New Song And Video Animation
Rammikin
Jul 22 2015, 01:12 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Here's a new song I've recorded to go with this video animation I made with Mandelbulb3d. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially regarding the composition and the mix.

https://vimeo.com/channels/somewheretohide

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2015, 02:43 AM
GMC:er
HOLY WOW!!! That looks amazing dude!! Can you upload it to youtube as well so we can embed it here in the thread? I know it won't look at good but it would be handy smile.gif

The 3d looks great and the audio goes with it perfectly! Can you walk us through your production process of creating all those tracks that make up the song?

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 21 2015, 08:12 PM) *
Here's a new song I've recorded to go with this video animation I made with Mandelbulb3d. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially regarding the composition and the mix.

https://vimeo.com/channels/somewheretohide

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 22 2015, 04:23 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks. Here are some notes on the production: This is one of my simpler songs (see others at the bottom of the page for more ambitious tracks), mostly just me and a guitar.

I was trying to get a heavy sound on this. I've been inspired by your experiments with pursuing a djent tone and I used my AxeFX on this with a variety of tones, but mostly Peavy 6505 and Mesa Dual Rectifier amps. (See Enlo's latest song for a brutal 6505+). But with something like this I think the cabinet is probably more important than the amp, so I spent a lot of time tone matching to get beefy sounding cabinets. The guitar is a Schechter Blackjack.

I used some plugins I wrote on this. In my experience, getting a heavy guitar sound on a track has a lot to do with the bass. In this case I used a couple of different Rock P-Bass sounds from Trilian, blended to give a full sound with a gritty edge. I went back and forth between this and the guitar a lot to get it heavy. But it's a journey and I'm always trying to find ways to improve the tone. In my experience you have to use a guitar tone that sounds thin on its own when trying to get a heavy sound this way. Some people record a thin guitar sound, but I like to record a beefy tone, then eq it in the mix to thin it out to go with the bass to create a heavy combined sound.

I used Superior for the drums, but I layered some drum sounds from Stylus RMX. I do that a lot where I send the drum midi track to both Superior and Stylus, especially for the snare where I used a pair of nasty snare sounds from Stylus, panned left and right to add some width and depth to the snares.

There's just a little synth from Omnisphere on this to add some interest. Some audio cutting in the breakdown adds some ethereal sounds. One thing I like to do is keep the mix narrow in the verses, then spread it wider at climactic moments in the song. I put in some odd time signatures here and there for variety.

Glad you like it. My goal is to someday have my guitar playing catch up to my production skills smile.gif.

P.S. I'll look into putting it on youtube, but yeah, I suspect both the audio and video would suffer.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2015, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Ram!! Congrats on this new videoclip! It's great!! I love the 3d animation that you created for this one. Does it take a lot of time to program an animation like this one? I remember using 3D studio max in the past and it took me a lot of time to design the shapes and then animate them.

The song is also really cool and goes perfect with the video. Your mix sounds good but I feel that drums and also guitar could have more bass frequencies to make everything sound fatter. I think that equalizing drums, mostly kick and snare to sound with more bass frequencies. This will give more bass to your mix and I also think that drums will sound more natural and real.

About guitars, I think that your guitar are also lacking some low frequencies but maybe this is also related to the fact that this style is usually played with 7/8 strings guitars... I don't think that guitars are usually recorded without low frequencies, or at least that's not what I use to do with my band. The low cut is around 100 Hz, sometimes just a bit higher...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 24 2015, 06:22 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks, I have a tendency to sometimes be too timid with low frequencies. I'm always afraid there's a listening environment I didn't test where the bass will be overwhelming. But you're right, this is not the kind of track where you want to err on the side of too little bass. I'll try bringing up the low end.

Yes, that render took quite a while. 4 weeks running continuously on a 6 core MacPro!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2015, 05:38 AM
GMC:er
Youtube will now take up to 2k source files I believe and their 1080pHD has pretty good audio but by default, it won't look or sound as good as vimeo. But on the positive side, a LOT more people are likely to see it wink.gif Sadly, Vimeo has pretty minimal traffic compared to youtube despite the difference in quality. I'd say put up a full HD version on your youtube site and cross promote via Facebook/Twitter Etc. smile.gif it's got a very original look. You never know what will go viral so it's always worth a shot smile.gif

Very well done again and I look forward to your next cut!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:35 PM