2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Speed Build
Braer
May 17 2009, 12:44 PM
GMC:er
how long does it take to get decent speed picking? (for an avrage guitar player)

i have been practicing a speed lick for intense rock that goes like:

E: --------------12--14--15
B: 12--13--15--------------

but i dont feel i get annywhere with it:(

after i have got it to speed, how can i use it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 17 2009, 01:22 PM
Instructor
That lick is in key of Em or G.
So you can use it whenever you play in those keys.
If you move whole lick 2 frets down per example it'd be in key of Dm of F.
I cannot tell you how long does something take,
it's very individual and depends mostly on you,
keep working and result will come. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 17 2009, 01:53 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Braer @ May 17 2009, 01:44 PM) *
how long does it take to get decent speed picking? (for an avrage guitar player)

i have been practicing a speed lick for intense rock that goes like:

E: --------------12--14--15
B: 12--13--15--------------

but i dont feel i get annywhere with it:(

after i have got it to speed, how can i use it?

Well dont expect, that you will be shreddign in two months with alternate picking - go fo tapping then, if you want it that fast.. but still AP is necesarry smile.gif

Also dont expect that just by practicing this one lick you will get fast. Much faster and more fun IMO is to just learn whole lessons with more techniques at once thus improving all slowly - there is lesser chance you will create bad habit (f. example playing just economy or just alternate picking/ not being able to do artififticial harmonics etc.).

But at speedpicking, the speed advancement depends also on if you practice it as alternate (up-down-up-down even if you go from string on string ) or economy (when you progress on adjecent sting you always play down, if you the string is lower or up if the string is higher). From slow towards moderate, the progress at economy was faster for me (in slower speed its easier) and from moderate towads high the constant up-down-up-down motion is more natural .

But thats all just for me. give it a few weeks and you will see improvement, give it few months and all around you will see it.. Just practice it seriously every day..

Btw. all this worked for me.. for others it may be different smile.gif

EDIT: About how to use it - study theory.. or tell us more about what you know about music and we can guide you what to look for.. also recording of your playing would help us help you as well. There is no sense to just tell you this and that... if you want to get somewhere, you have to learn most things on your own and "experience" them.

There is no recipe for great guitar player you have to find your own style, scales and licks:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 17 2009, 01:57 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 02:08 PM
thanks! ill take a record as soon as i got cam

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 03:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mx09HqSVg...re=channel_page

this is me playing 2 exersices.

1:

E:-----------------12--------
B:---12--13--15-----15--13

E:----------------12--14--15-
B:--12--13--15--------------

what do you think? how much more should i practice them before I go on more "advanced" stuff?

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
May 17 2009, 04:03 PM
Practice with a metronome and make sure all the notes are of the same lenght.
Start out slowly and then gradually increase the tempo, but watch the rhythm! When you reach a tempo where you can't keep a steady rhythm with the picking, just go one notch back.
Make sure you get all the notes ringing out clearly!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 04:04 PM
ok, thanks!

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
May 17 2009, 04:05 PM
Don't be afraid to try some longer alternate picking licks, but don't force the speed, rather concentrate on keeping a steady rhythm and you'll gain speed with time!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 04:22 PM
ok, what BPM do you think i should start at?

but, after a while my second finger starts to hurt,sad.gif what should i do?

This post has been edited by Braer: May 17 2009, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 17 2009, 04:25 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Braer @ May 17 2009, 05:17 PM) *
ok, what BPM do you think i should start at?

That BMP, where you will be in time. You CAN actually play fast at the moment - your playing there wasnt slow, it was just uneven.

Puking out thousands of nonsensial notes per second does not take any skill. Playing even few right notes in right timing is what does - and that is the difference between bad and good player. I guess you strive for the latter, thus you have to start that slow, when ALL the notes will be clear and precisely played smile.gif

And speed is very relative.. at 60 bpm, 16th notes triplets are slow, at 180 bpm, quarter notes are slow.. its about sound. Even slowly good lick sounds good¨- but it has to be precise.

Regarding that video you posted, did you see what were you doing wrong? (Regarding playing on time). If you feel, that your rythm was not correct?

Just look at Kris's 101 speedpicking and metronome lessons lessons he tells all in there.

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 17 2009, 04:28 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 04:28 PM
thank you biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Braer: May 17 2009, 04:39 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 17 2009, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (Braer @ May 17 2009, 04:28 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mx09HqSVg...re=channel_page

this is me playing 2 exersices.

1:

E:-----------------12--------
B:---12--13--15-----15--13

E:----------------12--14--15-
B:--12--13--15--------------

what do you think? how much more should i practice them before I go on more "advanced" stuff?

Practising this one too. Set metronome at 3/4. And at first click you Play 12 @ B string, at second click 12 @ E string. I'm at 110 Bpm:) You?

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 04:59 PM
i dident get that right^^

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 17 2009, 05:00 PM
? What do you mean?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 05:02 PM
metronome at 3/4? i cant affort real metronome so i use http://www.metronomeonline.com/ ^^

This post has been edited by Braer: May 17 2009, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 17 2009, 05:06 PM
That one aint good for triplets! I use a downloaded one too. Letme find it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 05:09 PM
biggrin.gif Thanks !

This post has been edited by Braer: May 17 2009, 05:09 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 17 2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.download32.com/free-metronome-i20663.html Should work. I can ask Artmeus/Deeproots, on of em send me a good metronome.. can't remmber where.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 17 2009, 05:11 PM
thanks!

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 18 2009, 02:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Jesse @ May 17 2009, 05:10 PM) *
http://www.download32.com/free-metronome-i20663.html Should work. I can ask Artmeus/Deeproots, on of em send me a good metronome.. can't remmber where.

I think that one is ok but only allows you to set the metronome at 10bpm intervals. A free metronome that I use on the PC is this one:
http://www.tabguitarlessons.com/free-metronome.htm
You can set it to any speed upto 240bpm and it has beat emphasis. The other useful feature which may help is that it has a timer so you can set it to, say, 5 minutes - which means you can focus on what you're playing without any thoughts of "how long should I play this for"
Regarding the lick you're practising - I think it will help you greatly to accent certain notes to develop your sense of rhythm, which in turn will do wonders for your accuracy. So for example if you're playing these as triplets or in compound time then you could accent the first B (first note of lick 1) or the B and the E
These licks looks like the Paul Gilbert Intense Rock exercises - if so, the difficulty is in the upstroke/string-change in which case focus time on analysing how you're playing it and try to maximise efficiency of movement.
By the way - I use these exercises too and have done for a few years. It will not come over night I'm afraid, but it will come.

The biggest tip I can give you is this: Don't aim for speed - aim for accuracy

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:41 PM