4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Monkeydathos Bootcamp, Hamburger Hill Will Look Like A Vacation By Comparison!
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2017, 12:07 PM
GMC:er
In this type of 3nps my right hand is fairly relax tbh. I can pick it at about 140 bpm (6 notes per beat) with fairly low tension and quite relaxed.
But then the left hand starts to cramp and getting tired and everything start to derail.

On the opposite point, your Zakk wylde 2nps pentatonic kinda lick, it really beats my right hand when it comes to tension.

But it's all about practicing. That being said, I shall post mission 4 in a couple of days from now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2017, 04:07 AM
Try to focus on keeping your hand relaxed rather than pushing the speed. The speed will come when you can keep your picking hand very relaxed no matter what the BPM is set to. Tensing up will actually reduce your top speed and burn out your hand much quicker. So forget about trying to play fast for now. Just focus on trying to play a bit more loose on the right hand. Enough to strike the string, nothing more. That's the key. Once you get that, the speed will take care of itself smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 19 2017, 07:07 AM) *
In this type of 3nps my right hand is fairly relax tbh. I can pick it at about 140 bpm (6 notes per beat) with fairly low tension and quite relaxed.
But then the left hand starts to cramp and getting tired and everything start to derail.

On the opposite point, your Zakk wylde 2nps pentatonic kinda lick, it really beats my right hand when it comes to tension.

But it's all about practicing. That being said, I shall post mission 4 in a couple of days from now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 15 2017, 06:49 PM
Hi Todd!
I am summer working atm to pay up music school monthly feeds.
I am far from being in my best shape biggrin.gif, my arms are full of small stabs from climbing trees and my fingers feel kind of slow and rigid from catching fruit all day.

Still managed to play like 1h of guitar every day.

So here is mission 4, actually this is more of a quick practice session rather than a final take, but seeing I am working with little time I decided to post it.
150 bpms 4 notes per beat ( I think)

Edit: The dream would be 20+bpms, still gotto practice.

Damn my bald spot seems to be getting worse every day unsure.gif RIP genetics.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 15 2017, 07:16 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 18 2017, 05:41 PM
Hi Todd, believe me or not. But i've played a 100 euros Epiphone SG Special all my life! (It survived traveling around the country, gig, a lot of story and my own blood on it). I am strong believer that if you have the skill you can make any guitar sound good.

But alas, bending the 22 fret so I can hit the 24 fret its quite no effective 80% of the time, even having to play that higher up (19-22 frets) can be a pain, especially on the lower strings.
Now I know you are a big Ibanez fan! And I don't have any shops near me to try it out. Closest is 45 min car trip. Which I don't have the time right now.

So I would like your opinion on which guitar to wonder upon. (800 euros = 939 USD budget)
I was aiming https://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_rg721fm_nt...t_ibanez_331827

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 18 2017, 05:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2017, 09:49 PM
First off I don't know how I missed this one!!! If I don't give a reply to a Mission right away, feel free to shoot me a personal message in the event that i missed it in my post feed. Sorry for the lag! The good news is that you are really tearing this apart!!!! Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)PLANTED RIGHT HAND: Your right hand stays nice and stead and doesn't drift around which is a very important skill to develop and your doing a fine job of it smile.gif

2.)GOOD PALM MUTE: As a result of good right hand technique you have a nice mute which is preventing any extra string noise. Another skill which is crucial to develop.

3.)STRING TRAVERSE: Being able to cleanly go between strings and making it sound like you are just playing on a single string is one of the toughest skills and one that many folks really struggle with. You seem to have a really good grasp on it which is great to see!!

It's wonderful to see you getting such a good handle on so many fundamental concepts that are key to success in bootcamp and in playing in general. You really NAILED ITI on this one and you are more than ready for what's ahead!

In other words you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 15 2017, 01:49 PM) *
Hi Todd!
I am summer working atm to pay up music school monthly feeds.
I am far from being in my best shape biggrin.gif, my arms are full of small stabs from climbing trees and my fingers feel kind of slow and rigid from catching fruit all day.

Still managed to play like 1h of guitar every day.

So here is mission 4, actually this is more of a quick practice session rather than a final take, but seeing I am working with little time I decided to post it.
150 bpms 4 notes per beat ( I think)

Edit: The dream would be 20+bpms, still gotto practice.

