Pick Size, for beginner struming and arpeggio
glengraf88
Mar 12 2009, 04:11 AM
GMC:er
I was wondering what size pick evryone would use. I have tried a couple but nothing felt right.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
UncleSkillet
Mar 12 2009, 04:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'ts really a personnel thing and what ever feels good to you. I have found a heavier pick like .096mm or 1.00mm felt pretty good when I started. Now I use the Jazz III XL picks and I really like the way they feel.

A rule for me is thinner picks for stumming (like accoustic) and thicker ones for playing solo's.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 12 2009, 04:18 AM
dava master control picks are all i use.. best pick out there, ive been using the same pick for over 6 months, playing every night

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 12 2009, 04:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
I also use the Jazz III's and they are great for picking but like UncleSkillet said thinner are easier to use when it comes to strumming and also give a softer kind of vibe

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 12 2009, 04:34 AM
ok cool i think i will try a thinner pick for this lesson i was useing a 1mm i think ill try a .56 or something around there for this lesson.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Mar 12 2009, 06:28 AM
V-Picks Rule!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 12 2009, 09:46 AM
Dunlop 2.0mm (violet with a turtle image:) and I`m searching for something 2.2-2.4 (with very hard edges) it will be the best, maybe some ideas?
V-picks im my opinion just can`t be very fast, they`re too thick!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 12 2009, 09:49 AM

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Mar 12 2009, 10:15 AM
Instructor
I like a nice beefy pick, i use Jim Dunlop giant stubbies (2.0mm) I like the little divet in the middle of the pick too, makes it easier to grip.

I generally use those all the time, but....for occasions where i am going to be ALOT of strumming i use a thumbpick. That way it never slides out of my hand and i can get as crazy as i want to with strumming and its always going to be in the same position.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Canis
Mar 12 2009, 10:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
I use Jazz III's. I find them great for everything ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Mar 12 2009, 11:06 AM
Learning Roadie
v-pick medium pointed..

bought it by accident really.. i bought the "Fab Four Package" and a very thick pick, and noticed that i could get a little leather holder to sit with my keys.. This leather holder included the pick i now use and have been since i got them.. awesome pick..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 12 2009, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Small picks are not something that I can play with properly, so regular size ones are my choice.
From recently -
Dunlop Gator 0.96,

and before Dunlop Jazz III XL.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Mar 12 2009, 12:12 PM
I always use these ones, for me, they are the best !

Also use them for strumming, kinda like the rough sound tongue.gif

edit : found a smaller image smile.gif

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Mar 12 2009, 12:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 12 2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Mar 12 2009, 12:12 PM) *
I always use these ones, for me, they are the best !

Also use them for strumming, kinda like the rough sound tongue.gif

edit : found a smaller image smile.gif

+1 on 1.5 mm picks !

Besides that one I use a bit lighter pick which is 1.14 mm wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
Mar 12 2009, 01:19 PM
Black Dunlop Jazz III picks for me, all the way... biggrin.gif

I found that they have a slightly more rugged surface than the red ones mellow.gif , and give me a better grip.

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 12 2009, 03:18 PM
Jazz Instructor
For fast playing, thicker are better, though sound is also important, lighter picks give brighter sound!
Try every pick you can find!

+Quote Post
helo92
Mar 12 2009, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (GrannyKiller @ Mar 12 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Black Dunlop Jazz III picks for me, all the way... biggrin.gif

+1 to that smile.gif

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 12 2009, 08:18 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've tried Big Stubbys, Jazz IIIs, V-Picks, etc, and my favourite pick is a Stagg 0.71mm. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 12 2009, 08:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
V-picks all the way for me now. Tried out plenty of others, but v-picks are just great for me (started with the medium-rounded, but recently went to the small-pointed (which increased my speed considerably), the tone is really nice (and yes you can play very fast with a 2.75 mm pick! smile.gif )

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 12 2009, 08:51 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 12 2009, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Dunlop lucky 13 1.00 mm

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 12 2009, 09:07 PM
Lets go fishing!

For strumming guitarists often prefer lighter gauge flimsy picks, for speed picking thicker is best smile.gif I use Dunlop Gator grip 1.14 mm. I would advise stocking up on a few different varietys so you can try each out smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:50 AM