Technique Of Playing Chords With Muted Strings In The Middle Of The Chord
Guitar1969
Jul 12 2008, 06:30 AM
GMC:er
I have always been confused on how to play chords where one or more of the middle strings is "x"d out on the tab, such as:

E
B
G
D 9
A x
E 7

I know your suppossed to apply light pressure on that string but play the normal chord(In this case above, B Barre chord), and the particular note on the A string would not ring out, but can someone direct me to a lesson where this is introduced at a beginner level. I am not sure what video lesson would contain this technique since its actually part of chords section but is a somewhat unique technique. Is there a specific name for it.

Sorry for my bad description - just goes to show you how little I know about it.

Thanks,

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Jul 12 2008, 07:30 AM
That's an Octave. Similar to a Power Chord. But, instead... you mute the middle string (where the X is). I mute it with my index finger (which hangs over on the A string, while still holding pressure on the E -String... A few lessons have them here. I've seen a lot of people use them... But, Check out the "Winding Roads" lesson (Video 7) to see a cool sliding sequence using these type of chords.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 12 2008, 12:35 PM
Instructor
Check out my Muting Tutorial, I think you will find the answer.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 12 2008, 12:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Jul 12 2008, 08:30 AM) *
I mute it with my index finger (which hangs over on the A string, while still holding pressure on the E -String..

Another solution is use of ring finger(I guess) which is on D string,
or with both just to be sure,index and middle. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Jul 12 2008, 12:40 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 12 2008, 01:35 PM) *
Check out my Muting Tutorial, I think you will find the answer.

Yeah, Ivan is really good at that. laugh.gif
Even if you think at first you won't be able to make fast shred runs, because you have sooooo many strings to mute (almost five wink.gif ). A little bit Off-Topic, but is it necessary to mute the low E-string while playing the G-, B- or high E-String? I think no one has that uncontrolled movements. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Nazgul: Jul 12 2008, 12:42 PM

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2008, 12:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Nazgul @ Jul 12 2008, 01:40 PM) *
Yeah, Ivan is really good at that. laugh.gif
Even if you think at first you won't be able to make fast shred runs, because you have sooooo many strings to mute (almost five wink.gif ). A little bit Off-Topic, but is it necessary to mute the low E-string while playing the G-, B- or high E-String? I think no one has that uncontrolled movements. laugh.gif

Well, when you play the high strings, you probably get a little movement in all the strings, which might cause some unwanted noise.

Some notes especially makes other notes/strings ring out, I'd say - more than other. E.g. doing a hammer on from the 7th fret (E) on the A string to any given note won't be clean on less you mute the low E string.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
robbcorp
Jul 12 2008, 04:07 PM
To the OP, I like to use combination of my index and ring finger for muting that guy. Usually my index is lightly resting on that x'd A string but I try to have my ring apply a bit of pressure.

I dunno if you're into bands like Opeth but they use that technique everywhere, good practice smile.gif

This post has been edited by robbcorp: Jul 12 2008, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:33 PM