the sort of thing I mean, where he mixes licks and runs with alt picking and HO and POs

Ah ok, those cool repetitive licks. That video includes many cool ones. It takes some time of practice to master this ones at those fast tempos, but practicing every day for at least 30 minutes is the way to go.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
tike1993
Nov 7 2012, 05:43 PM
Pinch harmonics, just dont get them!!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tike1993 @ Nov 7 2012, 01:43 PM) *
Pinch harmonics, just dont get them!!!

Have you seen this lesson?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pinch-Harmonics-Workout/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:39 PM