Beginning To Second Guess My Marshall
bmh1109
Jan 27 2008, 04:34 AM
GMC:er
Well since early December I've been rocking out with my Marshall TSL60 and it is a great amp. However while it is a great amp Im not sure its the right great amp for me. The solo tone is just to grainy sounding to me. I recently hear a TSL100 in person and boy thats a different beast. Ive also realized the effects loops is a parallel effects loop limiting how much i can mix into my amps sound to about 50%. thus making my idea of a TC electronics G-major seem not such a good idea anymore.

Im beginning to wonder if somthing like the Spider Valve HD100 is more my style. What do you guys think?? am i crazy or would selling my marshall to get a spider valve be a bad idea?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:36 AM
Learning Roadie
There's lots of other amps as well as spider valves to try. Sorry to hear you're not as crazy about your marshall. Can I still play it if I'm near hickory tongue.gif

Try checking out some laneys, at least to start.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Jan 27 2008, 04:38 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 26 2008, 10:36 PM) *
There's lots of other amps as well as spider valves to try. Sorry to hear you're not as crazy about your marshall. Can I still play it if I'm near hickory tongue.gif

Try checking out some laneys, at least to start.

Yeah im sure I'll hang on to the marshall for a while until i can either get up the nerve to sell it or once i get a bit more money to put with it so i can get something i really want. So yeah I'll be here waiting, and hey, if you like it enough it can be yours for the right price tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Jan 26 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Yeah im sure I'll hang on to the marshall for a while until i can either get up the nerve to sell it or once i get a bit more money to put with it so i can get something i really want. So yeah I'll be here waiting, and hey, if you like it enough it can be yours for the right price tongue.gif

Is it possibly the cab thats causing the sound problem? Just a thought.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Jan 27 2008, 04:47 AM
i don't think so. Can 2 vintage 30's sound bad??? wink.gif ive hooke my carvin up to this cab is it sound excellent for cleans with that amp. im thinking its just that style of marshall distortion. just minus some of the "balls" you'd expect out of a tube marshall. I think thats kinda my main complaint.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 05:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Jan 26 2008, 03:47 PM) *
i don't think so. Can 2 vintage 30's sound bad??? wink.gif ive hooke my carvin up to this cab is it sound excellent for cleans with that amp. im thinking its just that style of marshall distortion. just minus some of the "balls" you'd expect out of a tube marshall. I think thats kinda my main complaint.

I guess not tongue.gif V30s are pretty awesome. How do you like your carvin?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Jan 27 2008, 05:17 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 26 2008, 11:07 PM) *
I guess not tongue.gif V30s are pretty awesome. How do you like your carvin?

the carvin is my replacement for a good fender clean amp and its awesome at that. Overdrive channel kinda sucks but clean is great. VERY responsive to touch and picking style, it was good find in the good ole IWANNA local paper

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2008, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear that man. I too had some issues about the Marshall sound in one period, just because of his character - I needed something more smoother and not grainey sounding too, like Vox. BUT as times past by I really got used to that sound so much that today Marshalls are my favorites and can make any sound of them if I want to wink.gif So I suggest you wait a little and play that amp for another year - don't change it too fast man, give it time to really know it and work through it as much as you can. You will find out soon that you can really get whatever sound you want from it.
Also if you wanna Spider Valve, sure why not, I think the amp is more versatile. But IMHO I don't think Spider Valve has as near as much of a character as TSL60.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 27 2008, 04:36 PM
Try switching the tubes. I wasn't that fond of my 6505 til I switched the tubes. I'm not lying when I say it went from 'Meh' to 'OMG!'.

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 17 2008, 11:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey man, hows things with the marshall tongue.gif

Lately I've been really searching some more for an amp I really want and I've been looking for stuff thats just a bit over what my budget was before.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSL602/

Well, so far the top contender is the tsl602, which if I'm not mistaken is the 2x12 combo version of your amp. So any more info you have would be nice tongue.gif I was thinking, if its a little too grainy (which can be very nice for a bluesy thing, or at least I like it) you can always kick in say a tube screamer couldn't you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Feb 19 2008, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Feb 17 2008, 05:04 PM) *
Hey man, hows things with the marshall tongue.gif

Lately I've been really searching some more for an amp I really want and I've been looking for stuff thats just a bit over what my budget was before.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSL602/

Well, so far the top contender is the tsl602, which if I'm not mistaken is the 2x12 combo version of your amp. So any more info you have would be nice tongue.gif I was thinking, if its a little too grainy (which can be very nice for a bluesy thing, or at least I like it) you can always kick in say a tube screamer couldn't you?

Well the marshall is still doing exactly what marshalls do, playing loud and dirty. Im starting to get a bit of hiss, crackle, and popping sooo time for new tubes for sure. Im going to order some JJ's from Eurotubes.come they have a complete revalve kit for not too much. I'll be sure to update you after i get these new tubes in. I've also be in the market for a good OD pedal so ill keep you updated on that too

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 19 2008, 05:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks smile.gif I was looking at the barker direct drive pedal, looked like an amazing, smooth OD pedal for about $120. Then again there's a lot of that kind of thing floating around, fulltone and others for example and they all look cool and I haven't tried any of them tongue.gif But just judging from the sound clips I'd take a look at that one... I'm tempted to risk a purchase myself tongue.gif

I think I'm going to have my fender hot rod deluxe inspected. I haven't had a pro look it over since I bought it, so some of the hiss and buzz I get from it might be due to a needed tube replacement (though from what I have heard, thats kind of an inherent problem with that amp line). So let me know how the retubing goes.

At the same time, I'm still infatuated with the laney GH50L, just trying to cover all my bases unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Feb 19 2008, 07:36 PM
i understand trying to cover all the bases, i would have taken any amp i could get my hands on in that price range because i wanted a good distortion channel so badly Luckily for me i found that Marshall head for a great deal and i scooped it up as quickly as possible. There are tons of other good choices out there and the Laney is def. one of them. I know these may be underrated somewhat but seriously check out the Crate V series amps. They have a 2x12 all tube combo that sounded phenomenal when i played it at the local Crate dealer. you owe it to yourself to just try one out if you can in person because they aren't that much money and you could end up saving some cash if it suits your taste.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28dWjt1euM

Crate V32 2x12 palamino with greenback clones... check out the tone there. KILLER

This post has been edited by bmh1109: Feb 19 2008, 07:39 PM

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:43 PM