What To Do When You Buy A New Guitar?, advices and tips
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2012, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Very nice and sweet day is when a new instrument arrives at our doorstep, or we carry it home from the store cool.gif Hard-earned instrument for many years of future playing. Here are some advices that can help you keep your instrument balanced, good looking and pleasant for use in many years to come:

- Do a proper setup: When first brought home, instrument is usually not in it's best setup condition. Player's preferences also differ, so you should spend some time analyzing what string gauge is good, what action is right, what whammy bar setup is good for you, what is the pickup height, what's the truss rod adjustment, what's the intonation, and all that stuff. Personally, I like to disband the whole guitar, every screw, and put it all together, to it's nice and tight. I also like to vacuum-clean the cavities for any wood chip leftovers, and make it look clean and neat.
- Install straplock: This is a cheap investment, but if you have a good instrument that you don't need falling down on stage when you start moving, it's best to install straplocks. You can do it yourself, it's an easy task.
- Check your guitar in as many amps as possible: If you have the chance, go into several studios, and see how your new guitar works on different amps. This experience will help you determine the type of amp that works best with your axe, so you can choose your gear more wisely when you come to unfamiliar stage/studio/shop.
- Keep your instrument clean: If you want to keep your guitar clean and nice looking for a number of years, always keep a cloth nearby, and clean it after every playing session. This will help your guitar stay in mint condition as long as possible. Having one mint-looking guitar is always good.
- Ask around: Regardless of what you think you know about your axe, experienced player's advice can sometimes mean a world of difference. Whenever you have the chance, ask players about your axe, what is their "expert opinion" about it. This will help you relate to your guitar better.
- Take time to learn to do a setup: taking a guitar to guitar tech is OK, but often it requires time and money spent. You can save some money by learning to do a setup yourself. It's not that hard, and you will need to do small fine-tuning anyway after the guitar tech.
- Make your guitar unique looking: If you have the chance, make your guitar unique in a way. Some people prefer original look, but if you manage to make your guitar unique looking, people (and other musicians) will remember it (you) more easily, which can sometimes mean a lot.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jan 27 2012, 03:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've had my Ibanez for a couple years now and I do love it but I have always kind of felt that there are a couple things that don't feel as smooth or as easy as it should. Not really sure how to explain it. I've never done any type of setup done since I've had it so I'm sure there are a couple things that are needed.

I've been nervous about messing around with the guitar setup myself for fear of REALLY screwing something up but I'm sure there are tutorials out there on how to do these different things. Maybe I'll make it a weekend project and see what I can do! ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Sure, there are various YT tutorials made by pros for each of these jobs, so it shouldn't be a problem! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 27 2012, 05:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks, Ivan. The thing is having the patience to do all this. biggrin.gif

Much like when I got my Jackson in 2009, I just got to business. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jan 27 2012, 05:56 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 27 2012, 06:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 27 2012, 11:55 AM) *
Thanks, Ivan. The thing is having the patience to do all this. biggrin.gif

Much like when I got my Jackson in 2009, I just got to business. biggrin.gif

hehehe you even filmed it, that's cool smile.gif

I think this is really good advice and I should follow it as well biggrin.gif

I really think it's really important to play the guitar in the store, and NOT buy it online because you never know if the neck is the apropiate for you or a whole bunch of things more,

Also, buy a guitar for YOUR needs, and not just because you are going to look cool and your friends are going to be impressed, I mean, that's cool too, but in the end it's a long term investment and the thrill is going to wear off leaving you only with the funcionality of it, so think about what you need it for, first, and then the looks and appeal thing, well, that's my opinion

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 28 2012, 04:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 27 2012, 06:51 PM) *
hehehe you even filmed it, that's cool smile.gif

I think this is really good advice and I should follow it as well biggrin.gif

I really think it's really important to play the guitar in the store, and NOT buy it online because you never know if the neck is the apropiate for you or a whole bunch of things more,

Also, buy a guitar for YOUR needs, and not just because you are going to look cool and your friends are going to be impressed, I mean, that's cool too, but in the end it's a long term investment and the thrill is going to wear off leaving you only with the funcionality of it, so think about what you need it for, first, and then the looks and appeal thing, well, that's my opinion

Wise words. I agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 30 2012, 08:46 AM
Instructor
I also agree with Daniel and thanks to Ivan for the great advice! Anyway, my idea of buying a guitar, would be to go over in Germany at Thomann and spend a day (or 2 or maybe 3 laugh.gif ) in that HUGE music shop. I think I could get a little tent and sleep over there so I could test each and every guitar available and interesting for me.

I have a friend who's buying guitars ALL the time and selling them afterwards if he doesn't like them. At first I thought he is a bit insane, but afterwards, I realized that it was the only way of getting to know if an instrument suits your needs. Well, the effort is greater, as you have to pay a lot of cash sometimes to get your hands on some expensive beauties and then sell them if they are not for you, but you'll get to understand more about yourself as a player and your needs, if you can afford to approach this idea like this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:07 AM