Ultra Wide Screen Several Months Later
Todd Simpson
Dec 16 2021, 07:49 AM
GMC:er
I bought one of those ultra wide, curved computer monitors a bit back as you guys know. Some folks told me that they hated these screens for video editing due to the curvature messing with straight lines. Some folks said the curve caused visual distortion issues editing photos, etc.

Having used this thing for several months now, I can confidently say. All of that is rubbish. I should have bought this thing ages ago. If you are working with a standard screen, or worse, a laptop screen, do yourself a HUGE favor and get one of these curved ultra wide screens. It's a game changer. Everything is easier to deal with. it's like having a dual head setup in one big screen. Video editing is no doubt the best part of it. The curvature doesn't impact perception at all and just makes it easier to view a lot of stuff at once. Also, the width makes video editing programs finally feel like they are working properly. In addition it's great for GAMES!! Playstation 4 games look great as do Google Stadia games.
Attached Image
In short. Get one!!! Mine isa 34 inch and I'd say get that size or bigger if possible. These run about $325 in the USA.

SPECS
VIOTEK GNV34CB 34-Inch Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitor | 1080P 100Hz 21:9 | Ultra-Bright VA Panel w/Dynamic Color + FreeSync | HDMI DVI DP 3.5mm | Deep 1500R Curvature (VESA)
*16.7 million displayable colors. 300 nits of brightness. 3000:1 contrast ratio.
*Resolution: 2560x1080p
*Response Time: 8ms GTG (6ms Overdrive)
*Additional Features: Overdrive, GAMEPLUS, AMD FreeSync, G-SYNC Compatible

*wide enough to run adobe premiere at full width and have enough screen to watch top gear on youtube at the same time.
Attached Image

*Check out this lesson on double stops!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/E-Major-Double-Stops/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 16 2021, 08:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2021, 12:13 PM
Instructor
That's interesting Todd! I also was wondering if the curved would have any negative effect when editing video or photos. I have no experience at all with one of these monitors but as I need to update mine, it's one of the possible options.

Thanks for the review!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2021, 03:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 16 2021, 01:13 PM) *
That's interesting Todd! I also was wondering if the curved would have any negative effect when editing video or photos. I have no experience at all with one of these monitors but as I need to update mine, it's one of the possible options.

Thanks for the review!

Yeah, I've heard people say that it can be difficult to see if a line is straight or curved, but it seems to vary from person to person smile.gif

My main monitor is an old TV and is not great for anything. It does 1080p at least though. My second monitor is a 19" Samsung from 2006 that only does 1440x900 resolution. I need to upgrade soon laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 16 2021, 04:34 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm considering the Samsung G9 49" Ultrawide for simracing in the future but may end up with a triple screen depending on other uses

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2021, 07:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 16 2021, 05:34 PM) *
I'm considering the Samsung G9 49" Ultrawide for simracing in the future but may end up with a triple screen depending on other uses

It looks really cool, and I've drooled over it before, but it's a big boy! And too expensive for me laugh.gif I'll probably end up going for something like this:

Or this:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 16 2021, 07:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Dec 16 2021, 08:36 PM
A got a 34 inch curved screen monitor. At first it was realy weird to look at but within a week it feels absolutely normal and I love it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 18 2021, 08:12 PM
No impact at all in my experience. It seems that folks who say that haven't owned one of these things. Then again, maybe some folks have owned one and somehow it didn't work for them. I just can't see how, having used one for a while. It's just perfect. I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 16 2021, 07:13 AM) *

Thanks for the review!

Ive read that as well, but in my experience it's just the case. The slight curve doesn't impact such things at all imho. Thankfully smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2021, 10:43 AM) *
Yeah, I've heard people say that it can be difficult to see if a line is straight or curved, but it seems to vary from person to person smile.gif

My main monitor is an old TV and is not great for anything. It does 1080p at least though. My second monitor is a 19" Samsung from 2006 that only does 1440x900 resolution. I need to upgrade soon laugh.gif

Looks amazing!! How much is it?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2021, 02:24 PM) *
It looks really cool, and I've drooled over it before, but it's a big boy! And too expensive for me laugh.gif I'll probably end up going for something like this:

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 18 2021, 08:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 18 2021, 09:12 PM) *
Looks amazing!! How much is it?

The Odyssey G9 at the cheapest is about 1280 USD here. Directly from Samsung it's more like 1780 USD.

https://www.samsung.com/dk/monitors/gaming/...lc49g95tssrxen/

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 18 2021, 08:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2021, 06:33 AM
For a screen that size that's not too bad! That thing is HUGE!!!!! Dwarfs mine. I don't think it would fit on my desk but I wouldn't my trying wink.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 18 2021, 03:20 PM) *
The Odyssey G9 at the cheapest is about 1280 USD here. Directly from Samsung it's more like 1780 USD.

https://www.samsung.com/dk/monitors/gaming/...lc49g95tssrxen/

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 19 2022, 08:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ordered this one, but from a Danish site of course. I got some money from my parents today (birthday gift) and splashed the rest myself towards this.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0JC-0016-002E7

Also, as I got a free TV about a week back for my bedroom, my current two monitors in my studio room (old Aldi TV and a 2006 Samsung 19") can still be used in my studio. Triple monitor setup! And one of them an ultrawide smile.gif My original plan had been to move the Aldi TV I've been using as main PC monitor to the bedroom, but that's no longer needed.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 19 2022, 11:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2022, 12:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
Quick mock up in Photoshop. I don't really know Photoshop very well, which you might be able to tell laugh.gif Hoping to receive it (bottom one) tomorrow (or Saturday).

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2022, 12:07 AM
That is super awesome!!! I think you are gonna dig it. Great use of bday funds!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 19 2022, 03:23 PM) *
Ordered this one, but from a Danish site of course. I got some money from my parents today (birthday gift) and splashed the rest myself towards this.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0JC-0016-002E7

Also, as I got a free TV about a week back for my bedroom, my current two monitors in my studio room (old Aldi TV and a 2006 Samsung 19") can still be used in my studio. Triple monitor setup! And one of them an ultrawide smile.gif My original plan had been to move the Aldi TV I've been using as main PC monitor to the bedroom, but that's no longer needed.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 22 2022, 01:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
My photoshop mock up wasn't completely off, but the real deal is much better of course! cool.gif

I have so much screen estate now, it's great!

I was used to using a 1920x1080 and a secondary 1440x900.

Now I introduce the AOC CU34G2X...and have thus added 3440x1440.

Since it's an ultrawide and I've kept my old ones around it's almost like a quad setup. I think I've gone to monitor heaven smile.gif It's so much better!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2022, 10:00 PM
Supe congrats!! It's been a great addition to my studio having the wide screen monitor. I really think it's a great addition to any studio setup. I would suggest it to anyone as their next upgrade. There has not been any single purchase that has been as useful and functional on a day to day basis as having this wide screen monitor on my desk. dual screen setup is great but triple head is even better!

Attached Image
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 21 2022, 08:26 PM) *
My photoshop mock up wasn't completely off, but the real deal is much better of course! cool.gif

I have so much screen estate now, it's great!

I was used to using a 1920x1080 and a secondary 1440x900.

Now I introduce the AOC CU34G2X...and have thus added 3440x1440.

Since it's an ultrawide and I've kept my old ones around it's almost like a quad setup. I think I've gone to monitor heaven smile.gif It's so much better!

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2022, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:29 PM