Damn my bald spot seems to be getting worse every day unsure.gif RIP genetics.

That's a nice axe smile.gif I'm sure it would make you a happy guy. However, if you are willing to spend that kind of money, I'd honestly look in to maybe buying a used guitar via ebay or something similar and shooting for a prestige guitar. My fave guitar is currently a 2010 prestige that I got for around the price you are talking about called a 3570z. It's in mint condition which is rare but you can find them if you shop around. With ebay, they always let you return stuff if you don't like it even if the seller said "no returns" so there is very little risk. Even a guitar that's 5 or 10 years old, as longs as it's been kept in a case or case in a closet and not played, can play like a new guitar that costs 2000 euro such as the new Ibanez prestige line. However, some folks just don't like hunting down old guitars, or want a new one, so if that's the case that 7621 is still a fine Ibby smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 18 2017, 12:41 PM) *
Hi Todd, believe me or not. But i've played a 100 euros Epiphone SG Special all my life! (It survived traveling around the country, gig, a lot of story and my own blood on it). I am strong believer that if you have the skill you can make any guitar sound good.

But alas, bending the 22 fret so I can hit the 24 fret its quite no effective 80% of the time, even having to play that higher up (19-22 frets) can be a pain, especially on the lower strings.
Now I know you are a big Ibanez fan! And I don't have any shops near me to try it out. Closest is 45 min car trip. Which I don't have the time right now.

So I would like your opinion on which guitar to wonder upon. (800 euros = 939 USD budget)
I was aiming https://www.thomann.de/pt/ibanez_rg721fm_nt...t_ibanez_331827

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 20 2017, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 21 2017, 06:44 PM
Makes sense, I will try and look around the used market. I've a friend who is a completely nerd on that kind of stuff. Will try and find something good.

About picking technique, I had a revelation a few days ago, I used to use the bottom of my palm as an anchor for my picking and it worked fine, but I still wanted to reduce the movement of my hand to the minimum, so I started to use my right hand ring finger as an anchor but it was more of a subconsciousness movement rather than me consciously do it.
Was kind a decision of my body, rather than my brain tongue.gif

I still have an hard time using anchor finger while playing in the low strings. I usually have my ring finger anchored in the high E string when alternate picking in the lower E and A. At least that's how I am able to do it on my SG.

Alas I not that comfortable with it yet, BUT I've noticed a lot more control in my picking hand!

Back to practicing! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 21 2017, 06:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2017, 05:32 AM
Like I always say, pick from the fingers back, not the elbow forward smile.gif Picking from the wrist is a good start. Picking from the thumb and finger is even better and then using the wrist when needed. If you anchor now and then, it's not the end of the world. often it's a sign that your hand is tired and needs something to use as ballast. Great to hear you articulating with your fingers first, wrist second and elbow not at all. Congrats!!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 21 2017, 01:44 PM) *
Makes sense, I will try and look around the used market. I've a friend who is a completely nerd on that kind of stuff. Will try and find something good.

About picking technique, I had a revelation a few days ago, I used to use the bottom of my palm as an anchor for my picking and it worked fine, but I still wanted to reduce the movement of my hand to the minimum, so I started to use my right hand ring finger as an anchor but it was more of a subconsciousness movement rather than me consciously do it.
Was kind a decision of my body, rather than my brain tongue.gif

I still have an hard time using anchor finger while playing in the low strings. I usually have my ring finger anchored in the high E string when alternate picking in the lower E and A. At least that's how I am able to do it on my SG.

Alas I not that comfortable with it yet, BUT I've noticed a lot more control in my picking hand!

Back to practicing! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 28 2017, 03:40 PM
Still practicing mission 5.

Here's a little take, there is quite a few missed notes.

Still trying to bring it up to 160bpm. (150bpm atm). Will post a final take in a couple of days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 29 2017, 05:03 AM
This is QUITE GOOD soldier!! As you know I don't have "Speed" requirements, just precision requirements and you are playing in a precise manner which is good to see!! Good control, good hand synch, good string traverse. Barely a missed note in the entire thing and it's NOT an easy bit to play. It does make a great warmup bit!!! It will get your pinky moving and get blood going to your hands. smile.gif

When you do your final take, I would suggest to try to add some distortion/gain to the signal on your guitar just to see if you are generating any string noise that you don't want. Without any gain is a good way to practice as well, as you can hear each note, but with gain you can see any gaps in your muting that you may not have heard otherwise.

Well played soldier I have no doubt you will badge up at your next Mission Vid!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 28 2017, 10:40 AM) *
Still practicing mission 5.

Here's a little take, there is quite a few missed notes.

Still trying to bring it up to 160bpm. (150bpm atm). Will post a final take in a couple of days.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 12 2017, 06:16 PM
For the past 2-3 years I've been using gain around 00:00 o'clock or 01:30, 02:00 o'clock..
So ye I've bumped the gain a bit as you said in the video, also I tried to record it at 170 bpm! I am at my limit tongue.gif so there is probably some weaker parts. ~

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2017, 08:02 PM
DUDE!!! I mean SOLDIER!!!! When did this happen!!! You've been holding out on me!! Who knew you were such an insane Shredder? I must say Soldier, I'm impressed with the precision you show here. Not even looking down at the neck most of the time, not wagging the wrist, not picking from the elbow, clean articulate strikes, properly muted. Just flat out WOW. You should BURN through the rest of these and get on with the SECOND CHEVRON Missions!

Let's Debrief!.....

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PRECISION: The one thing that I want you to learn and earn more than ANYTHING is PRECISION. The good news is that you have clearly spent some time in the woodshed perfecting your technique.This will come in very handy when you work on writing your own riffs and solos. You are very near the point where nothing that you can imagine will be beyond your reach to play. As they say "your creative ability should not be limited by your technical ability" Your technical ability is on display here and It's impressive.

SYNCH: Maintaining hand synch at speed can be difficult. It keeps some folks out of bootcamp altogether and others from progressing. It's a pain in the neck until you get the hang of it to be honest. But once you do, the sky is the limit. You sir, have a very good handle on it.

MUTE: Just what I like to see. Staccato style muting. Every note struck is clear and distinct from the previous note. This is only possible when you apply enough pressure to get rid of any unwanted note sustain or string noise. For a lick like this, a planted palm mute is critical. There is no space between the notes, so unless you mute well, it will quickly turn to mush. You muted quite well. Nice!

In short Soldier you just.....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Attached Image

*DON"T STOP HERE!! KEEP EM COMING!!!

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 12 2017, 01:16 PM) *
For the past 2-3 years I've been using gain around 00:00 o'clock or 01:30, 02:00 o'clock..
So ye I've bumped the gain a bit as you said in the video, also I tried to record it at 170 bpm! I am at my limit tongue.gif so there is probably some weaker parts. ~

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 14 2017, 09:10 PM
Thx for the kind words.
I don't have the nickname of Retrucci for nothing cool.gif cool.gif.
Joking of course, I still have a lifetime of mountains to climb biggrin.gif. Just trying to suck less than yesterday

Anyways I took inspiration on Mission 6 Pedal Points and created a Thrash with a little smell of tech death riff out of it.

Here's today practice session.

I am still getting used to the shapes, so expect a few missed notes.
As per usual the take is in 70 bpm but the goal will be around 110-120 bpm tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 14 2017, 09:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 16 2017, 09:20 PM
Day 2 of Mission 6.

Man, I really find pedal licks kinda hard. Mainly because I have a hard time keeping that 1 beat in my head.
Usually in shreddy licks, I aim for that 1 beat and let the other fingers fall into place without much thinking, but pedal wise I often lose the track of it.

Plus I tend to tense up in the videos. Especially 90bpm +

Anyways here's a few clips of today session.

Also managed to rise +20bpm these past 2 days. But I fail to play it 100% clean at 90 bpm.

Still a long way before hitting the 110 bpms.

Also added pdf of the lick/riff. If someone viewing the thread wish to try it.

Cheers, Renato.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 16 2017, 09:35 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pedal_lick_riff.pdf ( 102.74K ) Number of downloads: 165

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2017, 06:10 AM
You look like you have a good handle on the concept but that's not the lick in Mission 6? Take a look at the video on the lesson 6 page and then look at the tablature one more time. The lick happens on just one string at a time. Where did you get the lick you are playing here? I like smile.gif But it's just not quite the mission. Give it one more look soldier!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 16 2017, 04:20 PM) *
Day 2 of Mission 6.

Man, I really find pedal licks kinda hard. Mainly because I have a hard time keeping that 1 beat in my head.
Usually in shreddy licks, I aim for that 1 beat and let the other fingers fall into place without much thinking, but pedal wise I often lose the track of it.

Plus I tend to tense up in the videos. Especially 90bpm +

Anyways here's a few clips of today session.

Also managed to rise +20bpm these past 2 days. But I fail to play it 100% clean at 90 bpm.

Still a long way before hitting the 110 bpms.

Also added pdf of the lick/riff. If someone viewing the thread wish to try it.

Cheers, Renato.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 17 2017, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 17 2017, 06:10 AM) *
You look like you have a good handle on the concept but that's not the lick in Mission 6? Take a look at the video on the lesson 6 page and then look at the tablature one more time. The lick happens on just one string at a time. Where did you get the lick you are playing here? I like smile.gif But it's just not quite the mission. Give it one more look soldier!

Sarge

I know, I know tongue.gif
I just got inspired on the concept and created this mini workout, Now I feel if I can't play it at the tempo mentioned. I am not worthy of clearing the mission.

BUT rest assured the submission take for examination will have the licks from mission 6.
Just posting those to keep track of myself more than anything. Hope you don't mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2017, 05:47 AM
Kudos for creative thinking Soldier!! I liked where you were going with smile.gif It works as a sort of barred pull off thing. Cool lick!

As long as you are playing the mission in a precise manner I'm a happy guy but if you want to push for a certain bpm that's certainly a noble goal as well. So dig in Soldier!! Let the Battle begin! I look forward to your mission vid! Feel free to post any related vids that you make along the way smile.gif I've probably taken too many headshots is all. Forward!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 17 2017, 01:34 AM) *
I know, I know tongue.gif
I just got inspired on the concept and created this mini workout, Now I feel if I can't play it at the tempo mentioned. I am not worthy of clearing the mission.

BUT rest assured the submission take for examination will have the licks from mission 6.
Just posting those to keep track of myself more than anything. Hope you don't mind.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 22 2017, 09:33 AM
Hi, Big Boss Todd.

I managed 110 bpms! biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif A bit sloppy, but I am finally getting comfortable at that tempo
At least in the first part of the lick. (similar to exercise 1 - mission 6)

So far I am extremely happy with the results. My overall picking and coordination feels a lot smoother, allowing the notes to sound more confident and fuller! So thank you very much.

I don't know if I will be able to post the final take this following week. I've enrolled in a Jazz music school and start in 3 days.
Still have to figure out the transportation and routes, you see the school is in Lisbon and I am a simple country folk, so It kind feels really overwhelming plus there's a no-stop hurricane in my stomach. tongue.gif wacko.gif

Renato.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 22 2017, 04:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 22 2017, 09:01 PM
Progress is important in bootcamp so I'd say forget about pushing the speed and just focus on posting one take that is precise no matter how slow you have to play it so that you can move forward to the next Mission. You can always keep doing whatever you like at whatever speed with this lick. Just don't let it get you stuck and prevent you from getting on with what's next soldier!!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 22 2017, 04:33 AM) *
Hi, Big Boss Todd.

I managed 110 bpms! biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif A bit sloppy, but I am finally getting comfortable at that tempo
At least in the first part of the lick. (similar to exercise 1 - mission 6)

So far I am extremely happy with the results. My overall picking and coordination feels a lot smoother, allowing the notes to sound more confident and fuller! So thank you very much.

I don't know if I will be able to post the final take this following week. I've enrolled in a Jazz music school and start in 3 days.
Still have to figure out the transportation and routes, you see the school is in Lisbon and I am a simple country folk, so It kind feels really overwhelming plus there's a no-stop hurricane in my stomach. tongue.gif wacko.gif

Renato.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2017, 08:08 PM
Talking to the Boss now, looks like we may be able to work something out so I"ll let you know asap smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 18 2017, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 2 2018, 08:39 PM
I've been really on the downside mellow.gif this past 2 weeks.
Still recovering, but I feel I can only go up to 70% of current abilities.

Still I decided to try and do some stuff today.
Edit: sorry managed to screw up the video again... Do you know of any software that allows you to edit it and fix it on your android.
Rather than having to re do videos.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 2 2018, 08:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:59 AM